2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Good point by rotoworld The Packers are still looking to add a body at receiver after releasing Jordy Nelson. Recovering from knee and ankle operations, 25-year-old Matthews has made just one other visit to date. It's possible he's still not far along enough in his recovery to merit contract offers.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From JSO and Silverstein

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2018/03/22/packers-bringing-free-agent-wr-jordan-matthews-visit/451258002/

" Jordan Matthews underwent knee and ankle surgeries in December due to lingering injuries dating to the 2016 season and the Packers will undoubtedly be looking to see how he is progressing.

The Packers witnessed Matthews’ size and speed firsthand during an exhibition game in 2015 when he caught three passes for 51 yards. At the NFL combine in 2014, Matthews ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, had a vertical jump of 35½ inches and benched 225 pounds 21 times. The Vanderbilt alum is a relative of Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice."

Interesting.

Question - do these guys travel around with a packet of their latest Xrays and/or medical reports (?) or a doctor contact the team can get in touch with to secure the records? Is there a "procedure" to how teams considering FA's with medical injuries get that info?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting.

Question - do these guys travel around with a packet of their latest Xrays and/or medical reports (?) or a doctor contact the team can get in touch with to secure the records? Is there a "procedure" to how teams considering FA's with medical injuries get that info?

Most imaging is digitized.   Easy to get on a computer disc.

You can do the same through your medical facility if you wanted to have the GB staff look at your medicals.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Most imaging is digitized.   Easy to get on a computer disc.

You can do the same through your medical facility if you wanted to have the GB staff look at your medicals.

Thats true. The days of the Xray has dwindled. So would a player be traveling with a CD or two - or just hand over a card with "get in touch with these guys......."

Probably more the latter.

If the price is right no brainer to bring him on and then still go WR by rd 3, preferably a speed guy. We need to realize that Allison is not a viable 3. He should be fighting for a roster spot in the 4-5 range at best. 

9 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Yes! Brought Matthews up a couple days ago and now we're bringing him in for a visit. Like I said he's a better more polished version of Allison. I also brought up Julius Thomas, hope we kick the tires on him.

I could be on board with Matthews, but am lukewarm on him at the moment. The contract would have to be right, and the flags would need to check out in an interview. I can see the rich man’s Allison comp. 

Thomas is washed up though. He lost interest when he got paid.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If nothing else, I like this news because it means GB is looking at WRs. Tells me they arent satisfied with where they are currently at with the position and mean to address it. 

I mean, wasn't that obvious with them having interest in both Watkins and A-Rob? Either way, looks like Gute is ready to get back into the swing on things in FA during this second wave. First Tramon and now Matthews visiting

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And how do you know that Graham and Wilkerson were offered more by those other teams?  Saints have 2 million dollars in cap space right now. 

How are you even trying to use Wilkerson's post-Green Bay visits as a point for YOUR argument?  Wilkerson visited here and then visited other places.  Don't you kinda maybe sorta possibly think that means he wasn't sold on Green Bay after his visit?  Don't you think that kinda sorta maybe possibly means he was trying to get a better or equal deal from someone else? 

PROVE IT

You can't just say it and make it true.  Prove there's no difference between free agency signings in small market areas and other teams.  Buffalo/Green Bay.  Hyde is one of Buffalo's biggest free agent signings and he went from small market to small market. 

Sounds like he liked it in GB bc it was a small market  so apparently i proved it or Wilkerson is a ? :D

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/03/22/packers-muhammad-wilkerson-ready-return-my-dominant-play/449578002/

It’s different,” Wilkerson said Thursday, “but at the same time they say change is good, and I’m looking forward to a great change in Green Bay. … Being in a small city, it means more focus. It’s all about football.”

“Wilkerson said reuniting with Pettine was “key” in his decision. Also important was the chance to play for a contender, something he hasn’t experienced since early in his career.”

When I went on my visit,” Wilkerson said, “walking around the facility, it just brought a different energy in me.”

Archived