Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

To be fair, they are voting for him as the special teams ace. I wouldn't quite call him that either, but it's not like he's being voted the top linebacker. 

This will correct itself once the other 2/3 of the Pro Bowl process takes place. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Garcon to IR again. May have played his last game as a niner. Not a great FA contract lol

Yeah luckily we have a team option on his contract in 2019. Per OTC

Pierre Garcon signed a five year, $47.5 million contract with the 49ers. Garcon received $20 million in guarantees, $17 million of which are fully guaranteed at signing. Garcon received a $12 million signing bonus. The 49ers hold an option on the 2019, 2020, and 2021 contract years.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah luckily we have a team option on his contract in 2019. Per OTC

Pierre Garcon signed a five year, $47.5 million contract with the 49ers. Garcon received $20 million in guarantees, $17 million of which are fully guaranteed at signing. Garcon received a $12 million signing bonus. The 49ers hold an option on the 2019, 2020, and 2021 contract years.

Yeah, but we don't save much money from cutting him. Just like 1.2M or something like that. 

https://www.sbnation.com/a/nfl-stats-data-analytics-2018

A note on just how much our turnover problem is hurting the team - it effects almost every area we are below average in this set of metrics (well, except for the red zone offense metrics). Our offense and defense both have among the very worst starting field positions in the NFL - well, if you are turning the ball over way too much and never getting any turnovers in return, that happens. Efficiency and explosiveness wise, we range from mediocre to good. But in terms of turnovers and in terms of red zone offense, we are truly putrid. Exactly why we can field a team that outgains the Giants, Cardinals (once), and Seahawks handily and comes away with zero wins in those games. I'm not sure the turnovers have a mean to regress to, either. We've committed 11 fumbles and only lost four. You'd expect more and not less turnovers out of that. And our lack of interceptions can be tied more to scheme/personnel deficiencies, rather than to luck (though on that front, I have no data on interceptable passes thrown versus us vs. caught, which would be interesting, and might tie somewhat to luck). The picks on offense are higher than you'd expect for Jimmy G, but in line with the lesser passers we've had to put out there. And besides, Jimmy tends to sling his share of interceptable passes from the small sample size we have for him. The team's major focus, therefore, has to be on increasing the number of picks. And to do that, we need pass rushers and capable pass defenders. Simple, and pretty much what we've all been saying, but confirmed with data.

Two pass rushers, a ballhawk at FS, someone who scores TDs, and another linebacker should be the minimum this offseason.

Pettis might even already be the TD guy. But I would prefer finding that playmaker. One pass rusher should be simple with our first pick. Earl Thomas makes a ton of sense. Linebackers have not been that difficult for us to find.

• Like 2

8. JOE STALEY, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

2018 Overall Grade: 82.5

There was a point in Staley’s career where people were ready to write him off as a bust. Now he’s polishing off a resume worthy of Hall of Fame consideration. Staley has twice been PFF’s highest-graded left tackle and the 34-year-old hasn’t shown any signs of aging again.

Going to be interesting about the HOF. If he makes the Pro Bowl this year and next, he may get some serious consideration. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There was a point in Staley’s career where people were ready to write him off as a bust

giphy.gif

Well, not a bust. I thought he was trending downward and we should get value for him in a trade.

That being said, his Hof candidacy can be monitored I think by what happens with someone like Willie Anderson. If Anderson isn't getting any push, I think it'll be hard for Joe. Anderson was only a four time pro bowler, but he was a three time first team all pro. Staley has 6 & 0, though I think he has two or three second team selections (and I believe a first team selection for PFF. Anderson has about 25 more games, 13 more starts. Staley was  penalized more, though I can't find pressure and sacks

So I think Anderson is a really solid comp for his Hof enshrinement

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so at best we may have two GOOD years left from Staley?

I wouldn't say that. Staley is an athletic tackle that can really move still. I'd say he can probably provide more than 2, especially if we are talking merely "good" play. The question to me is whether he would want to do that.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

giphy.gif

Well, not a bust. I thought he was trending downward and we should get value for him in a trade.

That being said, his Hof candidacy can be monitored I think by what happens with someone like Willie Anderson. If Anderson isn't getting any push, I think it'll be hard for Joe. Anderson was only a four time pro bowler, but he was a three time first team all pro. Staley has 6 & 0, though I think he has two or three second team selections (and I believe a first team selection for PFF. Anderson has about 25 more games, 13 more starts. Staley was  penalized more, though I can't find pressure and sacks

So I think Anderson is a really solid comp for his Hof enshrinement

That's a fair comparison. But remember, now that PFF has gotten so big and all the writers reference it on damn near every article, they will have a big influence on who makes the HOF or not. At least with those writers that actually use PFF. Now, some of the older writers I'm sure don't care for it but they probably just go off of Pro Bowl births or All Pro births. 

Staley still has 2-3 good years left in him for sure. I compare him to kind of like Andrew Whitworth. And like @y2lamanaki mentioned, it just depends on how much longer he wants to play. He has very good technique to go along with great athleticism even at this point of his career. To me, the team will have to turn it around and show some real SB potential for him to stay longer than two more seasons. I know he loves Shanahan but only so much a player can take of this type of losing.