2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Meh.  It's not particularly top heavy by any means, but there's solid depth in the middle rounds. The only WR that I might have a Day 1 grade on is Calvin Ridley.

I'd argue that Sutton is the only Receiver with a 1st round grade(late first at that). The more I've looked at this draft class of receivers, the less impressed I've been.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

If we're signing Matthews because of his slot prowess, we are morons. I think he was forced there more than maybe he should have been. I'm guessing they think he can play outside here or why bother with Cobb in house

Who says Cobb will still be here if Matthews is signed?   Maybe they would feel Matthews is an upgrade over Cobb.

All depends on the salary and the trade off for things.

1 minute ago, bjwpack said:

Totally Agree, just because he has mostly played in the slot does not mean he cant play outside. Jordy also was better in the slot.

Other thing to note is that while we dont need a slot this year, we will next year when Cobb's contract is up

I was gonna go there before someone else, and that could be part of it. But I would 'guess' this isn't too prepare for Cobb leaving myself.. Just my feel.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Who says Cobb will still be here if Matthews is signed?   Maybe they would feel Matthews is an upgrade over Cobb.

All depends on the salary and the trade off for things.

Do you actually think this is a legitimate possibility or do you just want to make a counter point to make one? Serious question.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Do you actually think this is a legitimate possibility or do you just want to make a counter point to make one? Serious question.

At this point in the offseason, I think a lot of things are on the table.  Cobb being released or traded would not be shocking to me.

I don't think we are going to cut Cobb. I would like the addition of Mathews. Some of these moves just really help us have more autonomy in the draft. A lot of spots to fill, but some of this depth can really open up more of the BPA approach.

3 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I don't think we are going to cut Cobb. I would like the addition of Mathews. Some of these moves just really help us have more autonomy in the draft. A lot of spots to fill, but some of this depth can really open up more of the BPA approach.

This is true.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Eric Reid said today at his brothers pro day that he won't protest during the anthem next year. Really curious if he follows Mathieu and Burnett in the bargain bin. Probably the best value in FA if that's the case.

Protest or not, I would sign him if his contract demands fit our cap realities.

I'm pretty giddy at the prospect of bringing in Matthews and pairing him with Adams, Cobb, and Graham. Then factor what Montgomery could do out of the backfield as a WR. This would be a very difficult offense to stop. Hopefully we can get Matthews for a bargain given his down year and Buffalo and the injury. I'm still a little concerned at corner but I've always been more of a believer in having a stout pass rush over a great secondary. You can't cover your way to a Super Bowl victory. You have to have a disruptive defensive front. That's the only way you are going to slow down the really good QBs in the playoffs.

Archived