TCMD- INSIDE THE LOCKER THREAD

EaglesPeteC

Just now, winitall said:

I would be more than happy to adjust the list with yearly numbers but you haven’t released the yearly breakdown for kyle fuller yet?  

Haha!  Nobody asked ;)  But I could see why you would be interested

Base Salary    Base Guar.    Prorated    Roster Bonus    W/O Bonus    Cap Number
2018    $6,000,000         $8,000,000             $14,000,000 
2019    $1,000,000         $8,000,000     $10,500,000         $19,500,000 
2020    $1,000,000         $8,000,000     $16,000,000         $25,000,000 
2021    $1,000,000         $8,000,000     $23,000,000         $32,000,000 
2022    $1,000,000         $8,000,000     $32,000,000         $41,000,000 
2023    $53,000,000                                                              $53,000,000 

9 minutes ago, winitall said:

In 2023, you are going to be paying Solder and Fuller a combined $116 million.  

And you are presuming (wrongfully) that they will still be with the team (Fuller might still be playing, but I expect Solder will actually retire before then).  Plus IRL player's renegotiate contracts all the time.  If they don't, they end up like Brandon Marshall or Brian Cushing.

For example, Jets cut Ben Ijalana today IRL

He signed last year - Benjamin Ijalana signed a 2 year, $10,250,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $3,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,125,000.

Except 2018 has an option before start of the year which they exercised today meaning he didn't collect over $10M. He collected like $6.9M.

I have a fellow professor who teaches accounting. He always says the ledger can say anything I want it to.  (I always tell him, yeah but try explaining that to the judge!) Same thing with playing contracts - as long as the parties agree.

16 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

And you are presuming (wrongfully) that they will still be with the team (Fuller might still be playing, but I expect Solder will actually retire before then).  Plus IRL player's renegotiate contracts all the time.  If they don't, they end up like Brandon Marshall or Brian Cushing.

For example, Jets cut Ben Ijalana today IRL

He signed last year - Benjamin Ijalana signed a 2 year, $10,250,000 contract with the New York Jets, including a $2,500,000 signing bonus, $3,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,125,000.

Except 2018 has an option before start of the year which they exercised today meaning he didn't collect over $10M. He collected like $6.9M.

I have a fellow professor who teaches accounting. He always says the ledger can say anything I want it to.  (I always tell him, yeah but try explaining that to the judge!) Same thing with playing contracts - as long as the parties agree.

Good luck with that if Solder (or more likely the NFLPA) sues saying you negotiated the deal in bad faith.  Considering you have already mentioned that you have 0 desire to actually honor the contract, it is probably going to be a quick case.  Not to mention you are going to have to make that explicitly clear that you were negotiating in bad faith when all of Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, and half the rest of your team are holding out this offseason.  I see no way on earth that Hopkins' agent is going to sit by while his star player is making less than half in APY than one of his teammates, especially a non-QB.  If you don't think that agents look at that kind of thing, I have some beach front property in Idaho to sell you.  

33 minutes ago, winitall said:

Good luck with that if Solder (or more likely the NFLPA) sues saying you negotiated the deal in bad faith.  Considering you have already mentioned that you have 0 desire to actually honor the contract, it is probably going to be a quick case.  Not to mention you are going to have to make that explicitly clear that you were negotiating in bad faith when all of Hopkins, Watt, Clowney, and half the rest of your team are holding out this offseason.  I see no way on earth that Hopkins' agent is going to sit by while his star player is making less than half in APY than one of his teammates, especially a non-QB.  If you don't think that agents look at that kind of thing, I have some beach front property in Idaho to sell you.  

Drew Rosenhaus is that you?

You realize of course - teams do deals like this IRL?  The player and the agent like the extra year for show (and compensation of the agent's 3%).  

You also realize that the guaranteed $$$$ they are making as well as the LTBE incentives mean that the players are making more off these contracts than most of their other contracts combined?

Or are you being facetious?

cant-tell-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

13 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Drew Rosenhaus is that you?

You realize of course - teams do deals like this IRL?  The player and the agent like the extra year for show (and compensation of the agent's 3%).  

You also realize that the guaranteed $$$$ they are making as well as the LTBE incentives mean that the players are making more off these contracts than most of their other contracts combined?

Or are you being facetious?

cant-tell-if-serious-or-trolling.jpg

I mean idc that you did it... but there is no way you actually believe that your contracts are set up in any way like any contract ever done in the NFL right?

Just now, samsel23 said:

I mean idc that you did it... but there is no way you actually believe that your contracts are set up in any way like any contract ever done in the NFL right?

I am specifically talking about the empty year... but as Forge pointed out these 2 players are getting PAID for the 1st 4 years of the contract.

If I was a young player like Fuller... it would be tempting.  I think Solder is probably looking for more stability.

Also, it has never been done.. until it has been done. (And no...  contracts like these have never been done in the NFL before, but teams are negotiating more hefty roster bonuses in case things go south with a player.  Like Mo Wilkerson, for instance)

I am pretty sure NFL agents are watching what some of the NBA superstars are doing with their 1 year PO contracts.  Key difference has been that most NBA contracts are fully guaranteed.  That has changed in recent years as players have been willing to accept more up front guaranteed options while giving teams a buyout option (b/c players anticipate an increase in the salary cap). 

Rumor is RB Branden Oliver is not expected to return to the Chargers after they signed former Tampa Bay RB Charles Sims to back up Melvin Gordon. Also, no contract talks between the Chargers and future HoFer Antonio Gates, who has played 15 seasons for the Chargers and has 114 TDs.

News is swirling that the New York Giants have targeted one of the leagues tagged players.  With their offensive line is shambles one can only guess its Andrew Norwell.  The league's premier guard.  However, it would cost the Giants a first round pick and they currently have the 6th overall after trading down with the Jets.

Cameron Meredith seems to be another fan favorite as teams flood in the land the next big receiver.

Centers are another popular position as the minutes tick down to the deadline.

Archived