Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If he comes back during the season, why would we lose the pick?

He'll still be employed by the Bengals.

From what I read on the Nick Olson thread is that while it likely won't be a 3rd it will likely be a 4th. Snaps played/snap counts are part of the formula that determines the comp picks.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, swede700 said:

I am not worried about whether the pick will be in the third or fourth. The bigger picture is that had the Vikings matched the offer or beat it to get Waynes to sign with them they would be paying that contract while he is injured. Now they are not. They are far better taking the compensatory pick reduction than they would have been had they kept him. 

It really stinks for Waynes. It is the type of injury that he should be able to come back from, but missing that time with the new team may make it hard for him to prove his worth enough to see that full contract pay out. This is why it is good for players to get as much guaranteed on a contract as they can. The Bengals have invested enough in him that he'll likely have next year to prove his worth even if he never gets a full chance this year. If he gets hurt again he might not have a chance that third year of the contract.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I am not worried about whether the pick will be in the third or fourth. The bigger picture is that had the Vikings matched the offer or beat it to get Waynes to sign with them they would be paying that contract while he is injured. Now they are not. They are far better taking the compensatory pick reduction than they would have been had they kept him. 

It really stinks for Waynes. It is the type of injury that he should be able to come back from, but missing that time with the new team may make it hard for him to prove his worth enough to see that full contract pay out. This is why it is good for players to get as much guaranteed on a contract as they can. The Bengals have invested enough in him that he'll likely have next year to prove his worth even if he never gets a full chance this year. If he gets hurt again he might not have a chance that third year of the contract.

Its possible that instead of him being in Cincinnati and rather in Minnesota, he may have not gotten injured.

You change a lot of dynamics with a big move like that. I believe its called the Butterfly Effect.