OC Vacancy Watch 2018 - Report: Groh getting the job

Kiltman

3 hours ago, Phire said:

Doug won the Super Bowl, I think he knows what he's doing.

Yup full trust in Dougie P. 

Hope this Groh promo doesn’t set in motion some bad blood for Duce; maybe feeling as though he earned the right to be our OC. 

2 minutes ago, 808 said:

Yup full trust in Dougie P. 

Hope this Groh promo doesn’t set in motion some bad blood for Duce; maybe feeling as though he earned the right to be our OC. 

Well typically positional coaches only get promoted once they prove they can develop players at the spots they coach. Duce has struggled with that part. His only claim to fame is corey clement is an solid second option but probably could never be a feature back.

Groh played QB and has plenty of QB coaching experience. I think that's the defining reason he was promoted over Duce. Also, Duce has actual use during the games. He pretty much solely ran the RB rotation. I wonder if Doug didn't want to disrupt that. Crappy reason for Duce but oh well. 

44 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Well typically positional coaches only get promoted once they prove they can develop players at the spots they coach. Duce has struggled with that part. His only claim to fame is corey clement is an solid second option but probably could never be a feature back.

I sorta agree but not sure who else he was supposed to develop. He kept Blount acting normal (which is no small feat) and got Ajayi acclimated to the offense quickly. 

But I have no issue with this promotion. 

37 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Groh played QB and has plenty of QB coaching experience. I think that's the defining reason he was promoted over Duce. Also, Duce has actual use during the games. He pretty much solely ran the RB rotation. I wonder if Doug didn't want to disrupt that. Crappy reason for Duce but oh well. 

I think Groh having some QB experience was a big reason. Another big year for Wentz as he returns from injury and teams around the league start to adapt to him more. 

35 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Groh it is. Wonder if he will be the WR coach too or did he also have an assistant to promote from within with his same philosophy?

I imagine it’ll be the Assistant WR Coach who gets bumped up.

As for the decision between Duce and Groh, Groh has been coaching a lot longer (18 yrs vs Duce’s 7), and has that QB experience/perspective that Doug seems to covet.  I trust DougieP to make the right call.  He’s done it to a high degree successfully, and he’s presenting beautifully right now.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I feel like there are going to be Social Media post relating this move (picking Groh over Duce) to things Chip Kelly was accused of. *cough*

unavoidable nowadays

Groh had more experience and involvement last year, it's why he got the nod.

Glad they bumped duce up a little too though.

Probably the best way they could've handled it

Would like to see one vet coach get brought in though

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

unavoidable nowadays

Groh had more experience and involvement last year, it's why he got the nod.

Glad they bumped duce up a little too though.

Probably the best way they could've handled it

Would like to see one vet coach get brought in though

I mean I kinda would like to have seen them bring in former Penn State WR coach (who recently moved on to Alabama) Josh Gattis.

Archived