Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

but they're also talking about not even hiring an OC.

Are they?  I noticed a couple of other teams have that set up...namely the Texans and 49ers.  I think it's kinda silly because that puts way too much work on your shoulders as a HC.  

Just now, disaacs said:

Are they?  I noticed a couple of other teams have that set up...namely the Texans and 49ers.  I think it's kinda silly because that puts way too much work on your shoulders as a HC.  

remember when Red McCombs was too cheap to hire a OC for Tice? who was also the lowest paid head coach in the league...

Tice had to have his offensive line coach double as the OC then.

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

Yeah..Steve Loney...and he sucked at it.  

Yeah, those were dark days that I prefer to forget about. Loney and Tice were in over their heads and it was obvious. I don't blame them for the situation. They were doing the best they could and putting in an honest effort. I thought Tice was a good coach that was thrust into a position for which he didn't have proper training and little chance of success. He did a decent job considering how little help he got. I dare say that 90% of people that have never been more than a position coach at any level -- not even pop warner -- and didn't have training and support from ownership would have performed much worse than Tice performed. But he was way in over his head and it showed.

I see that Tice is retiring now. I'll always remember him fondly. The Stringer ordeal was a trying time for Tice; he kept grinding. In some ways, the organization has never recovered. Offensive line has been a priority need for the team ever since that unfortunate day. RIP 77.

Red, on the other hand, he was not putting in an honest effort to put a winning product on the field. He was in the venture solely for turning a quick buck. By that metric, I suppose, he was successful. However, I couldn't have been happier when he finally cashed in his chips by selling the franchise that he was letting wither.

Brett Favre: “I’m able to function the way I so choose, at least up to this point. Tomorrow may be totally different. Tomorrow I may not remember who I am, I may not know where I live, and that’s the frightening thing for us football players.”

“I’m not going to encourage [my eight year old grandson] to play football. I’m not saying I would discourage him, but I would be cringing every time I saw my grandson get tackled, because I know, physically, what’s at stake. How do you make the game safer? You don’t play.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/18/favre-fears-that-tomorrow-i-may-not-remember-who-i-am/

OK, I thought this was pretty funny....

Listening to the PowerTrip on KFAN, and somehow they got on the topic of Sid Hartman. Vikings LS Kevin McDermott is in studio and reminisced about getting interviewed by Sid his first day with the team. Then two days later, apparently Sid wanted to interview him again, thinking McDermott was actually Robert Blanton.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

OK, I thought this was pretty funny....

Listening to the PowerTrip on KFAN, and somehow they got on the topic of Sid Hartman. Vikings LS Kevin McDermott is in studio and reminisced about getting interviewed by Sid his first day with the team. Then two days later, apparently Sid wanted to interview him again, thinking McDermott was actually Robert Blanton.

That is pretty funny.  It's gonna be a sad day when Sid eventually does go to the press box in the sky.  

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who’s going to get the bigger send off, Sid Hartman, or Bud Grant?

Considering how many close, personal friends Sid has, I imagine his memorial  will be larger, but they'll both have a significant number that may take up a 2-3 cathedrals.  They may have to have multiple memorials.  :D 

• Like 1