2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Matthews was made for GB as far as what they look for in a WR. Thank the Eagles for taking him because I highly doubt we would have Davante if he was on the board.

You need to talk to CWood21. He said he would pass on Matthews. I highly respect both of you for your football acumen. What to do when experts disagree? :o

5 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

I'm all for bringing in talent at WR but we absolutely must find a boundary target in the draft. DJ Chark, EQ St. Brown, DaeSean Hamilton, Michael Gallup early or someone like Byron Pringle, Cedrick Wilson, Auden Tate, Jaleel Scott later.

Eh Matthews could be special here IMO. He and Adams are both young guys.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Eh Matthews could be special here IMO. He and Adams are both young guys.

My thing is, he plays the same position as Randall Cobb. I'm fine with bringing him in, obviously, but we need another boundary target with Jordy gone. Can't have Graham, Matthews and Cobb occupying the middle with only Davante outside.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Matthews was made for GB as far as what they look for in a WR. Thank the Eagles for taking him because I highly doubt we would have Davante if he was on the board.

But.....but.....he's not fast enough to take the top off........(DUCKS real quick to escape a smack in the head from CW)  :)

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

He under 28 @HorizontoZenith ?

I'd be happy if we signed him, but let's not act like he'd be a significant free agent acquisition.  He would have been if he was a free agent after his second season, but right now the best you can call him is a bargain.  A significant bargain. 

How are you doing on that list of significant free agents who signed with us since free agency started compared to other teams?  Because even if we sign Matthews and Gaines, we're still behind every other franchise with the possible exception of the Bills, but sure... Keep trying to get that one up. 

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

My thing is, he plays the same position as Randall Cobb. I'm fine with bringing him in, obviously, but we need another boundary target with Jordy gone. Can't have Graham, Matthews and Cobb occupying the middle with only Davante outside.

He doesn't have to be a slot IMO, he can play the boundary. I mean he's 6'1 210, no different than Adams. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

He doesn't have to be a slot IMO, he can play the boundary. I mean he's 6'1 210, no different than Adams. 

Ran a 40 yard dash in 4.46 compared to Davante's 4.56, too.  Don't know why people aren't excited about the possibility of signing him.  Dude had a great start to his career and didn't exactly do too poorly in his third year, either. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

But.....but.....he's not fast enough to take the top off........(DUCKS real quick to escape a smack in the head from CW)  :)

Speed doesnt mean a ton to me with Aaron. His play action is elite and the threat of the back shoulder makes all receivers who play for him faster than they are. DBs always have it in their head that the WR could be shutting it down to hit that back shoulder.

I haven't seen anything from Matthews that makes you think he's a good outside WR.

Still, I'm craving an outside WR to come into GB.  Good litmus test to see if GB is making these WRs much better than they actually are.

EDIT: outside meaning not drafted by GB.

From JSO and Silverstein

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2018/03/22/packers-bringing-free-agent-wr-jordan-matthews-visit/451258002/

" Jordan Matthews underwent knee and ankle surgeries in December due to lingering injuries dating to the 2016 season and the Packers will undoubtedly be looking to see how he is progressing.

The Packers witnessed Matthews’ size and speed firsthand during an exhibition game in 2015 when he caught three passes for 51 yards. At the NFL combine in 2014, Matthews ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, had a vertical jump of 35½ inches and benched 225 pounds 21 times. The Vanderbilt alum is a relative of Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice."

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I brought him up last week and everyone screams he's only a slot, I stated he can play outside and got ripped up.  

Archived