This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Two things! 

1. This is my parade, and you will not rain on it! 😁

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

2. I don't need to be a talent evaluator to be able to see Clifford doesn't have it and never will. He's destined for a couple of teams practice squad and then figuring out what he wants to be when he grows up. 

3. BONUS thing. I'd love for Clifford to prove me wrong, but I hope he never gets a chance to prove me right in green and gold. 

I guess we are seeing different Sean Cliffords out there.  From what I have seen so far, I don't know why he couldn't carve out a good career as a back-up, especially if he is good in the classroom.  Don't get me wrong, I am not going to champion Sean Clifford, we all know I fight for my liege Kirk Cousins, I am just saying that Clifford has been competent so far in his young career.  

28 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am just saying that Clifford has been competent so far in his young career.  

Based on one pass attempt and 2 rushes, which were kneel downs? 

You don't know if a quarterback is competent until they have to play meaningful snaps. Look at all the angst at the beginning of the last season. 

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

"That being said, that outside fade Pratt threw this week is a ball I never expect to see from Clifford."

Yeah, you kind of did. In essence you said Clifford can't make all the throws, which is a pretty accurate statement. 

No.  There are plenty of legit backup QB's who can't make all the throws.  That's a big part of what makes them backups.

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Based on one pass attempt and 2 rushes, which were kneel downs? 

You don't know if a quarterback is competent until they have to play meaningful snaps. Look at all the angst at the beginning of the last season. 

And his preseason last year.  I was expecting Graham Harrell from the way everyone complained, and that isn't what happened.  He looked like a back-up QB.  I guess I just don't know what you are looking for in that position.  

• Like 1

If you are looking for a backup QB, another team that may have a decent one they end up letting go of, is the Jaguars.  C.J. Beathard has been their backup for a while.  He beat out Gardner Minshew for the job a couple years ago (although they claim that Minshew wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to start).  Beathard is a decent backup, but he may be out of a job because the Jags have former Patriots starter, Mac Jones, and he looked very good in their Week 1 game against the Chiefs. 

53 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

If you are looking for a backup QB, another team that may have a decent one they end up letting go of, is the Jaguars.  C.J. Beathard has been their backup for a while.  He beat out Gardner Minshew for the job a couple years ago (although they claim that Minshew wanted to go somewhere he had a chance to start).  Beathard is a decent backup, but he may be out of a job because the Jags have former Patriots starter, Mac Jones, and he looked very good in their Week 1 game against the Chiefs. 

I'm not sure we are looking for a backup quarterback. There is this one ******* poster, me, who thinks we need one though. Not sure he knows what he's talking about and if we don't get one, I hope he's wrong. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

JJ mccarthy looked like he had a pretty nice debut.  Actually all the rookie QBs looked pretty dang good

If he could just play the Raiders back up secondary each week!

Preseason stats are a mixed bag. Second half Preseason stats are inconsequential. Don't fall for it. Too much knee jerk reactions for one Preseason game.

5 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

If he could just play the Raiders back up secondary each week!

Preseason stats are a mixed bag. Second half Preseason stats are inconsequential. Don't fall for it. Too much knee jerk reactions for one Preseason game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9lYdZFpfy8

Above is every pass play from McCarthy.  He threw two very nice deep passes that hit the receiver in stride.  He also stood in the pocket and took a big hit to deliver a very good pass as well.  Wasn't as good throwing more contested passes.  He needs to get down, or out of bounds on that run toward the end on third and long, rather than take the hit, that seems like a young QB thing though.

Way too early to crown him.  But also nothing to say that he was bad.