Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

I am interested to see what moves this team makes before the deadline. I don’t really think we have the minor-league assets to acquire a big-name. But I would imagine that there might be some bullpen arms out there that teams will try to sell off, that could help us.

We all know what is ahead of us after the All Star break.

A move for another starting pitcher will need to be made. Starting Friday 7/12, the Tribe is not afforded another off day until Monday 7/29.

The most logical move would be to recall either Zach Plesac or Aaron Civale. I really like the idea of the 5 outfielders that we currently have on the roster. I don't want to just say that Allen goes back down just because came up when Zach went down. Besides, after yesterday - and I know it was against the hapless Reds, but Greg showed me he BELONGS at the ML level. Nothing left to prove in AAA. If you send Allen back down and bring up Zach - your roster is unbalanced just four outfielders and THIRTEEN pitchers. My choice would be either AJ Cole or Nick Goody goes back to C-Bus.

But back to the matter at hand. I like how our rotation has been set up. Bauer will not be at the All Star game - so he gets his normal rest. He goes Friday. Same for Clevinger. He goes Saturday. And Bieber will be on his regular rest - even if he goes on Tuesday in the ASG. He goes Sunday.

I hope the boys continue to bust out the lumber like they have shown recently. I want to firmly plant the seeds of doubt in the Twins mind, not only by beating them - but beating them soundly. This weekend would be a GLORIOUS time for Bobby Bradley to rip the band aid off and get his first ML dinger. Once that happens - look out.

Looking forward to just a 2-1/2 game lead on Sunday night!

Tribe posted Clev is starting Friday, and Bauer Saturday, and Bieber Sunday

Edited by brooks1957

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I am interested to see what moves this team makes before the deadline. I don’t really think we have the minor-league assets to acquire a big-name. But I would imagine that there might be some bullpen arms out there that teams will try to sell off, that could help us.

Very interesting point, ND. I agree as far as the minor league system is concerned. We need to be adding assets to it, not trading them away. Which means back in April and May - I was firmly convinced we would be sellers at the deadline.

But to see how these guys have picked themselves up off the mat and sliced the division lead in half in less than 2 months time is impressive as hell. I now am in the camp that I don't want to upset the apple cart and I want to roll with these guys. What a powerful statement that would be from management to this young team - "We believe in you. We will ride this out with you".

I still say that being the hunted instead of the hunters will wear on the Twins in the second half. And I saw somewhere yesterday - Tito's winning percentage in the second half of seasons while he has been in Cleveland is .600.

Buckle up - this will be a fun 74 games to go. Almost 20% of those remaining games are head to head with the Twins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NateDawg said:

We have the assets but it would just tap out the farm system. Some teams would like McKenzie, Nolan, Haase

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

We have the assets but it would just tap out the farm system. Some teams would like McKenzie, Nolan, Haase

Yeah, I more meant assets that we can really afford to give up.  We have a few really good talents, but I'm not sure it's worth selling those guys off for one big name guy.  If anything, I think we're likely to make a couple strategic moves with minor leaguers we're fine parting with, for maybe a bullpen arm or two, a utility guy, etc.  There are always teams selling arms at the deadline, and I think we could use another guy or two on the back end.  I don't expect any major shakeups though. 

6 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

What type of Blackmail does Cleveland have on Mark Shapiro to make sure that Vlad Jr. never leaves Cleveland?

Hey, we could have signed him as a 16 y.o. free agent.  Shapiro was still here the year they signed him.

Is there a clause for "retroactive compensation"?  

That sure sounds like a thing.

35 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

What type of Blackmail does Cleveland have on Mark Shapiro to make sure that Vlad Jr. never leaves Cleveland?

Well, if we started with Kluber and sweetened the pot from there it might be doable.

Then ownership could create a class of stock (or units if the Indians are an LLC) devoted to giving players equity in the club (although I do not think MLB would allow this) and make Lindor and Vlad Jr. the first player equity owners to keep them forever.

Yes, I have been drinking.