2018 Green Bay Packers Coaching Staff

{Family Ghost}

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:
5 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

With this mentality we should see if Rodgers is willing to take a cut too.

Sorry, that's real football .. have to make cold blooded decisions to stay on top.  Give him a restructured deal with incentives .. if he can stay on the field he gets paid.  There's already a good chance he misses the first 6 games of the season on the pup list.

You can try to extend him, or you can cut him. A tackle with Bulaga's pass blocking skills would probably get more money than he is paid now if we cut him. Cap hits of $7.9 and $8.5 the next 2 years with only $1.6 guaranteed each year....

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd get rid of the fringe players that haven't shown much in the way of growth .. 

The funny thing is your suggestion sounds like such an obvious way of doing business in the NFL, yet would obviously represent a radical departure from what has gone on in Green Bay of late.

Exciting to contemplate that "fringe" or "underachieving" players may find their roster spots in jeopardy going forward.   

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It isn't necessarily wanting him gone .. want cheaper contract .. more incentive based.  The guy is coming off major injury .. shouldn't pay full price for that.

I always thought it seemed like Bulaga was a 28 year old in a 50 year old body. Some agree. AlexGreen and others don't agree. Every year fans have a misconception that there is a line of players waiting at the door to welcome a re-structure or essentially a paycut. It's just not the case. IF some of the rumors are true, how many Josh Sitton scenarios do you want to deal with ?

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It isn't necessarily wanting him gone .. want cheaper contract .. more incentive based.  The guy is coming off major injury .. shouldn't pay full price for that.

7 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

With this mentality we should see if Rodgers is willing to take a cut too.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sorry, that's real football .. have to make cold blooded decisions to stay on top.  Give him a restructured deal with incentives .. if he can stay on the field he gets paid.  There's already a good chance he missed the first 6 games of the season on the pup list.

Bulaga already has a 40k incentive for every game played in 2017 and 2018. Bulaga is getting 8 million a year which isnt a contract thats hurting us. I guarantee by week 7 we'll need Bulaga back. This would not be a good start to Gutz reign.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

I always thought it seemed like Bulaga was a 28 year old in a 50 year old body. Some agree. AlexGreen and others don't agree. Every year fans have a misconception that there is a line of players waiting at the door to welcome a re-structure or essentially a paycut. It's just not the case. If some of the rumors are true, how many Josh Sitton scenarios do you want to deal with ?

If forced to choose on keeping him at his current deal or cutting him loose, I'd cut him loose.  He's coming off another serious injury and is more than likely on the downside of his career..  

6 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Bulaga already has a 40k incentive for every game played in 2017 and 2018. Bulaga is getting 8 million a year which isnt a contract thats hurting us. I guarantee by week 7 we'll need Bulaga back. This would not be a good start to Gutz reign.

8 mil might be a bargain for a solid RT you can depend on .. just not sure you can depend on Bulaga .. he's missed dozens of games as a pro, and money could be put to better use elsewhere. Just my opinion .. don't feel like depending on a 29 year old right tackle with a long injury history.  I think it would be a no-brainer to cut him loose if Spriggs had shown a bit more.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

8 mil might be a bargain for a solid RT you can depend on .. just not sure you can depend on Bulaga .. he's missed dozens of games as a pro, and money could be put to better use elsewhere. Just my opinion .. don't feel like depending on a 29 year old right tackle with a long injury history.  

I hear you but I think we let Bulaga's contract play out. It's not like Bulaga's backups have an injury free history either.

20 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If forced to choose on keeping him at his current deal or cutting him loose, I'd cut him loose.  He's coming off another serious injury and is more than likely on the downside of his career..  

We save less than 5 million by cutting Bulaga.  He's still good enough that 4.7m is worth keeping him around for and it doesn't kill us if he gets hurt again.  Maybe if we had a proven guy ready to step in but everyone else on the roster has looked mostly bad at RT up to this point.

I strongly believe Matthews can have a late resurgence to his career if we move him around more intensively than we have done in the past. You see the impact Woodson and Polamalu had on their respective defences due to moving around and giving offensive coordinators headaches with their superb playmaking abilities.

Woodson became DPOTY at age 32. Jason Taylor as well at 32 after transitioning to a 3-4 defence. Matthews will be 32 soon and I don't see why not he cannot reach that level too.

42 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

8 mil might be a bargain for a solid RT you can depend on .. just not sure you can depend on Bulaga .. he's missed dozens of games as a pro, and money could be put to better use elsewhere. Just my opinion .. don't feel like depending on a 29 year old right tackle with a long injury history.  I think it would be a no-brainer to cut him loose if Spriggs had shown a bit more.

Almost 4 dozen games in 8 seasons (46).  I'd imagine that there aren't many offensive lineman who have missed more games in the last 8 years.

Just got caught up on the coaches press conferences.

Both Philbin and Pettine knocked it out of the park.  I love Pettine's approach - multiple, yet simple enough for young guys.  Use the guys you have.  Rush LBer can play from a 3 or stance.  Keep fundamentals a priority.  Fix communication prior to the snap.  

Philbin getting MM to rewrite the playbook also excites me.  There are just too many old concepts that the league has caught up with that need to go.

12 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Just got caught up on the coaches press conferences.

Both Philbin and Pettine knocked it out of the park.  I love Pettine's approach - multiple, yet simple enough for young guys.  Use the guys you have.  Rush LBer can play from a 3 or stance.  Keep fundamentals a priority.  Fix communication prior to the snap.  

Philbin getting MM to rewrite the playbook also excites me.  There are just too many old concepts that the league has caught up with that need to go.

Yep .. very impressed with both.  Love that they are reworking the offense. I think that's well overdue.  Pettine is a really well spoken guy .. I get the idea that the players will enjoy taking instructions from him.  They had clearly lost confidence in what Dom was doing ... they should enjoy a fresh new approach.

22 minutes ago, SSG said:

Almost 4 dozen games in 8 seasons (46).  I'd imagine that there aren't many offensive lineman who have missed more games in the last 8 years.

I don't know. Offensive linemen get hit on every play, unlike some other positions. Every Play. That makes the odds of getting injured go way up. For that reason alone it's important to have a lot of depth on the O-line (and D-line). By today's standards Bulaga's contract is not expensive. If he spends 6 games on PUP he's really a 54th player for us. When the inevitable injury happens, he eventually comes off PUP and helps out. Between Murphy, Sprigs, Bakhtiari, and Bulaga, if we can keep two healthy at any one time, we're in business.

Archived