This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

Just now, wgbeethree said:

I don't think DVOA is biased.

Did you watch the game?

Immediately after watching that game they decide to play it again. Gun to your head, who are you betting to win the game?

I did watch the game and I trust DVOA over my eye test

I think it's 50/50 who wins a rematch, would lean KC in KC and DET in DET.

They are both really solid teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I did watch the game and I trust DVOA over my eye test

I think it's 50/50 who wins a rematch, would lean KC in KC and DET in DET.

They are both really solid teams.

I don't get how you would or could use DVOA to form an opinion on the first game of the season but I don't really care that much either and am happy to agree to disagree and move on. 

Just now, wgbeethree said:

I don't get how you would or could use DVOA to form an opinion on the first game of the season but I don't really care that much either and am happy to agree to disagree and move on. 

I'm not using it to form an opinion on the first game. I'm using it to form an opinion on a game that occurred right now. All evidence suggests Detroit is absolutely an equal to KC right now. 

They are above them in the best available single metric.

They beat them h2h on the road.

What's the argument to the contrary? That KC has been better in previous seasons? Not a compelling argument. In the NFL, things change quickly. Best lesson I ever learned years ago is to strongly weight recent, relevant data.

I know I probably shouldn't comment on this, but doing 1,000 simulations each of home, away and neutral site for Chiefs-Lions. 

@ Kansas City - Chiefs win 61% of the time with a mean score of 25.48 to 21.67

@ Detroit - Chiefs win 53% of the time with a mean score of 25.60 to 24.34

@ Neutral site - Chiefs win 57% of the time with a mean score of 25.48 to 22.97 

39 minutes ago, R T said:

I know I probably shouldn't comment on this, but doing 1,000 simulations each of home, away and neutral site for Chiefs-Lions. 

@ Kansas City - Chiefs win 61% of the time with a mean score of 25.48 to 21.67

@ Detroit - Chiefs win 53% of the time with a mean score of 25.60 to 24.34

@ Neutral site - Chiefs win 57% of the time with a mean score of 25.48 to 22.97 

Is your simulation a coin flip or something more sophisticated?

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Does Detroit win by even more with all their guys playing that weren't?

Glad Detroit is doing well .. they are a decent team for this year and probably next.  They should be though as they've had top 5 draft choices in each round for the past 20+ years.  They've finally hit on some guys but in a few years the salary cap hell will begin along with finding a new qb.  They'd better make hay the next couple of years cuz they'll be back in the bottom half sooner than later.  That's not a knock on them .. it's just the cycle and history they've shown overall for years.