Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

I hope that they want to see some of Moore before the season is up. As bad as the secondary has been at times, there's positively no reason not to give him some real game experience. 

He might just be part of it. Powell was reportedly showing positive signs at CB as well. With Marcell Harris soon to be activated, they might prefer trying Powell at CB again just to see what we have in him. Let's be honest - we can pick up a Mabin at any point. 

Just thinking...if Garoppolo never got injured, there is a legit chance that we would be 6-4 or possibly 7-3 in two weeks. Beathard came within 2 points of SD and 3 of GB, and was essentially the main reason for the Cardinals losses. Garoppolo is likely worth wins in at least 3 of those. Looking at Oakland/Giants coming up, it's easy to imagine 6 or 7 wins.

Tampa Bay and Denver would likely be the only other two potential wins, though. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Just thinking...if Garoppolo never got injured, there is a legit chance that we would be 6-4 or possibly 7-3 in two weeks. Beathard came within 2 points of SD and 3 of GB, and was essentially the main reason for the Cardinals losses. Garoppolo is likely worth wins in at least 3 of those. Looking at Oakland/Giants coming up, it's easy to imagine 6 or 7 wins.

Tampa Bay and Denver would likely be the only other two potential wins, though. 

In a way it is actually good he got injured as it exposed more flaws on the roster than it would have had he played and we would have won those games. Would have given us a false sense of where the team really was.

Who am I kidding, there is nothing good that came from him getting hurt. But it did show how far this team is. 

• Like 2

The only good thing to come from the injury is the top 5 edge rusher we are going to get in April. Hopefully we are #1 and can trade down a few times, get some future picks, and still get one of the top 2-4 edge rushers. Someone who in any normal year would be a top 2-3 pick that we get at #6 or something, who ends up being the best of the bunch? 

I mean, Aldon Smith was drafted 11th I believe. JJ watt was drafted 13th ... Von was taken second. That draft was insane. 

I know J likes polite, seems like he might be someone we can get much later like in the 2nd or something

4 hours ago, N4L said:

The only good thing to come from the injury is the top 5 edge rusher we are going to get in April. Hopefully we are #1 and can trade down a few times, get some future picks, and still get one of the top 2-4 edge rushers. Someone who in any normal year would be a top 2-3 pick that we get at #6 or something, who ends up being the best of the bunch? 

I mean, Aldon Smith was drafted 11th I believe. JJ watt was drafted 13th ... Von was taken second. That draft was insane. 

I know J likes polite, seems like he might be someone we can get much later like in the 2nd or something

Nope. All the truly outstanding pass rushers will be gone in the 1st. Polite doesn't drop that far. There will be some options, but not ones we want to settle for, IMO.

Pass rusher with our 1st pick is a must.

42 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Nope. All the truly outstanding pass rushers will be gone in the 1st. Polite doesn't drop that far. There will be some options, but not ones we want to settle for, IMO.

Pass rusher with our 1st pick is a must.

Yes. It's the main ultra premium position that we need. It is (hopefully) going to be the last year for a bit that we'll be picking in the top 10. It allows us to (Saleh permitting) evaluate Solomon Thomas in his best role and develop a young secondary without them getting shelled and mentally shattered by teams taking advantage of our poor pass rush. We still need the free safety that makes this defense tick. Like, I was all in on Malik Hooker in the rough spot where we picked Solomon Thomas and settled on Minkah Fitzpatrick last year for similar reasons. But that's a pick you can get in the ~15 area. It's much tougher to get an impact pass rusher below ten unless you hit the lottery later on. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Polite isn't making it to the 2nd round. No way, no how. Unless he tests poorly at the combine or has some off the field or medical red flags. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Mostert to IR following last nights game. Obviously expected, but damn, sucks for him. 

Hopefully we re-sign him and bring him back next year. 

At least Moseley got into a game, I guess? 

Resigned Savage again. Will we ever sign another RB though? 

1 hour ago, AustrianNiner said:

Resigned Savage again. Will we ever sign another RB though? 

Yep. Likely one of the two practice squad guys. Moseley is also headed to IR so we still have an open spot, and we're clearly okay releasing Savage before games and re-signing him after.

On 2018-11-02 at 3:35 PM, Forge said:

Mostert to IR following last nights game. Obviously expected, but damn, sucks for him. 

Hopefully we re-sign him and bring him back next year. 

At least Moseley got into a game, I guess? 

Sucks. I missed his injury during my medicated coma. I thought he had actually deservedly passed Morris on the depth chart. He was playing great. That's really too bad. 

23 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yep. Likely one of the two practice squad guys. Moseley is also headed to IR so we still have an open spot, and we're clearly okay releasing Savage before games and re-signing him after.

Wilson looked good in preseason. He's next in line, right?

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Any interest in signing Bruce Irvin?  Not sure he fits too well but does Marsh?

Former hawks, former raiders... we'll probably give him an ungodly amount of money (I'm looking at you, Malcolm Smith).

4 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Wilson looked good in preseason. He's next in line, right?

I would hope so. I thought he was always a perfect fit for the system. Kinda excited to see him promoted and getting a chance to play. I think he could replicate what Mostert was doing (on offense). Would also probably be our best receiving back.