2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Rosa Parks "sat for something," and I'm old enough to remember that. MLK was acceptable to The Establishment until he spoke out against the Viet Nam war. Then he was terminated. Protest and whistle blowing takes many forms, by many different kinds of people, but it always takes courage. The path to equality and social justice has been a long and bloody one (literally), and we're not there yet. Having been the victim myself of blow back after reporting serial abuse, I would never diminish the efforts, ANY EFFORT, of ANYONE who tries to make this a better world, not for the millionaires, but for the least among us, especially for the least among us. Today we're celebrating Easter. I think the guy whose life and death we're celebrating would agree with that. JC wasn't crucified for sucking up to the Romans. He was terminated for protesting against the Romans' abuse of the poor and dispossessed. 

Can Rosa Parks play strong safety though...

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Capers single handedly made CK millions. Pathetic. 

There was also a 4TD game against the Patriots. Kaepernick's 2012 regular season extrapolated to 16 games: 313/501 4172 yards, 23 TDs, 7 INTs with 12 rushing touchdowns (and 21 fumbles).

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Can Rosa Parks play strong safety though...

Tenacious player,

Does an excellent job sitting down in her back pedal.

Doesn't do a good job rotating to the back of her zone.

More of a passive, taken to the ground tackler than a violent hitter.

Lack of wheels is a problem.

Ultimately not someone who is draftable (for Vietnam)

Parks also lacks stamina.  Remember, she wanted to sit down because she was tired.  Sounds like a player that will not give you 100% when you really need it. By the end of the game everyone is tired, you don't willingly sit down.  We want players that want to play.  

The point in question is whether a player who takes a position on a social issue should be ineligible to play in the NFL, or any sports league. This has nothing to do with the quality of the player's performance, or Rosa Parks for that matter! I agree that this is on the edge of acceptable topics for this forum, but when I advocate for signing Eric Reid and the argument against signing him is based on the fact that his kneeling during the national anthem is reason enough not to sign him, then that opens up the discussion. I will listen to arguments about Reid based on his fit with scheme, overall ability, contract demands vs. cap space, etc., but I don't think it's fair to use his stance on a social issue to dismiss his potential value to the team. 

29 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The point in question is whether a player who takes a position on a social issue should be ineligible to play in the NFL, or any sports league. This has nothing to do with the quality of the player's performance, or Rosa Parks for that matter! I agree that this is on the edge of acceptable topics for this forum, but when I advocate for signing Eric Reid and the argument against signing him is based on the fact that his kneeling during the national anthem is reason enough not to sign him, then that opens up the discussion. I will listen to arguments about Reid based on his fit with scheme, overall ability, contract demands vs. cap space, etc., but I don't think it's fair to use his stance on a social issue to dismiss his potential value to the team. 

Look at it from the perspective of an employer/owner:

I have a group of employees who are making my customers unhappy. I believe that the employees hearts are in the right place but that they're misguided on the facts of the issue.

I'm already losing customers due to outside market forces and this group of employees is driving away the one base that is going to be most resistant to those changing outside market forces. 

This customer base I'm catering to is a bunch of stubborn *******s who think I should've fired all of my employees making them upset immediately. I'm going to have a very hard time bringing members of this customer group back without universal compliance from my employees. 

I reached out to the leaders of the group of employees and offered to donate $2,781,250 to the cause that they're wishing to raise awareness of in exchange for them not upsetting my customer base any further.

The leader of this group of employees agrees to the terms on behalf of this group of employees.

A few of the members of this group don't like the terms and bail on the group and will continue to upset my customer base.

Now, in this universe we're imagining all of my employee contracts expire after three years and we have to renegotiate employment terms.

Conveniently, one of the troublesome employees who refused to comply is no longer employed. He's a good but not great employee and certainly not irreplaceable. 

After a few months of being unemployed, this employee begins to sweat. He promises that he will stop upsetting my customer base but refuses to apologize.

Now, once I hire this employee, it becomes financially painful for me to fire him. He knows this and understands that I will have to pay fines if I fire him for continuing his behavior. 

+++

As a business owner, are you hiring this guy?

RealTalk: identity politics are beginning to make me nauseous. 

Outside of that I'm not sure what the reason is for the depressed safety market. I honestly didn't even know Reid was kneeling. That's how much I pay attention to anything but the packers lol

Marty being a d bag had nothing to do with his political leanings.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Now, once I hire this employee, it becomes financially painful for me to fire him. He knows this and understands that I will have to pay fines if I fire him for continuing his behavior. 

As a business owner, are you hiring this guy?

There's ways around that. Offer him the 1 year 3-4 mil deal we gave house last year. No risk all upside. He's swallowed his pride and said he's done. Once he's proven he can contribute, the kaep leagal thing falls apart and everyone forgets all of this we've got a leg up on signing him long term.

Just spitballing here and not confident at all this is right but if teams had the kneeler and the druggie off their lists that drives up Burnett's price as the only decent option. Alternatively someone is hoping to snag them cheap.

3 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Marty being a d bag had nothing to do with his political leanings.

There's ways around that. Offer him the 1 year 3-4 mil deal we gave house last year. No risk all upside. He's swallowed his pride and said he's done. Once he's proven he can contribute, the kaep leagal thing falls apart and everyone forgets all of this we've got a leg up on signing him long term.

Just spitballing here and not confident at all this is right but if teams had the kneeler and the druggie off their lists that drives up Burnett's price as the only decent option. Alternatively someone is hoping to snag them cheap.

House still saw $1,000,000 before his first game and the team wouldn't have gotten that back if he were cut the day before game 1. 

The S market is just very down this year. Burnett signed for peanuts and I know he's an older guy, but there's just not a love there. DBs who can't cover man to man aren't bringing in the big bucks. 

It's not just people on the Right protesting the NFL for the demonstrations. I know for a fact that a lot of people on the Left boycotting it for their continued unemployment.

On that note, five-thirty-eight did a study showing that the NFL fanbase is very evenly split, politically. It's not NASCAR where the vast majority are right-wing, or NBA where the majority are left-wing.

So the NFL owners' position is not a good business decision. It's actually kind of the worst one they could take. They should go in one direction and commit to it. Shut the protesting down completely or totally accept players that do it. None of this middle-ground "Ehh, we're too afraid to stand up for them but also too afraid to employ them so I dunno let's just do neither ~hyuck!"

Archived