John DeFilippo hired as OC of Vikings

Apparition

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I mean in that case he could have just told NYG no.

I'm assuming, like VikesFan89 alluded to, Kevin was likely promised the OC job after Flip gets a HC job. Staying with/eventually getting to be Zimmer's OC > going to NYG where they're pretty much starting over with a HC that already has a failed experience elsewhere.

Not to mention he'd be the guy here as OC with a defensive head coach. 

I can't imagine they did this without talking to Kevin first. Sucks for the Giants though

6 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I think the Vikings decided that they spent 12 years showing this guy how to coach in the NFL and they werent interested in letting another team reap the benefits.

Maybe they learned their lesson with Larry Fitzgerald.  They spent a lot of years teaching him how to be a receiver and he got away from us after college.  

On 2/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, TENINCH said:

I think the Vikings decided that they spent 12 years showing this guy how to coach in the NFL and they werent interested in letting another team reap the benefits.

Right. No shame in that. Vikings blocked the move because they wanted to retain the coach. Simple as that. Every team does it and it’s ok. It’s a business and it’s bad business to let a good coach go that you want to retain to go help another team. 

On 2/13/2018 at 2:08 PM, Ketchup said:

Right. No shame in that. Vikings blocked the move because they wanted to retain the coach. Simple as that. Every team does it and it’s ok. It’s a business and it’s bad business to let a good coach go that you want to retain to go help another team. 

It's bad business to block your assistants from getting promotions. It speaks poorly of you as a coach. However, I expect that Vikings fans are right about him wanting to stay. DeFilippo is gone next off-season with a good year.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's bad business to block your assistants from getting promotions. It speaks poorly of you as a coach. However, I expect that Vikings fans are right about him wanting to stay. DeFilippo is gone next off-season with a good year.

Pretty much.  The only time that you're "expected" to block your assistants is if they're trying to jump to a divisional rival.  A few years ago, the Lions approached the Packers about interviewing Winston Moss for their DC gig, and they blocked that interview.  If you block your coaches from interviewing, it makes them feel like they're being limited in moving up the ladder.  But I'd agree DeFilippo will be gone in a year or two for a HC gig.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's bad business to block your assistants from getting promotions.

In some cases the block is done as a favor for a coach who doesn't want to interview for that particular team. The coach just says, "sorry I was blocked"

That keeps him clean from a PR view and keeps the door open for future interviews/opportunities

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In some cases the block is done as a favor for a coach who doesn't want to interview for that particular team. The coach just says, "sorry I was blocked"

That keeps him clean from a PR view and keeps the door open for future interviews/opportunities

exactly, thank you.

47 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That doesn't make sense in this case, though. 

The Vikings might be a bad organization to work for...

11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

He only has 1 year left on his contract 

you mean Stefanski? that's right. Next year we won't hold his rights and can't block him from being an OC next year.

Since Flip will be gone (all that needs to happen is our offense be mediocre looking) after this season we could just sign Stefanski as our OC.

The Vikings will be beefing up their offensive coaching staff with the former offensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders. Adam Caplan reports that Todd Downing is expected to join the Vikings in the role of senior offensive assistant.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/17/report-vikings-adding-former-raiders-offensive-coordinator-to-coaching-staff/

Downing has previous experience working with the organization from 2001-05. He has also worked with the Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions and Raiders as a quarterbacks coach before being elevated to offensive coordinator in 2017. He was let go when Jon Gruden was brought in.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Todd-Downing-to-join-Vikings-coaching-staff-115248197

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings will be beefing up their offensive coaching staff with the former offensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders. Adam Caplan reports that Todd Downing is expected to join the Vikings in the role of senior offensive assistant.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/17/report-vikings-adding-former-raiders-offensive-coordinator-to-coaching-staff/

Downing has previous experience working with the organization from 2001-05. He has also worked with the Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions and Raiders as a quarterbacks coach before being elevated to offensive coordinator in 2017. He was let go when Jon Gruden was brought in.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Todd-Downing-to-join-Vikings-coaching-staff-115248197

Meh. Not good enough to be an exciting move, but not an important enough position to be concerned about it. I imagine Downing is happy to be home though.

Archived