General Final Fantasy Thread

On 1/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I know alot of diehard FF fans bashed the game for that, but I can get into any game that has a good narrative, fun gameplay and an interesting world to explore.     

Ill definitely be trying it sometime.....but not sure when.   Im just starting up Dragon Age Inquistion right now.   We will see if I can get into it.  

Inquisition is solid. The best part is the Dragon battles.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 2:12 PM, Supersuavesky said:

Inquisition is solid. The best part is the Dragon battles.

I really liked inquisition. Some of the builds are downright broken though. The melee magic build gives you back health while doing a crap ton of damage making the game a cake walk. I liked FFXV but didn't love it. I spent so much time doing side quest crap that I got bored and moved on. I HAVE to do any side quests before moving on to a different area so its painful when the game packs it full of dull ones. 

I liked the core group even if they were just bad anime tropes. 

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it's like one of my least favorite FF's LOL. I'll probably buy it, if only because I'm a sucker for any and all rpgs. 

Definitely unpopular opinion there lol. Why is it one of the least favorites? To me, the story is awesome, the protagonists are awesome, the villain is awesome, the chocobos are awesome lol. Definitely my second favorite of the series! Plus, it's a "new" FF game which I'm always down to get!!

3 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Definitely unpopular opinion there lol. Why is it one of the least favorites? To me, the story is awesome, the protagonists are awesome, the villain is awesome, the chocobos are awesome lol. Definitely my second favorite of the series! Plus, it's a "new" FF game which I'm always down to get!!

Two fold. One through no fault of the game's own - when it came out, I didn't get to it right away. I was playing through other rpgs like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts. Then I actually picked up FFT and played through that before I played FF7. This is definitely one of the problems that FF7 ran into - FFT still remains one of my all time favorite games. So meanwhile, while playing through these other games - people were talking about how great and epic FF7 was and how it was the greatest thing ever. By the time I got to it, fresh off of two of my favorite games ever (Suikoden and FFT), and then all the hype surrounding FF7, it just didn't live up to it. I suppose it was never going to live up to that kind of hype though. That's why I don't really fault the game for failing to live up to that standard. But things just didn't do it for me. I loved some of the music. Obviously the Aeris / Aerith death scene is still one that will forever resonate with me, though again, that was lessened just a bit by the death of characters in Suikoden (Gremio, touchingly) and the death of Delita in FFT.  Actually did not care for the look of the game, particularly the 3d character renderings. It was a big deal at the time, and I get what an innovation it was at the time, but I was just sort of meh on it stylistically. 

Second was the game itself. I've long been a critic of the stories that FF put out there. The FF's that I love are the ones that I tend to think are the best in the story telling department. I thought FF7 was a bit of a jumbled mess - I think it would have been great as sort of it's own anthology right from the off. I didn't much care for any of hte characters outside of face value. Sephiroth and Vincent  were awesome....but there was really nothing under that awesomeness. Cloud was a hot mess. Etc Etc. 

I did love Advent Children though. Still watch it from time to time. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Two fold. One through no fault of the game's own - when it came out, I didn't get to it right away. I was playing through other rpgs like Suikoden, Vandal Hearts. Then I actually picked up FFT and played through that before I played FF7. This is definitely one of the problems that FF7 ran into - FFT still remains one of my all time favorite games. So meanwhile, while playing through these other games - people were talking about how great and epic FF7 was and how it was the greatest thing ever. By the time I got to it, fresh off of two of my favorite games ever (Suikoden and FFT), and then all the hype surrounding FF7, it just didn't live up to it. I suppose it was never going to live up to that kind of hype though. That's why I don't really fault the game for failing to live up to that standard. But things just didn't do it for me. I loved some of the music. Obviously the Aeris / Aerith death scene is still one that will forever resonate with me, though again, that was lessened just a bit by the death of characters in Suikoden (Gremio, touchingly) and the death of Delita in FFT.  Actually did not care for the look of the game, particularly the 3d character renderings. It was a big deal at the time, and I get what an innovation it was at the time, but I was just sort of meh on it stylistically. 

Second was the game itself. I've long been a critic of the stories that FF put out there. The FF's that I love are the ones that I tend to think are the best in the story telling department. I thought FF7 was a bit of a jumbled mess - I think it would have been great as sort of it's own anthology right from the off. I didn't much care for any of hte characters outside of face value. Sephiroth and Vincent  were awesome....but there was really nothing under that awesomeness. Cloud was a hot mess. Etc Etc. 

I did love Advent Children though. Still watch it from time to time. 

Definitely can't fault you for playing some of your favorites ever then going to something and it failing to live up to the hype. I think every person ever has gone through that with games, movies, TV, etc etc. I wasn't the biggest fan of the look of the game either but at the time, it was pretty good. This obviously will make that a moot point though lol. This game looks gorgeous in these previews and FF knows they have a standard to live up to especially with what is widely considered their best. This will be visually appealing and I'd put everything I own on that lol.

You speak of characters and I would love to comment on that but it's been soooo long since I've played this that I really don't remember much besides Seph, chocobos, and a few things from characters here and there. That sounds like I'm agreeing with you in that they're not that memorable or great but I think it's more that I just haven't played this game in this century lol. 

My biggest reservation about this is I'm curious if I'll still like it as much as I did back then or if it was merely me being young and more easily impressionable. I highly doubt the latter. I've played ff3(6) this century and it still holds insane value so I'm feeling positive I'll enjoy this one. I would love a 3(6) remake but I'm fine with it being where it is. Kefka is my favorite villain of any game, ever.

First time I played Final Fantasy 7, I hated it. My friends were playing it, so I tried it, and couldn't understand why they liked it so much. Probably because I only played it for like 5 minutes, and wasn't used to turn based game play.

Few years later, I borrowed Final Fantasy 8 from a friend... And absolutely loved it. Must have played through it at least five times, and then decided to go back and play Final Fantasy 7... and grew to love that too. Then went on to love Final Fantasy 9 and 10.

Since then, the final fantasy series has been disappointing, although still decent in my opinion. Still have to play 15, and I will absolutely be getting this.

The only thing I'm really iffy about is them changing the combat... Really have a feeling it's going to suck.

I expect everything else will be fine and it'll definitely hit the nostalgia feels hard but I fully expect the combat to be absolutely terrible.

27 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The only thing I'm really iffy about is them changing the combat... Really have a feeling it's going to suck.

I expect everything else will be fine and it'll definitely hit the nostalgia feels hard but I fully expect the combat to be absolutely terrible.

I'm kind of with you. I wouldn't mind them sticking with the old school turn based system with some quirks. We don't see it as often anymore. 

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

I'm not in the same boat regarding combat. I think turn based was great while it was a thing but things evolve. I like the move to more reaction based combat in games. Makes you think quicker. This isn't to say if it were somehow turn based, I'd be upset but it's all preference. You're right about the nostalgia though. As I said prior, I haven't played this since my first or second go-round w/ it so this will basically feel like a brand new game to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Turn based games are outdated, and while I loved the old games, there was nothing overly special about the gameplay.  Not saying the new system will be good, but you seem like you're dismissing it simply because you are mad they aren't making the gameplay exactly the same...even though it would be a huge mistake to do so.

37 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Turn based games are outdated, and while I loved the old games, there was nothing overly special about the gameplay.  Not saying the new system will be good, but you seem like you're dismissing it simply because you are mad they aren't making the gameplay exactly the same...even though it would be a huge mistake to do so.

See I disagree with this, the classic turn based or atb system can still work fine... Didn't hurt persona 5 at all.

My biggest concern is that sqeenix has shown that they really really suck at trying to modernize combat...ffxv had terrible combat and the teaser makes it look like the combat will be similar to that. 

20 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

...ffxv had terrible combat and the teaser makes it look like the combat will be similar to that. 

Might've asked you this and if so, my bad, but why is it bad?? I loved XVs combat. It was just so damn hard to actually die in the game. That's why I wasn't the biggest fan. Aside from that, I thought it was intense.

My biggest gripe about the game in general was they released the game unfinished. After the first world, it was meh but the first world was incredible IMO.

Edited by JTagg7754