Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If that is truly the case the option won't be picked up. They aren't going into next season unless they believe/trust Bortles to get us back to where we were and finish things.

Coaches do things like the Jaguars did all the time when they get solid leads. Plus, when you have the top rushing team in the league AND a top 2 defense...they probably thought that was enough.

They probably picked up the option because they didn't want uncertainty at the position.

After 28-3, playing conservative against NE is a mistake.

Edited by everlong

1 hour ago, eagles101 said:

Its in his best interest to be on a team that doesnt want him there? Im guessing it wont make for a pleasant work environment. Getting cut would be good for him if thats the case. He also should fetch a good deal on the market.

There's no way he makes more than $19M on the open market. That's how much his 5th year option is worth, fully guarenteed.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

There's no way he makes more than $19M on the open market. That's how much his 5th year option is worth, fully guarenteed.

Ya but if he craps the bed next year with the jags his next contract most likely wouldnt make up for how much he would make in a new contract. 

If he got a  deal with 20 mil guaranteed over the life of the contract then he would be in the positive. And his good playoff performance should get him a decent with a deal that has lower one year number but better overall money.

Just now, eagles101 said:

Ya but if he craps the bed next year with the jags his next contract most likely wouldnt make up for how much he would make in a new contract. 

If he got a  deal with 20 mil guaranteed over the life of the contract then he would be in the positive. And his good playoff performance should get him a decent with a deal that has lower one year number but better overall money.

No one is going to give him that much guaranteed money or a long-term contract without some clause to terminate after a season or two. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see many teams thinking he's the answer. Regardless, if he craps the bed next year with any team he comes no where near $19M.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

No one is going to give him that much guaranteed money or a long-term contract without some clause to terminate after a season or two. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see many teams thinking he's the answer. Regardless, if he craps the bed next year with any team he comes no where near $19M.

With the market going like it is him getting 20 or close to 20 isnt crazy. Then it gives him a legitimate chance to prove himself and get more. If he goes back to the jags. They in turn screw him by giving a poor work environment then he hits the market and gets nothing or near nothing. 

I think hes proven himself as a capable starter and could fetch a good deal for a team that loses out on a top pick or cousins. 

such a disaster for washington...

1) downgrade at QB (with a 4 year commitment paying 20+ mil per year)

2) lose a really good corner on his rookie deal

3) lose a 3rd round pick

but KC might also be screwing the pooch. putting all their eggs in the mahomes basket. they have a win-now roster and are trusting this kid to take them to the promised land

Edited by raiderrocker18

2 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

3) lose a 3rd round pick

but KC might also be screwing the pooch. putting all their eggs in the mahomes basket. they have a win-now roster and are trusting this kid to take them to the promised land

I mean they weren't going anywhere with Alex Smith so why not.

• Like 1

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

3) lose a 3rd round pick

I don't think that it's much different production / talent wise at quarterback for them. I think that they are just as competitive with either guy. But Smith is an older version of Cousins. So I wouldn't say downgrade at qb...I'd say lateral move at quarterback while getting older lol. 

I wouldn't have given up Fuller, but there's certainly nothing wrong with teh third round pick. Smith was always going to fetch more than just a third. So while they may have overpaid by a bit, I don't think the trade value is super out of whack. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

3) lose a 3rd round pick

I think this clearly means that they are comfortable with Mahomes from what he's shown in practice. I don't see Reid making this move unless he was sure Mahomes was ready. Granted, it could end up backfiring but he's had a year to learn the system and this is a league where young signal callers can come in and produce right away.

Better to roll the dice aside from waste the "win now" roster with Alex Smith, anyway. Smith's limitations have been well-documented at this point; Mahomes could be what they need to push the offense to the next level.

40 minutes ago, eagles101 said:
45 minutes ago, Forge said:

This was posted by  @J-ALL-DAY in the 49er forum (want to give him credit). 

wow...no wonder Washington had to give up so much. Smith was pretty clearly in demand. 

Sweet jesus. The qb market this year is about to go ham if smith is getting that much.

CLE likely was not willing to give the longer deal with higher guarantees.  CLE still would have likely drafted a rookie to develop and use Smith as a the fill in for 1-2 years.

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that it's much different production / talent wise at quarterback for them. I think that they are just as competitive with either guy. But Smith is an older version of Cousins. So I wouldn't say downgrade at qb...I'd say lateral move at quarterback while getting older lol. 

I wouldn't have given up Fuller, but there's certainly nothing wrong with teh third round pick. Smith was always going to fetch more than just a third. So while they may have overpaid by a bit, I don't think the trade value is super out of whack. 

I heard a fan say it would have been better to tank with Colt McCoy. Maybe they were right.