Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

And he can't stay healthy either, so he's an ideal match. 

True...but I think his price tag would warrant a look. I definitely don't want us going out and spending the kind of money we did on Garcon. Rather we invest heavily on the defensive side. I have faith in Shanny to make due with whoever he trots out at WR. But I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on a guy like Enunwa.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Goodwin just had a year where he couldn't stay healthy. That was the knock on him in Buffalo and I thought maybe he had shaken that label last year but he could never really get going this year. Got injured the first game and it was just nagging injury after nagging injury after that. 

And after Jimmy G went down, we simply didn't have QBs that would throw on the perimeter nor trust their arm to make throws in the intermediate area where Goodwin thrives in. Goodwin with Jimmy G is legit, and more importantly the threat of his speed opens it up for the rest of the offense. Even though Goodwin was used as mainly a decoy yesterday, notice how he was used. Our run game going when he would enter the game as it would take a safety out of the box. Teams rarely just leave a corner on an island in his direction. What would you guys think of signing someone like Tyrell Williams? Or is he something what we kind of already have?

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it all depends on what we do in free agency to determine what I want to do with the middle round picks. I definitely want another corner, though that can be through FA or the draft, I don't care. I want a legitimate free safety back there, and my preference is to do that through FA (Thomas in particular, though there are other options). I want an edge rusher with the first pick. I do want another receiver. Goodwin obviously has had injury issues, and truthfully, I don't know that I can trust him moving forward even when he is on the field. Perhaps it'll be more impressive when he's back on the field with Jimmy G, who obviously loves him, but I don't know. Last year I was noted as saying that I felt that he was largely JAG and enhanced by Shanny's system, and I still think that is the case. Pettis looks legit, and I expect a big leap from him next year, but that isn't guaranteed. Garcon I don't expect back, and Bourne is a nice depth piece, but that's about it. Taylor is a niche player who is solid at what he does, but not spectacular, and it's a nice story that James made the roster as a 7th round pick and may have a future, but I'm not bypassing an improvement for Richie James. Whether we get that receiver through FA or the draft makes no nevermind to me. I don't hate the idea of adding Golden Tate on 2-3 year deal (on a 3 year deal, that final year likely to be fluff anyway), play Pettis at X while Goodwin / Bourne share the Z role. That would still allow Tate in the slot and I think that's formidable to an extent. Not to mention, Tate still creates some great run after the catch which is really nice in this system with Shanny. We will need another LB, preferably a WILL, and there are plenty of options available there in both Free Agency and the draft, so again, either way is fine with me. 

I want Pettis to get a lot of time in the slot so I would like to get a WR that can play on the outside more. His big catch yesterday came with him being in the slot. I would actually be interested in seeing how Goodwin would look in the Z role. Rashard Higgins may also be another guy to take a look at in free agency. 

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Goodwin just had a year where he couldn't stay healthy. That was the knock on him in Buffalo and I thought maybe he had shaken that label last year but he could never really get going this year. Got injured the first game and it was just nagging injury after nagging injury after that. 

Very possible, no doubt. But There's been nothing that makes me change my opinion that he's largely benefited from Shanny in this regard. I don't consider him a complete receiver or anything. I mean, he's fine, but he's largely just a dude in my opinion, just with speed. He's come a long way from his time in Buffalo, but there are still limits. Like personally, I don't know why he's on the field in the red zone. I know that is harsh, but I don't find him to have a particularly adept release off the line, and while he will go over the middle, he's not a hard cutter, and he's not the type that I would want trying to make contested catches in that area. I don't think he's creating two steps of separation without long stretches of land based on speed - he's not juking guys out of their cleats or anything. He's bread and butter in the red zone would probably be a drag route if you know what I mean.. He's not a physical guy, and he's not going to win jump balls given his size, he's not going to come away with the ball a lot of time in small areas such as the redzone. . 

He's almost like a rotational wide receiver. Theres a role for him, but I Don't think it's a 100% snap guy. 

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I want Pettis to get a lot of time in the slot so I would like to get a WR that can play on the outside more. His big catch yesterday came with him being in the slot. I would actually be interested in seeing how Goodwin would look in the Z role. Rashard Higgins may also be another guy to take a look at in free agency. 

I'll pass on Higgins. Again, I'm sort of meh on nickel and diming it. I don't know that Higgins is any better than what we have on the depth chart, so it's kind of whatever. If we are going to go that route, I'll take a look, but I'm in no hurry there. 

Ideally, all of your receivers would play all three roles. That is what the Rams do - they basically have cross trained their big three to play any of the receiver spots on the field at any given time as this also helps mask scheme by allowing for more pre snap motion. So Pettis would definitely see time in the slot. But the team seems more keen on him at the X spot, as that is where the majority of his snaps have come the last 3-4 weeks as we are experimenting with what our younger guys look like in their roles moving forward in future years, and he has feasted in that role. I Think we view him as the x receiver moving forward next year. The Z would be Goodwin / Bourne, which is meh. LIS, not in love with Goodwin, but you could do worse. So tate would be a natural fit in the slot in that alignment if that is what the team wants moving forward. Jermaine Kearse is a guy that we could look at for contested catches, if we want, and he can play the Z or slot, and Enunwa would be a target as well, as 757 said. But the market is pretty meh. Tate would be an upgrade for sure, but the rest of them it's sort of touch and go. I would be interested in Geronimo Allison if the packers gave him an original round tender though. Maybe Tim Patrick? But again, that's only if we are looking at nickel and diming it. Don't love it, but there are some guys I suppose that I'd be interested in. Higgins, Patrick, Allison...intriguing, chance to upgrade, also a chance not to add anything whatsoever

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

He's listed at 6'2, 220 lbs....had solid numbers at his Pro Day so he seems like a bigger body to maybe see what he can provide@the Z position.

He has the difficult task of beating out the excellent Max McCaffrey, though.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/21/nick-mullens-leads-nfl-in-passing-yards-since-week-13/?fbclid=IwAR3oFHVAXy7lAdvlImkh44PvjK815YOh-9S4HwqzBf2PRr9sPE2zc5uatm4

"Despite playing the Seattle Seahawks twice and the Denver Broncos in that three-week span, Mullens has thrown for more yards than any other NFL quarterback. Mullens has posted 1,021 yards since Week 13. Tom Brady is second at 948 yards, and Patrick Mahomes is third with 915 yards."

Pretty sure Kittle is a big reason for that, but I thought this was interesting.