BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Richard Seymour ceiling.

Desmond Bryant floor.

He's got nasty interior pass rush moves and flashes brilliance in the run game. He's apparently out of shape or just plain lazy, because at times, he get destroyed on single blocks by guys that he has been lighting up all game long. He's a very inconsistent player, but his flashes of brilliance lead me to believe he's going to be a pro bowl player if he can hone in his talent. But he's insanely gifted and with some polish, conditioning, and coaching, McIntosh can become a superstar.

I do question his fit in a 3-4, as I don't think he plays with great hand usage in the run game. This is going to make him easy to block when he's head up over an OT. I think he's at his best playing a pure 43 UT spot. Or even 2T on the weak side. But I don't think it will benefit him to place him across from big OT's and ask him to lock out those OT's and stack/shed. He wins with quickness and speed, not violent hands.

Sounds like you got yourself another scrub @Jlash. Dude sounds like Albert Haynesworth post contract signing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

After weeks of trying Louisiana finally get their man.

Welcome to Louisiana Benson Mayowa!

You got a draft pick and got rid of poor contracts to do so as well. Good job

• Like 1

I think I've done a pretty good job retooling in spite of some of the criticism I've received for my moves. 

I fell into the trap of being too top heavy last year and it gave me an amazing season but no title to show for it. Too many big contracts tying up capital in injury, age and regression risks. And ultimately, that was what  cost me.

My philosophy with Brady should've mirrored the Pats - you don't need a roster that's good enough to win the title, you need a roster that's good enough to not lose it. 

So I've made moves with 3 prevailing thoughts:

1. It's better to trade players a year early rather than a year late. Ex: Reshad Jones, Eric Weddle, Damon Harrison.

I'll firmly say that each of these guys is past the best in their career and if not, they won't be much better. At least I free up cap and get something for them while I can.

2. Availability is the best ability. Given what I said about Brady before, my goal now isn't to get homefield or win every match. It's to make the playoffs with a healthy lineup or at least one with the depth to withstand injuries. Brady gives me a shot in every match, the other players just need to get hot at the right time. 

3. The Darnold/Allen era is fast approaching. I have a grand total of 4 draft picks from the last 2 years on my roster - 2 of which are QBs. The other two are Josh Jackson and Eq. St. Brown. I couldn't afford Thomas, Conklin and Jones' 3Ups so I offloaded Conklin and even then, I can't keep expecting to turn to FA to build my roster. So I'm going to give myself many shots to get these key starters and depth players the cheap way and afford myself a year for their development while I'm still a contender with Brady.

My moves in acquiring 2019 draft capital have been pretty deliberate from the end of this past season. I think it's starting to manifest now as my roster and draft capital begin to fill up.

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 1