2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

OK, maybe it's only 4.35 times per game, but he's still a whiffer, plain and simple.  That, and he over-pursues.  He's not the same dude now that he's off the roids - certainly not worth his current contract value!

There's literally no one on the roster that can do all the things he does well at the same time. Over paid? Sure. Still worth it to us? I sure think so.

12 minutes ago, bjwpack said:

Looks pretty good when compared to Burtons 1.0 catches for 10 yards per game over his 4 year career. Also a better blocker. And probably a quarter of the price.

$$$ signs not withstanding - I think Burtons production can get jacked up. How high? Cant say. He is a fifth year guy now and has had something of a quiet career - so, All Pro might not be right around the corner for him. 

This year: TE Celek was the top guy on Philly in Receptions, Yards and they had a decent stable of WRs: Jeffries, Agholor & Smith. 

I'm a firm proponent that "talent forces itself onto the field". So - is Burton a hidden gem waiting to break out (?) or JAG? Time will tell. 

Salary numbers are getting ridiculous IMO.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

There's literally no one on the roster that can do all the things he does well at the same time. Over paid? Sure. Still worth it to us? I sure think so.

Finally, a pragmatic answer my question about what to do with him.  Thank you sir.  I will agree that if GB can restructure his contract, then retain him.  Not a lot of other options out there - I never said there were!  But to overpay the guy because there aren't any other options seems foolish also. 

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Meh, you're a head case.  Matthews whiffs at least 5 times per game.  God I love your rants.  And you've yet to explain why you think he is deserving of being retained.  In fact, you were so busy going absolutely berserk on your man-crush for Whiff, that you never even addressed the questions. I'll repeat them for you:  If Clay is not traded, should he be "traded" or "restructured"?  Stay on point and don't get butt-hurt because someone doesn't like your boy anymore.  Boo hoo.

Do I get to insult you now?  Is this a *** for tat situation?  Because there are a lot of things I'd like to call you based on this conversation. 

Prove it.  It's a BS statement to make.  Five times per game whiffing on tackles and you're not starting in NFL games regardless of what you've done in your career.  It's a stupid lie. 

I'll answer your questions really simply so you can understand them:

1. It's better to restructure literally every single player in the NFL if you can.  We would restructure every player on our roster if we could.  Good idea?  Sure.

2. Should he be traded?  If we can get good value for him AND replace his production.  Currently there are ZERO better options than him available in free agency.  Like I said and you failed to comprehend, Clay Matthews is the best player we can possibly have rushing the passer for us that is currently available to us.  No, we should not cut him. 

Don't get butt hurt when somebody points out how stupid it is to get rid of our fourth best player on defense when we have literally no better option available to us. 

2 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

I've seen $86 mil guaranteed over three years offered to Cousins by Minnesota.  Sets the table for Rodgers.  Makes me wonder how that will impact keeping talent in MN when contracts come due. 

About the same impact it will have on GB when they re-sign Rodgers. 

18 minutes ago, bjwpack said:

Looks pretty good when compared to Burtons 1.0 catches for 10 yards per game over his 4 year career. Also a better blocker. And probably a quarter of the price.

TE Trey Burton in 2 Starts w/out Ertz last season: VS Broncos and Rams, 10 Targets, 7 Receptions, 112 Yards, 3 TDs

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

About the same impact it will have on GB when they re-sign Rodgers. 

The thing is that they're not re-signing Rodgers, they're renegotiating and extending the existing contract in place.  Listening to the radio donkeys call in on Milwaukee sports radio you'd think Rodgers was a free agent.  Depending on how they structure the deal, it could lower the cap hit this year.  I hope it works out for everyone.

16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

OK, maybe it's only 4.35 times per game, but he's still a whiffer, plain and simple.  That, and he over-pursues.  He's not the same dude now that he's off the roids - certainly not worth his current contract value!

Hence why you extend him. Especially if you can get out after year 1 still with minimal dead cap. I’d really like to see how he does with a new DC. I think we’ll see flashes of the old CMIII again. Pettine seems like he’ll use his players to their strengths and not try to force “his defense” on the players as much as Dom was reported to.

Finally, a pragmatic answer my question about what to do with him. 

salt-hill.jpg

But to overpay the guy because there aren't any other options seems foolish also. 

Gute - "Mike, gotta cut Matthews."

Mike - "Who the **** is going to rush the passer?"

Gute - "Don't matter, we don't want to pay Matthews 11 million and he won't restructure.  We'll draft a pass rusher in the first round."

Mike - "Okay, but an NFL roster needs at least three good options to rush the passer if all of them stay healthy.  The game is literally about stopping the pass right now."

Gute - "We got Fackrell."

Mike - "Fackrell sucks."

Gute - "We got Biegel."

Mike - "Biegel hasn't done a damn thing."

Gute - "Maybe we'll sign a worse pass rusher at 6-8 million dollars."

Mike - "Your plan is to save 3-5 million dollars to get worse on defense?"

Gute - Yep! 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Do I get to insult you now?  Is this a *** for tat situation?  Because there are a lot of things I'd like to call you based on this conversation. 

Prove it.  It's a BS statement to make.  Five times per game whiffing on tackles and you're not starting in NFL games regardless of what you've done in your career.  It's a stupid lie. 

I'll answer your questions really simply so you can understand them:

1. It's better to restructure literally every single player in the NFL if you can.  We would restructure every player on our roster if we could.  Good idea?  Sure.

2. Should he be traded?  If we can get good value for him AND replace his production.  Currently there are ZERO better options than him available in free agency.  Like I said and you failed to comprehend, Clay Matthews is the best player we can possibly have rushing the passer for us that is currently available to us.  No, we should not cut him. 

Don't get butt hurt when somebody points out how stupid it is to get rid of our fourth best player on defense when we have literally no better option available to us. 

First, thanks for FINALLY answering my initial questions.  See, that was easy, however, you were beat to the punch by someone less dramatic than you.  You lost your marbles so badly there for a while that you completely forget what the topic was even about.  You're actually somewhat intelligent when you're not coming unhinged.  That being said, we all enjoy having fun at your expense, so don't go changing.   

First, thanks for FINALLY answering my initial questions. 

Not even close?  Yes the hell he is because there's literally NOBODY we could get that's as good as him OR (not and) but OR as cheap as himPass rushers do NOT grow on trees, and if he was to be released, he would easily be THE most sought after pass rusher in free agency. 

Literally in response to the first time you asked the question. 

You're actually somewhat intelligent when you're not coming unhinged.

Better to be somewhat intelligent sometimes than never.  ;)

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

salt-hill.jpg

Gute - "Mike, gotta cut Matthews."

Mike - "Who the **** is going to rush the passer?"

Gute - "Don't matter, we don't want to pay Matthews 11 million and he won't restructure.  We'll draft a pass rusher in the first round."

Mike - "Okay, but an NFL roster needs at least three good options to rush the passer if all of them stay healthy.  The game is literally about stopping the pass right now."

Gute - "We got Fackrell."

Mike - "Fackrell sucks."

Gute - "We got Biegel."

Mike - "Biegel hasn't done a damn thing."

Gute - "Maybe we'll sign a worse pass rusher at 6-8 million dollars."

Mike - "Your plan is to save 3-5 million dollars to get worse on defense?"

Gute - Yep! 

Gute - "Yo Mike, can you get Whiff back on the roids - we can't cut him, he won't take a pay-cut, he's the best we got, and he's half the man he used to be!"

Mike - "um, well, um, I guess Gute.  Do they still drug test in this league?"  "Can't he just take better angles and quit whiffing?  It'd be a lot easier than taking the roids route!"

Gute - "Yup, there's that too."

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Literally in response to the first time you asked the question. 

Better to be somewhat intelligent sometimes than never.  ;)

"Somewhat intelligent sometimes"?  What's that equate to, about 12% intelligence?  45 IQ?  Meh, it doesn't matter, Clay still whiffs!  :D 

Archived