2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Breaux is very high on my favorite FA targets this year. Would be thrilled to land him.

If I remember correctly dude had amazing games against Julio Jones in 2015. Like shut him down.

The first wave of free agency ended last week and the second wave is now just barely a ripple. New general manager Brian Gutekunst vowed to be aggressive in acquiring veteran players, and he’s lived up to his word. As of today, the Packers have traded for quarterback Deshone Kizer and signed tight end Jimmy Graham, defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson and cornerback Tramon Williams.

Even with Gutekunst’s recent flurry of activity, there are still more holes on the roster than there were at this time a year ago. Last March, the major areas of concern were right guard, edge rusher, inside linebacker, and corner. The major areas of concern this year are backup quarterback, wide receiver, right tackle, right guard (again), edge rusher (again), and corner (again). How Gutekunst will go about fixing all of these problems in the next few months remains to be seen.

Here’s a look at where things stand at the many positions where Green Bay has big questions and/or big holes:

BACKUP QUARTERBACK – This was also a major problem a year ago, only the Packers didn’t know it. Brett Hundley was unprepared to step in when Aaron Rodgers got hurt in week 6. Are we now supposed to believe that DaShone Kizer will be a better option? The same Kizer who didn’t win enough at Notre Dame or at all in Cleveland? And are we now supposed to believe that Mike McCarthy will be able to develop him in five months – something he was unable to do in three years with Hundley? It seemed a no-brainer that Gutekunst would add a veteran quarterback to the mix, and maybe he still will. But if he doesn’t, it might be a good idea to start praying for Rodgers’ 34-year-old body to make it through the season unscathed.

WIDE RECEIVER – While the decision to release Jordy Nelson was correct, that leaves the offense without a legitimate starter opposite Pro Bowler Davante Adams. Gutekunst showed some mild interest in Sammy Watkins and Allen Robinson but quickly backed off when things got too pricey. That leaves Geronimo “Mr. 4.67” Allison as the frontrunner for the job. So much for adding speed to the position. Expect the Packers to use a day 2 draft pick on a wide receiver, but don’t expect that player to make an immediate impact. You’d have to go all the way back to Sterling Sharpe in 1988 to find a rookie who was more than just a complementary piece in his first season – and that includes some really talented players (Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Nelson, and Adams).
RIGHT GUARD – Journeyman Justin McCray would likely be the starter if the season started today, but he’s more a jack of all trades than a master of one. The offensive line survived just fine in 2017 with 34-year-old Jahri Evans at the position, and there will probably be a similar stopgap veteran available either before or after the draft. In truth, having a mediocre starter at this position isn’t that big of a deal – unless there’s an equally mediocre starter next to him at right tackle. And that brings us to the next potential problem.

RIGHT TACKLE – Bryan Bulaga has been solid as a rock ever since taking over the position from Mark Tauscher in the middle of the 2010 season, but he’s coming off yet another serious injury (torn ACL) and there’s no guarantee he’ll be ready for the opening game. And even if he is, there’s no guarantee he’ll be the same player. Right now, the backups at the position are Jason Spriggs and Kyle Murphy. That would be concerning enough even if both unproven youngsters weren’t coming off their own surgeries. The thought of starting McCray and either Spriggs or Murphy in week 1 should only make fans say their prayers about the health of Rodgers even louder. On a positive note, the Packers have been able to find solid rookie starters in the middle rounds of recent drafts. They could sure use another David Bakhtiari or Corey Linsley.

EDGE RUSHER – Help in this area was always going to have to come in the draft. Teams seldom let good pass rushers hit the open market, and when they do, they cost a fortune. You’d think it’s a certainty that Gutekunst will spend either a first or a second round pick on an outside linebacker, but that’s what we all thought the past two years. Instead, we got Kyler Fackrell and Vince Biegel on day 3. But with so many questions in the secondary, getting pressure on the quarterback is no longer a luxury; it’s a necessity. And let’s hope the defensive coaches aren’t counting on Wilkerson to be a difference maker. While he’s better over a tackle than over a guard, nobody is going to confuse the 28-year-old former Jet with Julius Peppers.

CORNERBACK – Even with the addition of Williams, this still might be the worst collection of talent I’ve seen at the position since 1991 (I’m thinking of you, Vinnie Clark, Joe Fuller, Jerry Holmes, and Roland Mitchell). Only Williams and Kevin King are even guaranteed to be in the league after Labor Day, and the former just turned 35 and the latter is coming off shoulder surgery. It’s likely the Packers will use yet another high pick or picks on a corner in next month’s draft, but Gutekunst would be wise to sign another veteran. And If he doesn’t make a run at Bashaud Breeland, all that’ll be left are the Davon Houses of the world.

Let’s be realistic, Hall of Fame GMs Ron Wolf, Bill Polian, and Bobby Beathard could be running next month’s draft and the Packers still wouldn’t be able to fill all of the holes on the current roster. And I didn’t even mention safety, where the team will rely on unproven Josh Jones to replace longtime starter Morgan Burnett. Simply put, Gutekunst needs to keep being aggressive when it comes to acquiring veteran players if he wants to go into training camp with a roster that looks more like American cheese and less like Swiss.

I mostly agree with the Packers Notes guy ... this roster is not very impressive at all.  I think we were in the process of slipping behind some teams last season, and now that has continued into this season.  We'll see how things work out, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us miss the playoffs again.  I know Rodgers make a lot of difference out there, but it seems like we will be on that playoff bubble at best.  I'm really disappointed that the Packers brass has allowed this roster to get in such poor shape the past few years.  I guess that's what happens when you get rid of good players and replace them with lesser talent.  We really need a dynamic draft to turn this thing back around.

I think we've always done a decent job at finding starters for our team, but the depth of our team has always been a problem. The super bowl year is always a good example because we had 15 guys on IR. We need to have good depth on the OL, CB, EDGE, and QB to really feel safe every year.

"Breaux, 28, broke out for the Saints during his first year in the NFL in 2015, tallying 19 pass deflections and three interceptions for New Orleans over 16 starts. His last two seasons were marred by severe injury, including a pair of broken fibulas. He played only six total games in 2016 and 2017 combined, with a misdiagnosis of his second fibula injury by Saints doctors contributing to Breaux missing the entire 2017 season. When healthy, Breaux has starter-level coverage talent and ball skills"

http://www.thezonereport.com//packers-plan-visit-with-free-agent-cb-delvin-breaux/

11 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think we've always done a decent job at finding starters for our team, but the depth of our team has always been a problem. The super bowl year is always a good example because we had 15 guys on IR. We need to have good depth on the OL, CB, EDGE, and QB to really feel safe every year.

I agree the SB year had exceptional depth, but I don't necessarily think a team has bad depth just because they don't have exceptional depth. do other teams really have better depth than GB typically does? and if so, have they been drafting at the end of the round multiple years like GB and paying their core players non-rookie contracts?

95% of fans aren't going to feel "safe" with their roster any year, much less every year. 

37 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I agree the SB year had exceptional depth, but I don't necessarily think a team has bad depth just because they don't have exceptional depth. do other teams really have better depth than GB typically does? and if so, have they been drafting at the end of the round multiple years like GB and paying their core players non-rookie contracts?

95% of fans aren't going to feel "safe" with their roster any year, much less every year. 

Realistically you want to see your top 33.

Rodgers

Jones/Montgomery

Adams/Cobb/Allison/Davis

Graham

Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Spriggs

Taylor/McCray/Murphy

Linsley

+++

Clark/Daniels/Wilkerson/Adams

Matthews/Perry/Fackrell/Biegel

Martinez/Ryan/??

King/Tramon/Hawkins/Rollins

HHCD/Brice/Jones

We suck at CB.

We probably need to upgrade Edge and WR

We could use  warm body at ILB and Guard

25 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Ya it doesn't need to be exceptional depth, that's just a bonus. Just serviceable enough so we don't get exposed. I just think the last couple years when guys got hurt at those positions especially CB it's really hurt the team and our depth got exposed.

8 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya it doesn't need to be exceptional depth, that's just a bonus. Just serviceable enough so we don't get exposed. I just think the last couple years when guys got hurt at those positions especially CB it's really hurt the team and our depth got exposed.

Our depth actually hasn't been terrible. It hasn't been great but it certainly hasn't been unforgivable. We've just stacked injuries at CB. In 2017: A foursome of House/King/Randall/Rollins isn't bad. Until House hurts his back, King hurts his shoulder. Randall is in the doghouse and hurts his groin, and Rollins tears his achilies. 

In 2016, losing Shields gutted the depth for the year and then Randall and Rollins went down and you ended up with the garbage we had in the playoffs with Ladarius Gunter lining up against Dez Bryant, Odell Bechkham Jr and Julio Jones in back to back to back weeks. 

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Realistically you want to see your top 33.

Rodgers

Jones/Montgomery

Adams/Cobb/Allison/Davis

Kendricks

Bakhtiari/Bulaga/Spriggs

Taylor/McCray/Murphy

Linsley

+++

Clark/Daniels/Wilkerson/Adams

Matthews/Perry/Fackrell/Biegel

Martinez/Ryan/??

King/Tramon/Hawkins/Rollins

HHCD/Brice/Jones

We suck at CB and TE.

We probably need to upgrade Edge and WR

We could use  warm body at ILB and Guard

I've got good news for you, we signed Jimmy Graham. ?

Per Tom Silverstein on Rodgers deal:

“There are a lot of rumblings going around that this deal is going to have voids and player options and percentages and all kinds of things to make sure he is able to keep up with the market,” a well-known agent with multiple quarterback clients said. “They’re going to have to come up with something far more creative (than the Cousins deal) because of that.”

It’s very likely that Dunn will suggest Rodgers’ salary be tied to a percentage of the salary cap, which no one has done yet. But agents think that is the way things are headed and why wouldn’t Dunn try to accomplish it with one of the best players in the NFL?

This contract is holding up a lot of stuff. They need to get it worked out.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our depth actually hasn't been terrible. It hasn't been great but it certainly hasn't been unforgivable. We've just stacked injuries at CB. In 2017: A foursome of House/King/Randall/Rollins isn't bad. Until House hurts his back, King hurts his shoulder. Randall is in the doghouse and hurts his groin, and Rollins tears his achilies. 

In 2016, losing Shields gutted the depth for the year and then Randall and Rollins went down and you ended up with the garbage we had in the playoffs with Ladarius Gunter lining up against Dez Bryant, Odell Bechkham Jr and Julio Jones in back to back to back weeks. 

True true,  guess for the amount of the injuries we've suffered it makes sense. 

Archived