This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

I really don't think the plan in Minnesota was to hit the ground running with either Sam Darnold or a rookie and compete for real stakes this year.  Having McCarthy sit a bit is going to be a bummer for Vikings fans in terms of "the games will be less interesting" but that team doesn't have the horses on defense anyway.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:03 AM, Mazrimiv said:

NFC-N will be a slugfest if Williams gets up to speed quickly.

Bears rave over Caleb Williams' preseason debut

Williams being legit good in his debut was one of those good/bad things....bad in that we may no longer be able to crap on the Bears regularly, but the rivalry regaining some teeth is actually good in the macro sense - sure it's nice to be 18-1 vs the Bears over the last decade (I didn't lookup the actual number) but it's even better to beat them out for the division or knock them out of the playoffs vs just being another L in their third straight 10+ loss season

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Heck, there are more than a few starters who can't make all the throws. 

We have everyone's favorite "limited" QB in Brock Purdy.  Heck, even a guy like Burrow has real arm strength limitations. Doesn't mean he's not a legit QB1. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Williams being legit good in his debut was one of those good/bad things....bad in that we may no longer be able to crap on the Bears regularly, but the rivalry regaining some teeth is actually good in the macro sense - sure it's nice to be 18-1 vs the Bears over the last decade (I didn't lookup the actual number) but it's even better to beat them out for the division or knock them out of the playoffs vs just being another L in their third straight 10+ loss season

Williams landing in CHI is going to make the NFC-N a tough division to win.  I consider that a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

We have everyone's favorite "limited" QB in Brock Purdy.  Heck, even a guy like Burrow has real arm strength limitations. Doesn't mean he's not a legit QB1. 

The guy who I always think of is Minshew, though he's kind of a "1.5" QB - competent starter who you'll be constantly looking to upgrade from. 

Watching him, it's clear he knows what to do and has good instincts, but his deep outs just seem to kinda hang in the air. If he loses a smidge of his arm strength he's in trouble. 

• Like 1

Arm talent will get you drafted, what you have between the ears will keep you around.

Zach Wilson was always late on his reads.

Justin Fields could not pull the trigger.

Both of them have WAY more arm talent than a guy like Minshew.

You could make an argument someone like Minshew is a better QB than both of those guys, certainly with Wilson, who brings very little else to the table.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You wouldn't need to argue very hard.  It's the simple truth.

Current state I would agree.

The Minshew type QB are capped at how good they can be based on the libations physically whereas Fields/ Zach Wilson have that higher ceiling IF the mental stuff gets improved.  Which we have seen though NFL history is not as easy as some coaches/ GM would think it is

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Current state I would agree.

The Minshew type QB are capped at how good they can be based on the libations physically whereas Fields/ Zach Wilson have that higher ceiling IF the mental stuff gets improved.  Which we have seen though NFL history is not as easy as some coaches/ GM would think it is

Physical libations are a real ****

Minshew is loved by his teammates, he can win you a few games in a pinch, but has physical limitations that aren't going to improve.  He's a great example of a QB who definitely cannot make all the throws, but does other things well enough to be an ideal QB2.

• Like 1

Now I know some of you are too young to have developed a true hatred of the Cowboys, BUT—everytime I see someone call for their doom this season I can’t help but smile.

When McCarthy said the difference between Green Bay and Dallas was Jerry Jones I took that quite personally given he won so damn much in Green Bay.

I’m not stupid enough to count Mike out yet, because he was a top notch offensive guy and there’s no one you can link to Rodgers development more than him. They’ll have a say.

But I can’t help but remember Matt LaFleur is a full tier better coach for both sides of the ball and in the locker room.

59 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Now I know some of you are too young to have developed a true hatred of the Cowboys, BUT—everytime I see someone call for their doom this season I can’t help but smile.

When McCarthy said the difference between Green Bay and Dallas was Jerry Jones I took that quite personally given he won so damn much in Green Bay.

I’m not stupid enough to count Mike out yet, because he was a top notch offensive guy and there’s no one you can link to Rodgers development more than him. They’ll have a say.

But I can’t help but remember Matt LaFleur is a full tier better coach for both sides of the ball and in the locker room.

Why take that personally? We literally fired him and Jerry Jones gave him a second chance with a pretty damn good team. Of course the dude is going to sing his praises. 

On 8/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, Mazrimiv said:

I've never seen anybody question Joe Burrow's arm strength. 

Joe Montana went in the 3rd round because of his 'arm strength!' IF you watched him play at Notre Dame, he was CLEARLY the best quarterback in college football. 

Not saying Purday is Montana, but he's closer to Montana than he is being a scrub.