2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I looked it up earlier, and if I recall correctly, Jordy Nelson ran 4.41.  I have seen both Jordy Nelson and Jordan Matthews run in college.  Jordy was a lot faster than Jordan Matthews.  I would be surprised if Matthews can keep up with him even now.  

Jordy ran a 4.51,,, Matthews was/is faster

28 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Yeah, I am confused as well.  I thought if you trade a player, their contract goes with them.  I never realized that the trading team still paid the bill.  Could you please explain?  Thanks!

A signing bonus is paid in cash when a player signs it. Give a guy 50M signing bonus, and you have to pay it all right away. Then you have base salary, bonuses etc. but let's concentrate on the signing bonus.

Big signing bonuses would be impossible to fit into cap in just one year, so there's a rule that the cap hit of a signing bonus is divvied in equal parts for the duration of the contract up to 5 years. One year's cap hit is called pro-rated signing bonus. Give a guy a 5-year deal with a 50M signing bonus, and the cap hit from signing bonus is 10M per year. Makes sense?

Now, if the player is cut or traded before all of the signing bonus has hit the cap, all the remaining amount hits it immediately (there is a way to delay this a bit by choosing when to cut a player, not so with trades). So, trade the 50M signing bonus guy after just one season, and you'll get slammed with a 40M cap hit. 

The REST of the contract would move on to the new team. They don't have to sign him again, they inherit the contract. Only the cap hit from a signing bonus (you've already paid in cash) hits you. 

Practically, this makes trading vets with big signing bonuses veeeeeeery unappetizing. You're giving the "good" portion of the contract of a player to a new team, and get hit by a cap hit from the signing bonus you've already paid. 

6 minutes ago, salmar80 said:

A signing bonus is paid in cash when a player signs it. Give a guy 50M signing bonus, and you have to pay it all right away.

Sort of.

Its often a point of negotiation between the player and the team. The team wants to mach their revenue to their outlay, so they may split the signing bonus pay-out over a 6-12 month period. The Chargers and Bosa fought about this when he held out, it was a matter of when he got all of his payments. Chargers wanted to wait until all of the season-ticket cash came in between March/April, while Bosa wanted it a bit earlier. In that regard, "right away" means within about a year

When you get into these monster bonuses,  it takes some financial planning. Teams don't want to carry $50 million in their checking account

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Sort of.

Its often a point of negotiation between the player and the team. The team wants to mach their revenue to their outlay, so they may split the signing bonus pay-out over a 6-12 month period. The Chargers and Bosa fought about this when he held out, it was a matter of when he got all of his payments. Chargers wanted to wait until all of the season-ticket cash came in between March/April, while Bosa wanted it a bit earlier. In that regard, "right away" means within about a year

When you get into these monster bonuses,  it takes some financial planning. Teams don't want to carry $50 million in their checking account

Shh ;)

I was trying to make it as easily understandable as possible. The cap rules of signing bonuses still remain as I explained. 

The whole cap accounting thing is rather complicated if you go into details. Overthecap.com and Spotrac.com are the prime resources with that, but can take some studying to decipher. No wonder the team values Russ Ball.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I see.

And yet your ability to assess my relative blindedness -  without literally knowing anything about me is OK in your world ? That's effing awesome

Thrilled to see we have another self-annointed omniscient on the board. This place never ceases to amaze

I never said anything personally about your character or anything else, if it was taken that way I apologize, it was never my intention. You insulted the player and said he would be a bad fit. That statement makes zero sense from a football and team perspective. That is all I was saying, best of luck with your argument. 

36 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Yeah, I am confused as well.  I thought if you trade a player, their contract goes with them.  I never realized that the trading team still paid the bill.  Could you please explain?  Thanks!

Only the parts of the contract that have not already been paid to the player go to the new team. Cap hit is not the same as cash flow. A portion of a player’s cap hit each year is just a reflection of the player’s yr1 signing bonus the original team gave him. Since the original team paid that money, they have to eat the cap hit from it sooner or later. 

Just now, th87 said:

We have an alpha dog to keep OBJ in line. And winning cures. If the price is right, why not?

Same for Dez Bryant to an extent. 

Because OBJ wants 100m+ and you don't give that to a WR.

If he'd play this year and a tag year, I'd give a 2 and a 4 like Peters got in heartbeat. I'm not trading for a hold out guy though, even for a 7th.

15 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Only the parts of the contract that have not already been paid to the player go to the new team. Cap hit is not the same as cash flow. A portion of a player’s cap hit each year is just a reflection of the player’s yr1 signing bonus the original team gave him. Since the original team paid that money, they have to eat the cap hit from it sooner or later. 

I didn't know that, Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because OBJ wants 100m+ and you don't give that to a WR.

If he'd play this year and a tag year, I'd give a 2 and a 4 like Peters got in heartbeat. I'm not trading for a hold out guy though, even for a 7th.

Hence "if the price is right."

But he's not going to sit the whole year or even a large portion. No one ever has, I don't think. He'll see he has the chance to be a GOAT with Rodgers, start having fun, and may soften his stance a bit. It was the Giants' complete buffoonery that exacerbated his divaness. 

4 minutes ago, th87 said:

Hence "if the price is right."

But he's not going to sit the whole year or even a large portion. No one ever has, I don't think. He'll see he has the chance to be a GOAT with Rodgers, start having fun, and may soften his stance a bit. It was the Giants' complete buffoonery that exacerbated his divaness. 

We'll see, though it has no chance to happen.

Archived