General Final Fantasy Thread

30 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Might've asked you this and if so, my bad, but why is it bad?? I loved XVs combat. It was just so damn hard to actually die in the game. That's why I wasn't the biggest fan. Aside from that, I thought it was intense.

My biggest gripe about the game in general was they released the game unfinished. After the first world, it was meh but the first world was incredible IMO.

It was too chaotic at times imo and the magic and summon systems were by far the worst in any rpg I've ever played... Which is fine to a degree since you can just say magic and summons aren't a big part of XV's gameplay... But they most certainly were with VII and I'm very skeptical about then implementing the systems well in a combat style similar to XV.

Also I absolutely hate only being able to control one character... That's part of the fun of JRPGs is using the different characters various strengths and if they use a system similar to XV and only allow you to control Cloud I'm going to be absolutely pissed (and I know a lot of other people will be as well).

Don't get me wrong... I'm going to buy the game no matter what and I'm confident I'll enjoy it even if I don't like the combat. I'm just not expecting anything too great on that front... Like I said the rest of the game I expect to be fine.

Edited by rob_shadows

On 5/10/2019 at 10:46 PM, rob_shadows said:

It was too chaotic at times imo and the magic and summon systems were by far the worst in any rpg I've ever played... Which is fine to a degree since you can just say magic and summons aren't a big part of XV's gameplay... But they most certainly were with VII and I'm very skeptical about then implementing the systems well in a combat style similar to XV.

Also I absolutely hate only being able to control one character... That's part of the fun of JRPGs is using the different characters various strengths and if they use a system similar to XV and only allow you to control Cloud I'm going to be absolutely pissed (and I know a lot of other people will be as well).

Don't get me wrong... I'm going to buy the game no matter what and I'm confident I'll enjoy it even if I don't like the combat. I'm just not expecting anything too great on that front... Like I said the rest of the game I expect to be fine.

I like the chaos but definitely don't disagree lol. Absolutely a preference. I don't disagree that the summon and magic system weren't great either. Not a fan of the summon system at all.  Overall, I don't disagree w/ your gripes at all, they're just not as important to me. 

The combat in the previews definitely make it seem like it won't be turn-based but from what I noticed, the characters are all on one side while the enemies are not so I'm still thinking they might try to stick w/ it. At least maybe a modernized version of it??. The preview said we'll see more next month so let's see what they give us!! 

• Like 1

I bought Final Fantasy IX on the Switch yesterday. Played for about an hour, fought only three or four battles? I see where people say that it's slow, but I'm enjoying it so far. 

I really haven't played that many Final Fantasy games. I've only finished VII and X, I think, thought I've played parts of VI, IV, and maybe Tactics. I wish that those SNES games were available on Switch/Xbox...

Edited by Lions017

6 is the best if you can get over how outdated it is.

I think 8 is 2nd best...but that's not a popular opinion.

9 is great, but somewhat cartoonish.

12 was good...but I never finished it.  IMO, this is when it went down hill a bit...mainly because I didn't really like the characters much.

13 was solid IMO...but again, didn't like the characters and it was way too linear.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

6 is the best if you can get over how outdated it is.

I think 8 is 2nd best...but that's not a popular opinion.

9 is great, but somewhat cartoonish.

12 was good...but I never finished it.  IMO, this is when it went down hill a bit...mainly because I didn't really like the characters much.

13 was solid IMO...but again, didn't like the characters and it was way too linear.

8 has always been my favorite, was the first final fantasy I played since playing the original on the NES and I absolutely loved the characters and story, Squall was pretty much me so that's probably a big part of it.

8 also to this day still has the best soundtrack of any FF game imo.

• Like 1

I know that video games take much longer to make these days, but I miss how you used to get multiple (2-3) FF games per generation. It looks like XV is going to be it until next gen, and the XIII series was it for the previous generation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I know that video games take much longer to make these days, but I miss how you used to get multiple (2-3) FF games per generation. It looks like XV is going to be it until next gen, and the XIII series was it for the previous generation. 

I hate this also. It's to be expected w/ open world games and in XV's case, the damn thing wasn't even finished lol. It is what it is though.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:32 AM, Lions017 said:

I bought Final Fantasy IX on the Switch yesterday. Played for about an hour, fought only three or four battles? I see where people say that it's slow, but I'm enjoying it so far. 

I really haven't played that many Final Fantasy games. I've only finished VII and X, I think, thought I've played parts of VI, IV, and maybe Tactics. I wish that those SNES games were available on Switch/Xbox...

I was the opposite on 9. I loved disc 1 (back on the old psx days where games covered multiple games), then thought the game completely fell about for the last 3 discs or whatever it was. 

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

8 has always been my favorite, was the first final fantasy I played since playing the original on the NES and I absolutely loved the characters and story, Squall was pretty much me so that's probably a big part of it.

8 also to this day still has the best soundtrack of any FF game imo.

10 is my favorite - one of the reasons is the sountrack to that game. To Zanarkand is still one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a game. But much the same, I liked the characters / story. The ending was also by far my favorite for final fantasies...super bittersweet, I thought it landed it perfectly (I also tend to ignore X-2 ever came out)

I actually loved 8 too, way more than most (prefer it to 7), but I will say that it's hindered considerably by the draw system, which is overly tedious. 

• Like 1

Story and gameplay wise I don’t think FF6 can ever be beat.    It did multi-party strategy years before it became a thing.  

And stuff like the Opera scene, and of course, the idea of letting the bad guy (and what a bad guy) win, again years ahead of its time.   From Celes to Locke to the Twins, the iconic Shadow (loved telling his backstory through the discovery of dreams in hotel visits, hated that it was random lol) and of course, Kefka, such a well-written cast.  And of course, what a soundtrack.  Most of all, the gameplay was so fun with different skills, and the story kept you hooked until the end 40-50 hours later.     

The only thing that holds it back are the graphics - but ppl also forget at the time it’s mode 7 graphics were far ahead of what could he done on the SNES.     I just re-played it last year with my 12 year old daughter who was blown away - she’s jonesing hard for FFVII remake now lol.  So I do think it stands the test of time (she enjoyed FF15 but VI was head and shoulders above in her opinion).  

I loved FF7, 10 & 12 and the camaraderie in FF15 (that early release and broken factory chapter, brrrr)- and I’ll probably forgive XIII more than it deserves.   But it’s hard to see FFVI lose its spot as top dog.   The only RPG that tops it IMO is Chrono Trigger.  So bummed it wasn’t on the SNES Classic release (the Steam release was an abomination).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Story and gameplay wise I don’t think FF6 can ever be beat.    It did multi-party strategy years before it became a thing.  

And stuff like the Opera scene, and of course, the idea of letting the bad guy (and what a bad guy) win, again years ahead of its time.   From Celes to Locke to the Twins, the iconic Shadow (loved telling his backstory through the discovery of dreams in hotel visits, hated that it was random lol) and of course, Kefka, such a well-written cast.  And of course, what a soundtrack.  Most of all, the gameplay was so fun with different skills, and the story kept you hooked until the end 40-50 hours later.     

The only thing that holds it back are the graphics - but ppl also forget at the time it’s mode 7 graphics were far ahead of what could he done on the SNES.     I just re-played it last year with my 12 year old daughter who was blown away - she’s jonesing hard for FFVII remake now lol.  So I do think it stands the test of time (she enjoyed FF15 but VI was head and shoulders above in her opinion).  

I loved FF7, 10 & 12 and the camaraderie in FF15 (that early release and broken factory chapter, brrrr)- and I’ll probably forgive XIII more than it deserves.   But it’s hard to see FFVI lose its spot as top dog.   The only RPG that tops it IMO is Chrono Trigger.  So bummed it wasn’t on the SNES Classic release (the Steam release was an abomination).  

I feel like graphically the SNES has held up incredibly well. PS1/N64 games can be pretty rough to look at, but those 2D sprites stand the test of time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I feel like graphically the SNES has held up incredibly well. PS1/N64 games can be pretty rough to look at, but those 2D sprites stand the test of time. 

Agreed. It's actually easier for me to go back and play games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI than it is for me to go back and play FFVII and some other psx games. 

3 hours ago, Lions017 said:

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed. It's actually easier for me to go back and play games like Chrono Trigger and FFVI than it is for me to go back and play FFVII and some other psx games. 

Yeah, that style still gets used today very effectively for popular PC games (Stardew Valley being one of many examples).  That’s a testament to how it stands the test of time.  

Edited by Broncofan

On 5/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Broncofan said:

I still feel FF2 (FF4) still was the best out of all the FF's with 6 coming just behind that one. Chrono Trigger is neck and neck with 6 IMO.