Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Regards the sentiment that "Cousins is about to get paid"......

Yes, because he'll decide not to retire and take up gardening - he's about to cash in - again.

But make no mistake, the guy's already a multi-millionaire. WA FT'd him two years running - which is money directly into the bank.

He could quit tomorrow - save his brain a whole bunch of abuse - and not have a worry in the world.

He might not be the greatest QB of all time....but some folks would consider that being a success.

Everyone knows hes got money...but those comments are about how now hes going to, most likely, have the biggest contract in nfl history. 

5 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Everyone knows hes got money...but those comments are about how now hes going to, most likely, have the biggest contract in nfl history. 

Cousins? Never happen. Or - correction - any GM that gives him / his talent level - the "greatest contract in NFL history" should immediately be shown the door.

I mean - at some point the madness of ever escalating contract values has to end.

There's merit in thinking that WA could have taken advantage of dumping the QB they didnt want - move up to snag the
QB of the future" of their choosing - and fortify the roster with the money saved over the course of the QBs rookie contract. They've alot of holes to fill and that "process" has helped alot of teams build formidable rosters and become repeat playoff contenders.

Edited by Leader

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It's minor surgery that has a 3-5 week recovery time. He will be fine for his physical.

Cousins is going to warrant a massive deal with a bidding war about to ensue. We no longer have loads and loads of cap (although we do have a solid amount if a couple guys are let go), and are going to have to pay some guys here soon.

I like Cousins and he's definitely an upgrade, but you have to be damn sure this guy can will a team to the SB for sure if you're handing out 90M+ guaranteed.

That will be Coughin and co.'s decision on whether that's worth it.

As for you blaming Bortles for the 2nd half. I have zero idea how you come to that. The OC was largely calling run-run-pass and putting him in 3rd and long and playing not to lose. That was not on Blake. 

They went conservative because they had zero trust in Bortles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Cousins? Never happen. Or - correction - any GM that gives him / his talent level - the "greatest contract in NFL history" should immediately be shown the door.

Yeah but it's today's rate for paying an above average QB. 2 years from now his contract will look good compared to now.

4 minutes ago, everlong said:

They went conservative because they had zero trust in Bortles.

If that is truly the case the option won't be picked up. They aren't going into next season unless they believe/trust Bortles to get us back to where we were and finish things.

Coaches do things like the Jaguars did all the time when they get solid leads. Plus, when you have the top rushing team in the league AND a top 2 defense...they probably thought that was enough.

Edited by .Buzz

1 minute ago, steadypimpin said:

Yeah but it's today's rate for paying an above average QB. 2 years from now his contract will look good compared to now.

Well as I mentioned on the portion you edited out - this concept that QB value will forever escalate - or should be - is foolish. Eventually the stats any one player is capable of producing hits a ceiling - including QBs. Their salaries should as well IMO. Cousins simply isnt worth TOP NFL dollar.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I mean - at some point the madness of ever escalating contract values has to end.

There's merit in thinking that WA could have taken advantage of dumping the QB they didnt want - move up to snag the
QB of the future" of their choosing - and fortify the roster with the money saved over the course of the QBs rookie contract. They've alot of holes to fill and that "process" has helped alot of teams build formidable rosters and become repeat playoff contenders.

It wont end. It wont end because if cousins works out they’ve locked in a franchise qb. Its why every year a qb gets a dumb contract. Look at oswieler. Cousins is easily the best qb (including talanet and age) in a very long time. and honestly i cant think of a better one in the last 15 years. Hes going to have 5+ teams fighting over him. If hes doesnt get the fattest paychecl weve ever seen then his agent should be fired.

Just now, eagles101 said:

It wont end. It wont end because if cousins works out they’ve locked in a franchise qb. Its why every year a qb gets a dumb contract. Look at oswieler. Cousins is easily the best qb (including talanet and age) in a very long time. and honestly i cant think of a better one in the last 15 years. Hes going to have 5+ teams fighting over him. If hes doesnt get the fattest paychecl weve ever seen then his agent should be fired.

It should end. For obvious reasons: There is IN FACT only so much any one player can produce. QB included. Osweiler was a joke. A clear cut GM / Elway talent evaluation mistake. Clearly overpaid. A Scott Mitchell redux.

Just now, Leader said:

It should end. For obvious reasons: There is IN FACT only so much any one player can produce. QB included. Osweiler was a joke. A clear cut GM / Elway talent evaluation mistake. Clearly overpaid. A Scott Mitchell redux.

Ya it should end but it wont. Its dumb to pay free agents that have proven almost nothing to get these contracts but its going to happen. Theres one team that gets overzealous and pay to much. Your logic is based on everyone deciding not to pay anymore than what has already been paid. Osweiler got paid and wasnt half the free agent cousins is. 

2 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Ya it should end but it wont. Its dumb to pay free agents that have proven almost nothing to get these contracts but its going to happen. Theres one team that gets overzealous and pay to much. Your logic is based on everyone deciding not to pay anymore than what has already been paid. Osweiler got paid and wasnt half the free agent cousins is. 

Well we live in different worlds then......cause in a world where we both agree "it should end" - I believe eventually rational thought will lead to it ending. You think it will continue going up, up and up. Listen - this concept applies even to the GBPs and AR. There is in fact only so many yards and TDs per season he's capable of throwing. If you continue to pile up $$$ into this finite amount of production - eventually it takes away from the overall talent - or more precisely stated - the talent valuations you can apply to the roster overall.

Hence - the people eyeballing your talent need to remain very sharp - or you overpay for middle of the road skill just to keep them on the roster and fit them into your salary structure.

Anyway - I'm done here. Nice chat.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well we live in different worlds then......cause in a world where we both agree "it should end" - I believe eventually rational thought will lead to it ending. You think it will continue going up, up and up. Listen - this concept applies even to the GBPs and AR. There is in fact only so many yards and TDs per season he's capable of throwing. If you continue to pile up $$$ into this finite amount of production - eventually it takes away from the overall talent - or more precisely stated - the talent valuations you can apply to the roster overall.

Hence - the people eyeballing your talent need to remain very sharp - or you overpay for middle of the road skill just to keep them on the roster and fit them into your salary structure.

Anyway - I'm done here. Nice chat.

It wont go infinitely up though. Like osweiler didnt get a record deal. He just got a dumb deal. Alex smith did just get a record deal, just a dumb one. Cousins is a good enough talent, in a good enough market, he can easily bring in the biggest contract.

17 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

It wont go infinitely up though. Like osweiler didnt get a record deal. He just got a dumb deal. Alex smith did just get a record deal, just a dumb one. Cousins is a good enough talent, in a good enough market, he can easily bring in the biggest contract.

It's still too early to call it a record deal. A record of guarantees, on the surface, perhaps. But "guaranteed" is a very funny word in an NFL contract. You can have somewhat unguaranteed guarantees. Like, the base salary being guaranteed if he's on the roster in march 2020 might be counted as a guarantee right now, even though it's not yet guaranteed. You can make guarantees say a whole lot of things. And when these reports come out with yearly averages and record guarantees, I feel like it's always agents patting themselves in the back. It's like the old Nate Clements deal of 8yr/80m, that had the last two years voided as soon as he played a single snap, or something like that. There's just so much fluff in NFL contracts, so I think this is all about agents. Record deal in appearance only. 

• Like 2