2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Stupid thought I just had, do you think now that Ted is gone FAs might take us a little more seriously, in terms of thinking we might really make a competitive offer for once? Where maybe in the past they would blow us off but now might be more curious

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Stupid thought I just had, do you think now that Ted is gone FAs might take us a little more seriously, in terms of thinking we might really make a competitive offer for once? Where maybe in the past they would blow us off but now might be more curious

I can see it. Ted being perceived as cheap/ not actively looking into FA, coulda stopped the conversation from even beginning .

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Hi Norm

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i haven't been paying attention - has someone said something on Cobb?

They asked Gute about it an he was pretty firm about wanting to keep his vets. Now that could be to preserve trade value, but it wouldn't shock me. Well know in a week I guess.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Seems like fans are shocked at the $$ invested into the WR position.   I feel that Russ Ball is not overly worried about that for the 1 year that it would be in 2018.  

You mean he's fine with spending the money we are slated since it's only one more year of it? I can't read good

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:
3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Seems like fans are shocked at the $$ invested into the WR position.   I feel that Russ Ball is not overly worried about that for the 1 year that it would be in 2018.  

You mean he's fine with spending the money we are slated since it's only one more year of it? I can't read good

Yes.  When both Nelson and Cobb were signed, it was highly likely that those deals would be seen to the end.  Drafting Adams and his development was what the GB front office would have hoped for anyway.  The timing of Adams re-signing for his current deal happens to overlap with the Nelson and Cobb deals for the 2018 season.  

I just envision Russ Ball with a significant excel spread sheet with contract numbers laid out for numerous years and a system that has every last nickel of the salary cap accounted for...no real surprises.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I'd have no problem cutting Cobb and Jordy even if we didn't target a 10+m WR.

Same, I’d be for releasing Jordy then trying to resign him around 2 years 11-13 million total, doubt he has much more value than that to other team

2 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Same, I’d be for releasing Jordy then trying to resign him around 2 years 11-13 million total, doubt he has much more value than that to other team

Why not just restructure? Why cut?

Plus everyone is worried about Nelson and Cobb but one Aaron Rodgers can give Green Bay like something of 15 million in cap space the sooner he signs a new deal cause they can pro rate that cost.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'd have no problem cutting Cobb and Jordy even if we didn't target a 10+m WR.

I'm in the same boat but I think Cobb is the more valuable of the two. I still think Cobb can be a heck of a player. For whatever reason it always seems like Cobb is the guy that comes up with the clutch plays in the big games. For example, he had 3 TDs against the Giants legit pass defense in the 2016 playoffs and was the leading receiver in the win or go home game against Carolina last year. Cobb was also the leading receiver in the NFC Championship Game when we got blown out. It seems like Cobb is always the guy you can count on when the chips are down. Jordy seems to disappear in the big games. I think Cobb is more valuable to the offense than many would have you believe and Aaron really likes the guy. Our offense was lethal in the 2016 playoffs with Adams, Cobb, and Cook. I think Jordy is done. The only way I can see Jordy staying is if he restructures with a major paycut. I think for the right price a guy like Watkins could add a lot to our offense. I've been saying it for a few years now that this team really isn't all that talented on the offensive side of the ball. I actually see more talent and better athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Year after year Thompson has been drafting early talent for the defense and Capers just could never get anything out of it. The end result is a depleted offense that lacks speed. Our WR group was the slowest in the NFL last year and our TE group is awful. I don't really know what else to say. Guys like Jordy and Cobb are big names because ARod is Superman and does commercials but how good would they really be on other teams. I think TE is the main priority though. Our TE group is flat out terrible.

Archived