2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

7 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’d vehemently disagree with those people based on his inability to do anything right now at a high level besides react to the ball and catch it.

You're opposed to interceptions?;) Actually he had 27 pass breakups last year and QB's completed 41% of passes against him. 

His one drawback is that he's only started 1 year. But his instincts seem to be good. He's a converted WR, so it's not too surprising he's good at catching the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

As I said in another thread if they use him right back peddling isn’t an issue (you only back peddle in zone not in man). And he can play man... he just doesn’t have the speed you ideally like for man.

But I get it he is a rookie and that’s not ideal.

What the hell are you talking about, you only back pedal in zone?

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

As I said in another thread if they use him right back peddling isn’t an issue (you only back peddle in zone not in man). And he can play man... he just doesn’t have the speed you ideally like for man.

But I get it he is a rookie and that’s not ideal.

I’d like to see the tape of him playing man well because ive watched a lot of him and simply haven’t seen that. Against better #2 wideouts in this league I see a guy who’s going to get burnt early and often if hes asked to play on an island.

my corner rankings for this team right now go

1.Ward

2.Alexander

3.Oliver

4.Davis

5.Mcfadden

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At that point, we can panic like the sky is falling.  But there's still a few quality corners left.

There is really no point in panicking until we see them play Week 1. King may be great, a rookie may be all-pro, Pipkins-Hawkins-Herb may make that Tramon or Shields jump.

I'm not saying I'm counting on it - or Gute should either, but none of us know.

However this is a message board so that kind of thinking defeats the whole purpose of this community. So keep worrying guys!

6 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’d like to see the tape of him playing man well because ive watched a lot of him and simply haven’t seen that. Against better #2 wideouts in this league I see a guy who’s going to get burnt early and often if hes asked to play on an island.

my corner rankings for this team right go

1.Ward

2.Alexander

3.Oliver

4.Davis

5.Mcfadden

McFadden has Gunter type speed and not as savvy IMO. I liked him till he ran his 40

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How about a single time he was burned in coverage? Other than the New Orleans game where he's playing through a shoulder falling apart at the seams because House got hurt.

He was pretty inconsistent all year in coverage.  I'd have to go back and watch the tapes but I  know for sure he was burned a couple times against Pitt.  He definitely gave up the tieing TD on a pass that he didn't at all contest.  You already mention New Orleans where he was an absolute abomination.  

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

McFadden has Gunter type speed and not as savvy IMO. I liked him till he ran his 40

I think that time was a fluke and expect more at his pro day. 40 aside his upside is massive. Probably the second highest on that entire list.

1 minute ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

There is really no point in panicking until we see them play Week 1. King may be great, a rookie may be all-pro, Pipkins-Hawkins-Herb may make that Tramon or Shields jump.

I'm not saying I'm counting on it - or Gute should either, but none of us know.

However this is a message board so that kind of thinking defeats the whole purpose of this community. So keep worrying guys!

It's hard not to worry when you've been watching a college secondary over the last several years. There have been plenty of "next year our secondary will be much better" posts during those years. You cannot blame people for worrying or being skeptical. It happens when you get traumatized year after year by a poor secondary. 

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What the hell are you talking about, you only back pedal in zone?

Meaning if you are in press man you tend to not back pedal. You jam and then just turn to run with the wide out. If you are in zone and off the WR you back pedal and as the wr runs passes that’s when you back pedal and turn to run.

As a said in another thread... Jackson press and bails. He shows man, bails out and already running to his spot (Seattle did this during their Super Bowl runs).

back pedaling tends to be more of a zone technique. Man (or press man) you jam and open your hips and follow the wr or turn to run with them. You can do like a false step back pedal... Al Harris did that all the time.

*edit: it’s why speed matters so much with man corners. Because from the line you are just in a foot race with the wide out. Also why you can’t waste time back pedaling at the line.

Just now, Green19 said:

Meaning if you are in press man you tend to not back pedal. You jam and then just turn to run with the wife out. If you are in zone and off the WR you back pedal and as the wr runs passes that’s when you back pedal and turn to run.

As a said in another thread... Jackson press and bails. He shows man, bails out and already running to his spot (Seattle did this during their Super Bowl runs).

back pedaling tends to be more of a zone technique. Man (or press man) you jam and open your hips and follow the wr or turn to run with them. You can do like a false step back pedal... Al Harris did that all the time.

Most man coverage in the NFL is not bump and run. Off man is more common. 

Archived