BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

I like this, especially for one year deals on risky players but it should count as a 3up but you can rescind the tag and get back your 3up.

No.  That's just getting too complicated and would be a pain.

I don't know about this franchise tag thing. I feel like it could be abused for QBs similarly to how people think the Packers should handle Rodgers.

Matt Ryan's 3 up this coming year will be $26500. The current franchise tag for QBs according to the proposal would be $20,779. A 20% increase on that would be $4156 for a total of $24,935. That's two years of tags you get at less than a 3up price. This will be even worse when a player like Rodgers signs his new deal.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I don't know about this franchise tag thing. I feel like it could be abused for QBs similarly to how people think the Packers should handle Rodgers.

Matt Ryan's 3 up this coming year will be $26500. The current franchise tag for QBs according to the proposal would be $20,779. A 20% increase on that would be $4156 for a total of $24,935. That's two years of tags you get at less than a 3up price. This will be even worse when a player like Rodgers signs his new deal.

Boom, nailed it!

34 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Make the franchise tag the equivalent of their 3up for 1 year or the average of the top 5 salaries, whichever one is higher. 

I feel like a franchise tag should be an option as a 3up but ehh it's not necessary considering the 3up covers IRL franchised players for 1 year deals.

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

Well, for Rodgers it would be a problem on the basis that he's the best QB in the league. 

I don't think it'd necessarily be a problem for Ryan though, or basically any non top 3 QB. Average of top 5 would make him the 2nd, 3rd, 4th highest paid QB in the BDL. Yes it is less than his IRL salary, but comparatively vs. other BDL players he's not underpaid & thus there's no big advantage. 

We could go with higher of IRL salary or average of BDL top 5 I guess. 

• Like 1

BDL - Owners Meeting Proposal: Increase # of years on mid and late round draft picks. 

Reason: You are seeing 4 year contracts for 5th round draft picks IRL. Our 7th rounders IRL 4th round picks. Should be similar.

51 minutes ago, PR said:

BDL - Owners Meeting Proposal: Increase # of years on mid and late round draft picks. 

Reason: You are seeing 4 year contracts for 5th round draft picks IRL. Our 7th rounders IRL 4th round picks. Should be similar.

This would kill BDL RFA more deader than it already is. I was opposed to making BDL 4th rounders 4 year deals a few years ago for the same reasons and look where we are today. Also it would lock in 16 more players for another year that we may want to let go.

17 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

This would kill BDL RFA more deader than it already is. I was opposed to making BDL 4th rounders 4 year deals a few years ago for the same reasons and look where we are today. Also it would lock in 16 more players for another year that we may want to let go.

RFA is never big in the NFL as it is... maybe one guy per year is signed.

It would only be a problem with 5th rounders right? 6th rounders are sub 500 so they can be cut at any time after year 1. 

Other thing is, RFA acts as a proxy 4th year anyway. If a guy's worth keeping, RFA tagging him is probably a discount on what he'd get anyway and you prob hit on the pick so it's not like we're in a bad position if we have to tag someone instead of 500 for the 4th year. 

• Like 2