2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

On 2/24/2018 at 10:07 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Got it.  You're awful.  Thanks.  Continue to neglect two instances of this, but I get that you find quitting in football worse than endangering human lives. 

From a football POV yes, I agree, quitting on a team is much more concerning. 

Hell like 1/5 drivers get a DUI in their life,  football players are not wiser than the norm.  Its a lack of judgement mistake, acting like a DUI puts you in company like Hernandez, Carruth or Ray Lewis is ridiculous.

Just now, fattlipp said:

Burton would be a good TE option to pursue, looks like Eagles will let him go...

Can't sign him because he just won the Super Bowl and Long/Blount just won back-to-back Super Bowls with different teams, so we have to wait at least 3 years before we sign anybody from a Super Bowl winning team. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Can't sign him because he just won the Super Bowl and Long/Blount just won back-to-back Super Bowls with different teams, so we have to wait at least 3 years before we sign anybody from a Super Bowl winning team. 

Sorry, I am confused.  I am reading this as sarcasm?  Correct?

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Not sarcasm.  More like extremely self-aware superstition. 

I dunno. Super Bowl teams are more than the sum of their parts. Somehow they manage to capture lightening in a bottle. Individual players from a Super Bowl team may or may not help another team do the same. With free agents, it's more about fit than where the free agent comes from. Cheers.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I dunno. Super Bowl teams are more than the sum of their parts. Somehow they manage to capture lightening in a bottle. Individual players from a Super Bowl team may or may not help another team do the same. With free agents, it's more about fit than where the free agent comes from. Cheers.

I'm going to be superstitious until the Packers win another Super Bowl and nothing you say can stop me. 

Not many good pass rushers in FA, that's pretty typical

But there might be some guys under contract who could be moved. Either because of scheme/coaching change or because of cap issues. Somebody mentioned Jerry Hughes awhile back. He's interesting. I was also looking a little further south

The Jags are currently number 1 in the league in positional spending on the DL (per OTC). They spent huge in FA, grabbing Calais Campbell and Malik Jackson as well as adding Marcell Dareus. Those guys cost big cash. In 2018, the Jags will spend 58M in cap just on their DL and 57M in cap on their entire freaking offense.

One of their DE's, Donte Fowler is a FA after 2018. But it doesn't seem likely that they can afford him...and the Jags already have his (cheap) replacement at DE, Yannick Ngakoue . Maybe they'd be open to an overture from the Packers, that way they get a draft pick for a guy they're gonna lose next year anyways.  I took a quick peek and the Jags forum has contemplated this eventuality - losing Fowler. He's only 24 years old too. 6'3 and 261

https://overthecap.com/player/dante-fowler-jr/3851/

He's had some off the field incidents, misdemeanors for being a dumbass.

Don't know if he's any good, but I read he's really starting to "get it"

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Not many good pass rushers in FA, that's pretty typical

But there might be some guys under contract who could be moved. Either because of scheme/coaching change or because of cap issues. Somebody mentioned Jerry Hughes awhile back. He's interesting. I was also looking a little further south

The Jags are currently number 1 in the league in positional spending on the DL (per OTC). They spent huge in FA, grabbing Calais Campbell and Malik Jackson as well as adding Marcell Dareus. Those guys cost big cash. In 2018, the Jags will spend 58M in cap just on their DL and 57M in cap on their entire freaking offense.

One of their DE's, Donte Fowler is a FA after 2018. But it doesn't seem likely that they can afford him...and the Jags already have his (cheap) replacement at DE, Yannick Ngakoue . Maybe they'd be open to an overture from the Packers, that way they get a draft pick for a guy they're gonna lose next year anyways.  I took a quick peek and the Jags forum has contemplated this eventuality - losing Fowler. He's only 24 years old too. 6'3 and 261

https://overthecap.com/player/dante-fowler-jr/3851/

He's had some off the field incidents, misdemeanors for being a dumbass.

Don't know if he's any good, but I read he's really starting to "get it"

I would highly doubt that JAX would move Fowler.   They have a lot of $$ tied up in their DL, but after 2018, a good amount of those players can be cut and save a lot of cap space.

This is JAX 2019.  Campbell, and Jackson would each save $11M.  Dareus could be cut with no dead cap.  

Player pos base prorated roster option workout     dead cap cap number  
Calais Campbell DE $12,000,000 $1,500,000 - $1,000,000 - - - ($3,000,000) $14,500,000 8.90
Dawuane Smoot DE $812,500 $241,040 - - - - - ($482,080) $1,053,540 0.65
Yannick Ngakoue DE $834,269 $214,044 - - - - - ($214,044) $1,048,313 0.64
Hunter Dimick DE $570,000 - - - - - - - $570,000 0.35
Dante Fowler Jr. DE - - - - - - - - - 0.00
Malik Jackson DT $13,000,000 $2,000,000 - - - - - ($4,000,000) $15,000,000 9.21
Marcell Dareus DT $9,335,000 - $2,000,000 - $250,000 - - - $11,585,000 7.11
Abry Jones DT $3,400,000 - - - $600,000 - - - $4,000,000 2.46
Eli Ankou DT $645,000 - - - - - - - $645,000 0.40

8 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Hell like 1/5 drivers get a DUI in their life,  football players are not wiser than the norm.  Its a lack of judgement mistake, acting like a DUI puts you in company like Hernandez, Carruth or Ray Lewis is ridiculous.

i thought no way was this right, but damned if it isn't in the ballpark.

Geez...

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:
8 hours ago, fattlipp said:

i thought no way was this right, but damned if it isn't in the ballpark.

Geez...

Is that 20% will get a DUI or if you add up the total of DUI and divide by the adult population it calculates to 20%?   With some individuals having 5+ DUI, the number could be skewed.  

Archived