2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Only way Cobb gets cut is if we make a major free agent signing, or plan on doing that.  A lot of people are gonna try trolling me if we do cut Cobb because I was pretty firm on my belief that there was no way in hell we would cut him, and there wasn't.  There was no way in damn hell we would have cut him if Thompson was still our GM.  Now that Gute is our GM, it's a possibility.  Still think it's highly improbable, but it's now a possibility. 

Don't think there's any way we cut Jordy. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Only way Cobb gets cut is if we make a major free agent signing, or plan on doing that.  A lot of people are gonna try trolling me if we do cut Cobb because I was pretty firm on my belief that there was no way in hell we would cut him, and there wasn't.  There was no way in damn hell we would have cut him if Thompson was still our GM.  Now that Gute is our GM, it's a possibility.  Still think it's highly improbable, but it's now a possibility. 

I'll meet your "maybe" and raise you a "it ain't happening" - slides all my chips into the middle ^_^

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll be very surprised if either Cobb or Nelson gets cut. They both still have good value and Nelson is open to a restructure. GB can open up more cap space with a Rodgers extension and Matthews rework as well. I think they let Cobb finish his out. 

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Cobb/Jordy were always going to be reworked in some fashion for 2018. Whether that's an outright cut, or restructure of some sort is the question.

6 hours ago, strat1080 said:

I'm in the same boat but I think Cobb is the more valuable of the two. I still think Cobb can be a heck of a player. For whatever reason it always seems like Cobb is the guy that comes up with the clutch plays in the big games. For example, he had 3 TDs against the Giants legit pass defense in the 2016 playoffs and was the leading receiver in the win or go home game against Carolina last year. Cobb was also the leading receiver in the NFC Championship Game when we got blown out. It seems like Cobb is always the guy you can count on when the chips are down. Jordy seems to disappear in the big games. I think Cobb is more valuable to the offense than many would have you believe and Aaron really likes the guy. Our offense was lethal in the 2016 playoffs with Adams, Cobb, and Cook. I think Jordy is done. The only way I can see Jordy staying is if he restructures with a major paycut. I think for the right price a guy like Watkins could add a lot to our offense. I've been saying it for a few years now that this team really isn't all that talented on the offensive side of the ball. I actually see more talent and better athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Year after year Thompson has been drafting early talent for the defense and Capers just could never get anything out of it. The end result is a depleted offense that lacks speed. Our WR group was the slowest in the NFL last year and our TE group is awful. I don't really know what else to say. Guys like Jordy and Cobb are big names because ARod is Superman and does commercials but how good would they really be on other teams. I think TE is the main priority though. Our TE group is flat out terrible.

This is a good post, I don't necessarily agree with the takeaway, but the points are valid.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'll meet your "maybe" and raise you a "it ain't happening" - slides all my chips into the middle ^_^

I would totally agree with both of you if Cobb was making $4mil but at his current salary? I’d say 50/50 he stays. I think I would be in the same boat as HZ. If we sign someone else I think he’s gone for sure. I feel he had Nelson would both be wise to restructure by adding a year or 2 for very little more money but bonus pushed forward and stick around. 

Imagine is taking Courtland, Chark or someone like that in the second round. It would be a sting WR unit with Adams and Chark wide with Jordy and Cobb in the slot. 

I mean, Jordy and Cobb are past their prime but their still our second and third best WR’s

5 minutes ago, Haha21 said:
8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

They will need to create more room if they want to do something in free agency.

That is the total cost for all the picks.  You still have to subtract the players that the draft picks will be bumping off the top 51 for salary cap purposes.   That is a minimum of 480K.  so 480 x the number of draft picks is reducing it by almost $5M.  The net cost is more like $3.75M

Just now, squire12 said:

That is the total cost for all the picks.  You still have to subtract the players that the draft picks will be bumping off the top 51 for salary cap purposes.   That is a minimum of 480K.  so 480 x the number of draft picks is reducing it by almost $5M.  The net cost is more like $3.75M

I really hate when they don't include this. 

Just now, squire12 said:

It's also if we draft 12 players, right? 

Either way, if we just cut Kendricks, Hawkins and Marwin Evans, that saves 2.96 million dollars with less than 630,000 dead cap.  We do not have to make big changes to save enough money to sign players.  ESPECIALLY considering our cap space goes from 16 million this year to 73 million next year.  People need to stop worrying about our ability to sign players and start worrying about whether or not we will even try to.  We can.  It's just a matter of whether or not we do. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Either way, if we just cut Kendricks, Hawkins and Marwin Evans, that saves 2.96 million dollars with less than 630,000 dead cap.  We do not have to make big changes to save enough money to sign players.  ESPECIALLY considering our cap space goes from 16 million this year to 73 million next year.  People need to stop worrying about our ability to sign players and start worrying about whether or not we will even try to.  We can.  It's just a matter of whether or not we do. 

Keep Marwin tho. Probably up there for best #5 safety in the nfl lol 

I guess he's #4 tho if we get rid of Burnett

42 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

IF GB were to trade up, the cost on the draft picks can actually go up as earlier round picks would cost more.   All would depend on how much is given up and the net change in cap hit for the picks acquired vs given up.  

Archived