General Final Fantasy Thread

30 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Don't base the FF series on XV. You'd be doing yourself a big disservice lol. VII is a staple RPG and, IMO, one of the greatest games ever made and it's still not even my favorite FF game.

I think turn based is archaic and I like this better. Turn-based is the norm of FF games so I get people's gripes and they definitely have them. I embrace and enjoy the change though. 

I get that, but to be honest, I kind of miss it too. I haven't been the biggest Octopath fan, but the return to the TB combat has been nice.

40 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I kinda missed old turn based games like Vandal Hearts (different style with movement tiles) or Legend of Dragoon (FF style I think). Been wanting a good one for mobile since I think they translate well to that platform. I'm sure real time action will be more fun for me, but I am surprised they are making that change to such a classic. Very bold move imo.

I can't argue w/ this at all and you're also right, it is a very bold move! You're disrupting one of the core values of the game. As someone stated earlier, the summon system in XV was garbage and I agree. I hope they change it here as they are a vital part to this game. Very vital. 

I miss TB as well but after getting involved in a massive battle w/ live action and having a successful outcome, I feel it's far more intense of an experience than sitting and waiting. I liked the sweet spot of turn based but you still needed to move b/c once the enemy "bar" became full, they would attack again whether you did anything or not. Can't remember when this was adopted but I did like it better than say the first FF game where it was your turn until you did something whether it was done in 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I get that, but to be honest, I kind of miss it too. I haven't been the biggest Octopath fan, but the return to the TB combat has been nice.

Everyone's preference is just that and I don't disagree (even though I have no clue what Octopath is lol). Just the snippets they've shown thus far make the battles look so intense and IIRC, these scenes are just the first 20 minutes of the game! Can't wait to see what they look like later on.

17 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Everyone's preference is just that and I don't disagree (even though I have no clue what Octopath is lol). Just the snippets they've shown thus far make the battles look so intense and IIRC, these scenes are just the first 20 minutes of the game! Can't wait to see what they look like later on.

Octopath Traveler is a turn based JRPG for the Switch.

The battles in the remake look cool, and i was fine with FFXV, so I have no problem with the change. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I kinda missed old turn based games like Vandal Hearts (different style with movement tiles) or Legend of Dragoon (FF style I think). Been wanting a good one for mobile since I think they translate well to that platform. I'm sure real time action will be more fun for me, but I am surprised they are making that change to such a classic. Very bold move imo.

Dude, get yourself a SNES emulator on PC and find the ROM for Chrono Trigger / FF IV & VI (and for action RPG, Secret of Mana, but it's well behind those other 3), or the SNES classic and play FFVI and Secret of Mana (no FFIV or Chrono Trigger, sadly).  Do NOT play the Steam PC versions of the games, though, horrible PC ports.

FF IV-VI were the pinnacle of the FF franchise, and FFVII was such an iconic transformation in the game experience.  FFX & FXII are decent, and other than a cringeworthy scene (everyone knows what I'm talking about in X), they translate pretty well.  Those are the signature FF games.  FFXV is just a LOT better than the XIII disaster (XIII was OK in the original, but not as strong, but Square EA decided to actually port out sequels for the very  first time <FF are standalone chapters each time> - and FFXIII-2 and FFVXIII-3 were absolute disaster horror shows.   I've not played XIV because online RPG's would kill me, but otherwise since FFIV, I've literally played every FF RPG - and I couldn't even get past 2-3 hours of FFXIII-3....I just watched the Youtube videos to get the game story completed lol).   

The peak IMO is IV-VII, with VII's graphical upgrades aging less well over time, which is why a reboot is the way to go - while you could play IV or VI right now and have a blast (I just did with my then-12 year old daughter last year, she can't wait for FFVII remake).

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Dude, get yourself a SNES emulator on PC and find the ROM for Chrono Trigger / FF IV & VI (and for action RPG, Secret of Mana, but it's well behind those other 3), or the SNES classic and play FFVI and Secret of Mana (no FFIV or Chrono Trigger, sadly).  Do NOT play the Steam PC versions of the games, though, horrible PC ports.

FF IV-VI were the pinnacle of the FF franchise, and FFVII was such an iconic transformation in the game experience.  FFX & FXII are decent, and other than a cringeworthy scene (everyone knows what I'm talking about in X), they translate pretty well.  Those are the signature FF games.  FFXV is just a LOT better than the XIII disaster (XIII was OK in the original, but not as strong, but Square EA decided to actually port out sequels for the very  first time <FF are standalone chapters each time> - and FFXIII-2 and FFVXIII-3 were absolute disaster horror shows.   I've not played XIV because online RPG's would kill me, but otherwise since FFIV, I've literally played every FF RPG - and I couldn't even get past 2-3 hours of FFXIII-3....I just watched the Youtube videos to get the game story completed lol).   

The peak IMO is IV-VII, with VII's graphical upgrades aging less well over time, which is why a reboot is the way to go - while you could play IV or VI right now and have a blast (I just did with my then-12 year old daughter last year, she can't wait for FFVII remake).

You're underselling 8 and 9...and alot of people loved 12.    8 actually got me into FF and 9 is near the top for alot of people.

13 wasnt as bad as some make it out to be, but the characters mostly sucked and it was much more linear than any previous FF game.  Haven't played 15 yet.

6 is the best all around game.  7 was the most revolutionary.  Beyond that, its mostly about personal tastes.  Most people would agree, though that 12 is the last FF game that truly felt like Final Fantasy.  

Edited by FourThreeMafia

Ok, I'm obviously fan-girling over this game but the combat system has me even more sold. Easy switching between players, key shortcuts, stalled combat for strategy, and those graphics 😍😍😍😍😍

Easy preorder, no hesitation. This is going to be epic

Edited by JTagg7754

13 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You're underselling 8 and 9...and alot of people loved 12.    8 actually got me into FF and 9 is near the top for alot of people.

13 wasnt as bad as some make it out to be, but the characters mostly sucked and it was much more linear than any previous FF game.  Haven't played 15 yet.

6 is the best all around game.  7 was the most revolutionary.  Beyond that, its mostly about personal tastes.  Most people would agree, though that 12 is the last FF game that truly felt like Final Fantasy.  

8 is hard because, literally until now,  the only available version was an ugly, barely functional mess unless you emulate in which case it's just ugly as sin.

However now that there's a remaster I uh, strongly suggest purchasing it.

eGozOap.gif

Blessed Square, it took 8 million years but it was all worth it. (buy it on PC so you can download widescreen mods, though) Also for reference this is, actually more of a remake than a remaster, considering they lost a lot of the root assets and basically had to do what the team that made KH 1.5 did and rip what assets they could from an old copy and then make the new models from scratch.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

57 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

8 is hard because, literally until now,  the only available version was an ugly, barely functional mess unless you emulate in which case it's just ugly as sin.

However now that there's a remaster I uh, strongly suggest purchasing it.

I bought it on PSN years ago and it looks and plays just how I remember it.

4 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

eGozOap.gif

Blessed Square, it took 8 million years but it was all worth it. (buy it on PC so you can download widescreen mods, though) Also for reference this is, actually more of a remake than a remaster, considering they lost a lot of the root assets and basically had to do what the team that made KH 1.5 did and rip what assets they could from an old copy and then make the new models from scratch.

Honestly I think this is a test to see what the demand for the game is, I think if sales of the remaster show a high demand for 8 then there is a very good chance they do a true remake like they are with 7...square has already come out and said they are open to remaking more games and judging from the pop from the crowd at E3 as soon as you heard "Fithos" I'd say demand is high enough.

Personally I will be absolutely thrilled beyond words if they do a full remake of 8... It's always been my favorite final fantasy game.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1