Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

Reality:

Mayfield is short by NFL QB standards and not a prototype in the Wolf/GB framework.

He also has character concerns, which is another black mark in the same.

The Big 12 hasn't produced any star QBs largely because of the O systems used in that conference that produce inflated stats, like Mayfield's.

He is a punk.

Go place a bet on his being our pick if you are so confident that you are right.

I try not to consider Conference when evaluating a QB. It does nothing but distort perception with preconceptions. QBs can come from anywhere and everywhere. Too many folks assume SEC QBs will be the best because they play in the best conference, but I cant remember any recently, other than the Manning bros and Stafford.  But, just a thought.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, candyman93 said:

SIgning a bunch of free agents has worked for Philly and Jacksonville. They both destroyed the theory that you can’t buy contenders.

Finding talent in free agency is no different than finding talent in the draft.

Yeah, but Philly really did a solid job of drafting. Much easier to fill around solid players than trying to make up for duds in the draft.

3 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I like most, I just wish we could have landed a stud or 2.  Overall they make our roster stronger.  They should bump a lot of non roster worthy guys off of our final 53.  Get Suh, Honey Badger, and Pryor and I am thrilled.

Unfortunately, top FA's have zero interest in Cleveland unless they just want a high paid easy team to play on, with no thought of being competitive. In it just for the money. 

Next year, when we begin to look like a team on the rise, decent FA's will want to come here to be a part of perhaps something special, till then, forget top FA's, they are not coming to Cleveland.

Hopefully, we just sign a few cheap FA's and wait till next year, otherwise, we are just tying up money on useless talent! 

13 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from the MYTH that is arm length (https://birdbreakdown.com/2014/02/27/are-long-arms-bad-for-bench-pressing-not-so-fast/), I'd say my strength to size ratio is much larger than his.

Sounds like you're making a convenient excuse for him.

No, but it is a red flag and cause for concern. It's the worst combine ANYONE has ever had.

Ah, yes, because every example of why the combine is useless goes back to Tom Brady, a guy who's own college coaches didn't evaluate properly. The combine isn't the end all/be all, but it still has it's place. It tells everyone that Zeus is a HORRIFIC athlete and that's a huge cause for concern.

If the combine was so all-fired accurate then we wouldn't have half the 1st round busts league-wise, nor would there be any surprises late round or UFDA.  These exams for lack of a better word help identify athleticism, but sometimes that isn't the whole story.  Cute post about arm length, that's one persons opinion ... others vary.   End of the day,  our opinions are worth exactly the same, which is nothing - neither of us gets paid for our take on NFL prospects.  

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

Unfortunately, top FA's have zero interest in Cleveland unless they just want a high paid easy team to play on, with no thought of being competitive. In it just for the money. 

Next year, when we begin to look like a team on the rise, decent FA's will want to come here to be a part of perhaps something special, till then, forget top FA's, they are not coming to Cleveland.

Hopefully, we just sign a few cheap FA's and wait till next year, otherwise, we are just tying up money on useless talent! 

Sad but true, we can get the Bowes and Britts of the NFL though.  I would hope that the new front office would bring more credibility though.

2 hours ago, StewieRules said:

If the combine was so all-fired accurate then we wouldn't have half the 1st round busts league-wise, nor would there be any surprises late round or UFDA.  These exams for lack of a better word help identify athleticism, but sometimes that isn't the whole story.  Cute post about arm length, that's one persons opinion ... others vary.   End of the day,  our opinions are worth exactly the same, which is nothing - neither of us gets paid for our take on NFL prospects.  

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I have long arms, so I guess I should probably side with your take...I'm a victim of circumstances and no matter how hard I work, I'm fighting a losing battle and am obviously much stronger than my bench numbers show.

End of the day, this is a forum, where we post our opinions. Since neither of us gets paid for our take on NFL prospects, we should find something else to do with our time.

Side note:

If I was the Browns GM, I'd have knocked it out of the park since I was 16 years old, as compared to dudes we've paid millions to blow picks...I'd wager 50% of posters here AT MINIMUM would have done better.

We would have had better results if we drafted based on forum-wide polls. Not an exaggeration...

18 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree and said he should performed better. When I was talking about his arm length I was trying to use it more so as a positive of him as a player and not a weight lifter.

browns would have to do some serious homework on him and try and find out why his combine was so bad. Hopefully a private workout does that for them. 

When you see that size and length and then watch his game tape, dude has everything to be a stud. You see the combine and it just doesn’t match up. I would like to know what his numbers were when he was an athlete at Bama. That’s what we need to know to confirm if the combine is truly that bad. Looking at his combine he reminds me of Michael Oher but had a lot better game tape. 

Its like I would love to draft him and than have Joe Thomas be his personal coach/mentor. I know he is retired but he said him and the Browns still want to work together. This could be his bridge to stay with the browns and work in the media. 

Hell I wish someday Joe Thomas could be our team president lol

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Sad but true, we can get the Bowes and Britts of the NFL though.  I would hope that the new front office would bring more credibility though.

A lot of critics have said that the moves the Browns made prior to FA did do that. It’s going to take more than a couple of trades to rebrand the browns but they say the way Dorsey is approaching the team and the moves he is making is opening eyes of a lot of people around the league. 

Like a lot of moves he has made is gaining attention. It started off with willing to keep hue. It shows potential coaches that he is willing to give coaches benefit of the doubt (hue crying about the roster) and that he is willing to give coaches a chance (he had all the reasons to fight to have Hue fired). No one will judge him if he has to fire Hue in the middle of the season because hue made that bed by sucking. If hue turns it around, Dorsey and them will get some credit for keeping him. 

Archived