Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Ok, now that I think of it, not spending anymore time talking or reading about Lawson and his disappointing tenure with SF. The offseason is already long enough. He was a bust to me, and I don't care if anyone agrees. The end. 

Edited by PapaShogun

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, I gave you a list of such guys -

Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Joseph Addai, Michael Robinson, Leon Washington, Marcedes Lewis, Stephen Gostkowski, and Sam Koch

Which one do you want? Because for Pro Bowlers, that doesn't seem like a list of players remarkably better than Lawson. You didn't necessarily jump for any of them. You alluded to wanting other players the other teams picking in hindsight also would have taken. 

But the whole activity is stupid and meaningless, because obviously teams weren't going to draft players in order of greatness or draft mid, late, or even undrafted prospects early. The idea that Marques Colston should have been the pick at #6 overall instead of Vernon Davis (approximately the 6th best player at the same position of need) makes for an interesting redraft article but has no basis in reality. Not to mention that late round guys drafted without the pressure of being first rounders suddenly have it, and those who came in with a chip on their shoulder suddenly lose it. And I think it's likely without question that guys like Colston might have radically different careers if they're suddenly transplanted from Super Bowl-level teams with HOF QBs to teams run by offensive geniuses like Hoestler and Raye.

In the 2006 class, Pro-Football-Reference ranks Manny Lawson 41st in the class in career approximate value. It's not a perfect system, but one of the better ways to rank careers of players across positions. An overdraft? Sure, but not like it was anywhere near actual draft busts from that class like Matt Leinart, Bobby Carpenter, or Tye Hill. And of the 40 guys ahead of him, 15 of those players were drafted more than 2 full rounds later than Lawson. Meaning- of all the guys drafted within the first three rounds, the team drafted the 26th best player at pick #22. That's hardly worth batting an eye over.

They drafted a perfectly average guy. 

Interesting. And I assume that a bunch of guys on that list were drafted lower and only hindsight is now telling us they were good. In other words, they weren't legitimate candidates to be selected that high. And many were likely already gone by our pick.  So of that would likely lift hjim much higher on the list of guys that any team would seriously have considered taking him at that spot. So he probably turns out to be a decent pick at that spot.  Without all the stats which sometimes just obfuscate what is otherwise a simple matter, lots of first round guys turn into to nothing, mere backups, or have a few year career as a mediocre starter. Getting a 10-year NFL starter ia at least an average result, maybe even slightly above average result, for a pick in that range.

Edited by big9erfan

11 hours ago, Gravity said:

New white jerseys pictures revealed today. 

Actually it was last night during the State of the Franchise event. They kept the old logo on the helmet which is a nice touch. Also the old letterhead on the front of the helmet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Actually it was last night during the State of the Franchise event. They kept the old logo on the helmet which is a nice touch. Also the old letterhead on the front of the helmet. 

Thanks, didn't know that. 

I'm going to say something unpopular around here that might get me banned for life...hanging out with Joe Staley for too long would get on my nerves. I would be annoyed after ~5 minutes. Too loud and outgoing, no off switch. Despite being 28, I am basically an old man. #getoffmylawn

7 hours ago, struby3 said:

I'm going to say something unpopular around here that might get me banned for life...hanging out with Joe Staley for too long would get on my nerves. I would be annoyed after ~5 minutes. Too loud and outgoing, no off switch. Despite being 28, I am basically an old man. #getoffmylawn

Probably not as unpopular a thought as you may think.

I do like people around me that make me smile from time to time, but I agree with you. There would be a lot of eyerolls and facepalms after that 5 minutes. Joe would consider me quite boring and perhaps a bit.. dead inside. 

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Probably not as unpopular a thought as you may think.

I do like people around me that make me smile from time to time, but I agree with you. There would be a lot of eyerolls and facepalms after that 5 minutes. Joe would consider me quite boring and perhaps a bit.. dead inside. 

If that's how he was 24/7, I, too, would be exhausted after a short while. I know a lot of guys like that who can turn it on and off.

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

If that's how he was 24/7, I, too, would be exhausted after a short while. I know a lot of guys like that who can turn it on and off.

I bet you can't turn me on

• Like 1