2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Looks like SF is gonna go hard after Sherm, not that he had a chance to end up in GB anyways. Still think the answer in GB is to sign Tramon plus one of Colvin, Claiborne or Prince, then draft a guy with the 1 or 2. I dont see a splash like Butler or Trumaine. Probably still a chance House comes back as well now that Randall is gone but personally he wouldnt be my first choice given his injury history.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Looks like SF is gonna go hard after Sherm, not that he had a chance to end up in GB anyways. Still think the answer in GB is to sign Tramon plus one of Colvin, Claiborne or Prince, then draft a guy with the 1 or 2. I dont see a splash like Butler or Trumaine. Probably still a chance House comes back as well now that Randall is gone but personally he wouldnt be my first choice given his injury history.

1. As long as Sherman isn't a Patriot. 

2. It will be so nice to have Tramon Williams, Aaron Colvin, Claiborne or Prince on IR at the end of the year instead of young guys like Randall.  They'll be able to coach up the undrafted rookie free agents we'll have starting by the end of the year, so instead of giving up 70 yard touchdown passes, we'll only give up 68 yard completions thanks to the tips provided by those veterans. 

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We don't have any other safeties. We need HHCD to bounce back under Pettine, now that Capers is done ******* with his head. 

The money needed to go sign some players is there....with Cobb and Nelson. They are two of the most overpaid players in the league. We need to pull those triggers, try to restructure both (significantly), if one or both say no, say bye bye.

Trading HHCD doesn't make sense to me, but cutting Cobb and Nelson to make cap space when you're probably not going to be getting equal value back is tough. Unless you think you can pull equal production out of 6mil per year (possible) but that still leaves you nothing left over to fix the DBs.

Nelson and Cobb are overpaid, but the problem is that when you remove the dead cap cost, they're basically paid what you would expect. 

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

A healthy, young Sherman is world class.  A recently injured (twice) Sherman is still an upgrade in this Packer’s defense.  Screw it, sign the guy and let King learn from one of the best, and maybe even obtain a bit of an edgy attitude in the process.

Tell ya.....the only way Sherman fits in is if we intend to play a whole lot of nickle zone coverages. Flood the field with fast (recently DC reinvigorated.....) ballhawks - cause I honestly dont think Sherman's gonna be able to keep up in man/man. I like the guy - always have. He's smart as a whip and has the perfect attitude. A CB needs that type of attitude IMO - where its mano y mano - one on one - you and me. You want a guy that says "It ain't happening....I'm beating you" - then backs it up.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tell ya.....the only way Sherman fits in is if we intend to play a whole lot of nickle zone coverages. Flood the field with fast (recently DC reinvigorated.....) ballhawks - cause I honestly dont think Sherman's gonna be able to keep up in man/man. I like the guy - always have. He's smart as a whip and has the perfect attitude. A CB needs that type of attitude IMO - where its mano y mano - one on one - you and me. You want a guy that says "It ain't happening....I'm beating you" - then backs it up.

He may lose a step, but I still like him for GB. He's probably placing a high value on being able to play against Seattle twice a year though. I think he stays in that division unfortunately. 

I don't think Sherman is going to get much on the market, I'd imagine 1-2 years at 3-4 per. He's more or less ring chasing and trying to prove doubters wrong at this point.

Look at the supposed interested teams, if he leaves SF, I'm not sure why we wouldn't be next. I know he likes the Bay area, but Oak, Det, TB, TEN don't seem like contenders this year to me.

16 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Look at the post above yours, Chili.  Outside of GB, no one knows Cobb like Cleveland does...and they preferred Landry and that contract.  That should be very, very telling.

Agree, though, that they have to start building that unit back up.  

I think that's not a terrible jump in conclusion to make, but it might be a bit presumptuous.  For all that we know, Gute was asking for a 3rd round pick for Cobb instead of whatever the Dolphins were willing to settle on for Landry.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I can't believe people are advocating signing Tramon Williams after they were so desperate to get rid of him.

51 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think Sherman is going to get much on the market, I'd imagine 1-2 years at 3-4 per. He's more or less ring chasing and trying to prove doubters wrong at this point.

Look at the supposed interested teams, if he leaves SF, I'm not sure why we wouldn't be next. I know he likes the Bay area, but Oak, Det, TB, TEN don't seem like contenders this year to me.

I mean, he talks about wanting to play for a contender but his first visit is to San Francisco.  Something about that doesn't add up.  I mean, I get he might prefer to play on the West Coast but how many legitimate contenders are there on the West Coast?  The Rams and Raiders are probably the best bet to hit both of those needs, and I'm not sure the Rams are going to be interested with the addition of Marcus Peters.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, he talks about wanting to play for a contender but his first visit is to San Francisco.  Something about that doesn't add up.  I mean, I get he might prefer to play on the West Coast but how many legitimate contenders are there on the West Coast?  The Rams and Raiders are probably the best bet to hit both of those needs, and I'm not sure the Rams are going to be interested with the addition of Marcus Peters.

Peters Talib and Shields. Zero chance LA will want him which leaves him with Oakland the Chargers and SF. I don’t see any of those three teams as super bowl contenders in the short term. 

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I can't believe people are advocating signing Tramon Williams after they were so desperate to get rid of him.

I wasnt one of them. Our secondary took a nosedive when TT rolled with Randall and Rollins instead of Hayward and Williams. If we signed Tramon tomorrow, he'd be our best CB right now.

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Who says SF cant contend this year? Look at what LA did in one year...SF has the QB now and could add a lot this offseason. Philly just won the SB after sucking in 2016.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I wasnt one of them. Our secondary took a nosedive when TT rolled with Randall and Rollins instead of Hayward and Williams. If we signed Tramon tomorrow, he'd be our best CB right now.

I'm too lazy to go digging, but I'd venture a guess that you were in that slowpoke camp.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm too lazy to go digging, but I'd venture a guess that you were in that slowpoke camp.

I very rarely advocate letting vets walk in favor of unproven rooks, especially at a position like CB and especially when AR12 is my QB. Now if he's an overated/overpaid player, fine, move on, but Tramon was arguably our most consistent CB from 2010-2014 and we didnt let him go because he got $12 million elsewhere, we let him go because we drafted Quinton Rollins, a guy who had 0 NFL snaps. That's the painful part.

Archived