2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Why can't we afford Wilkerson and Johnson? We will clear 15 mil of cap space when we sign AR to an extension. We also can get additional cap room if we would do an extension with Cobb or Nelson. If Gute wants to make a splash he can. 

14 minutes ago, Pilprin said:

Why can't we afford Wilkerson and Johnson? We will clear 15 mil of cap space when we sign AR to an extension. We also can get additional cap room if we would do an extension with Cobb or Nelson. If Gute wants to make a splash he can. 

Someone needs to ELI5 me how we clear the 15 cap on AR.

Lets say GB has $17M in cap space currently....per spotrac http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Wilkerson contract thoughts on a 2 year contract $17M (GB could add a 3rd year structured similar to the 2019 year if needed)

2018 =  cap number up to $6M

• Base = $1M  
  • SB prorated = $3M
  • incentives = $2M (elected to pro bowl/all pro)

2019 = cap number $11M

• Base = $2M
  • SB prorated = $3M
  • roster bonus guarantee $6M (due 3rd day of league year)

Trumaine Johnson 4 year contract $48M

2018 = Cap number $6M

• Base = $1M  
  • SB prorated = $4M

2019 = cap number $11M

• Base = $3M  (Fully guaranteed)
  • SB prorated = $4M
  • Roster bonus guarantee = $3M

2020 = Cap number  $15M

• Base = $8M  
  • SB prorated = $4M
  • Roster bonus guarantee = $3M

2021 = Cap number $16M (could add some more Roster bonus fluff that would be due 5th day of league year to boost the overall value)

• Base = $12M  
  • SB prorated = $4M

Just looking at our salary cap it appears that Kendricks, Ryan, Rollins, Montgomery, Ripkowski, Hundley are all very affordable cuts if we're looking for sizeable cap gains. Only Kendricks would we suffer the biggest dead cap hit.

Cutting Goodson, Hawkins, Brice, Evans would save $2.5m in cap space with only $2336 in dead cap. I sense an opportunity here coupled with trading Randall to completely revamp our entire DB group.

If we wanted to we could take it even further as it appears we won't suffer a dead cap hit if we trade HaHa. Not sure if that's correct but if true then that's $5m freed up no problem.

43 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Someone needs to ELI5 me how we clear the 15 cap on AR.

Sportrac Antonio Brown to see the numbers right in front of you. You'll see how they've deferred his base salary as a bonus throughout the rest of his deal. Rodgers (and Matthews too) are just base salary at this point, next to nothing for bonuses. We can spread that base as a bonus through the rest of his remaining years and new years of an extension.

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just looking at our salary cap it appears that Kendricks, Ryan, Rollins, Montgomery, Ripkowski, Hundley are all very affordable cuts if we're looking for sizeable cap gains. Only Kendricks would we suffer the biggest dead cap hit.

Cutting Goodson, Hawkins, Brice, Evans would save $2.5m in cap space with only $2336 in dead cap. I sense an opportunity here coupled with trading Randall to completely revamp our entire DB group.

If we wanted to we could take it even further as it appears we won't suffer a dead cap hit if we trade HaHa. Not sure if that's correct but if true then that's $5m freed up no problem.

GB has 53 players under contract currently.  Cutting those players saves a little bit, but when you factor in you need to replace them with at least a minimum salary player, the net savings is really small.

Hundley has a base of 705K, so if cut that would be saved, then add back a player at ~500K, your net savings is about 200K.

Those really cheap players, though not big contributors are necessary to fill out the roster cheaply.

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Didn’t the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor too? Just heard that. 

Is this one of those cases where I say, "Germans never bombed Pearl Harbor," and you say, "That's the joke?"  Because Germans never bombed Pearl Harbor. 

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

He'd need to be released. His current contract is heavyyyyyy.

I ran to their subreddit after I made that post. Read all their articles about him.. Didn't realize the contract and it feels like about half of them think he gets cut but he's openly said he wants to see dollar signs just as big, more or less.

Archived