Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But man I thought Mullens for Ramsey is what we're going for??? The Steelers do need a QB of the future so I guess Mullens for Brown may a possibility as well. 

Either way, Mullens gotta bring us back Ramsey, OBJ or AB. If not? Complete failure of an offseason! 

Trade #2 and this year's fourth for Ramsey + #7.  

#7 and Next year's 1 for AB + #19. 

Draft Polite / Burns / Jackson / Sweat (whichever is preference) @ #19. 

Draft preferred offensive lineman / Noah Fant / off the ball linebacker  in round 2 

Draft Juan Thornhill in round 3

I think one thing we will see this year is the offseason go for it more than they have in the last two years. I don't know if we need up with OBJ or AB or Ramsey, but the FO will be aggressive to make this team a legitimate contender. Now, to be fair we did go hard after Mack but that just didn't work out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Draft preferred offensive lineman / Noah Fant / off the ball linebacker  in round 2 

Now that's an interesting trade for Brown. 

What will it take to get OBJ? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Now that's an interesting trade for Brown. 

What will it take to get OBJ? 

Second this year and a first next year,  I Think. That could get it done, but my understanding is that is similar to what we were thinking last year and the Giants weren't interested. That being said, I think that makes the most sense. We aren't going to give up #2 obviously, so I think that's a non starter. The best possible deal that they can get from us I would think would be 2 + next year's 1. Maybe we swap 2 and 5 as well, but that's about the highest they are getting, I think. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Throw in a free agency and I sign off on this.

13 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Throw in a free agency and I sign off on this.

The sick part is that it would barely dent us cap wise next season. Only 15/16 million. We can cut Gilliam, Marsh and make up two thirds of it. Add in celek, coyle and Garcon, and we've recouped the entire new cap hit from adding those two pretty much. Of course, Ramsey is in line for an extension, but that's future 49er problems

So we'd still have plenty of money to go after Thomas, extend Buckner, etc

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I want some of what you guys are taking with all this Madden trading. Trust and believe I want this all to happen but damn haha.

Obviously, neither of those trades would actually happen, but from a value perspective, they aren't all that far off in my opinion. They may need some tweaking (more so the Jags deal than the Pitt deal), but I think that would absolutely be a starting baseline for those trades to happen. For the Jags, I'd probably take Bortles back to basically give the Jags 6.5 million (they save the extra 6.5 million if they trade him rather than just cut him). If they love Haskins and wanted to get him then that trade could certainly be reasonable. We know how much teams will pay to go get quarterbacks. Of course, this is contingent on Haskins declaring and them loving him. Ramsey has to be grating on the team some as well, particularly when you look at what just happened with Coughlin  and Fournette / Yeldon. 

#2 + 4th rounder + 6.5 million (basically) for #7 + Ramsey + Bortles? That values Ramsey at essentially pick #15 (give or take a pick depending on the draft chart you use) + a mid round pick + the cash. For Marcus Peters, in a similar contract situation, the Chiefs got a current 4th and future 2, and also had to give back a current 6th, so his value essentially amounted to a swap of pick 124 and 209 (value, pick #135), and a third rounder (as future year picks are typically discounted a year), one that won't even be high (back 6 of the round). Ramsey is also not coming off a great season. I actually think, especially if they are moving up for a quarterback, that's entirely reasonable. 

The Pitt trade is pretty much a no brainer. I think that they would jump at it for #7 / 2020 1st for #19 / AB.  One of the pitt fans said that they would want a receiver back, and if their FO felt that way, I'd have no problem sending Goodwin back and maybe trying ot get a late round pick in exchange. But I think that's a fairly easy trade to get done (if we were able to move down to 7). While it only values Brown at basically 2 seconds, it gives them an opportunity to secure a top 10 talent in this draft (potentially top 5 if someone reaches for a couple of guys), something that they can't do just straight up taking a first from a team like Seattle, and next years pick is still a first rounder, even though it's delayed. 

Pittsburgh would take a 21 million dollar cap hit if they traded AB. Not to mention lose the best RB and WR in the NFL in the same offseason. Nothing going there.

Ramsey, although played very average most of the season and caused a lot of headache with his mouth is still one of the best up and coming CBs in the game. Bouye was even less effective than Ramsey was and they don't have much at CB besides those two. That defense I believe was also near the bottom of the league in sacks and now they are going to get rid of their best cover guy? And their only 1st rounder whos hit in how many years? Sure Fournette was successful his rookie year but is already butting heads with management as well and couldn't even stay on the field this year, when he did, he didn't look like anything special. 

The value may be fair @Forge, but there's an extremely small probability either team pulls the trigger on those trades, especially with them weighing in our favor for proven production in the NFL. I'd say it's more likely we add OBJ and even with that one I think the probability is difficult to see.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Pittsburgh would take a 21 million dollar cap hit if they traded AB. Not to mention lose the best RB and WR in the NFL in the same offseason. Nothing going there.

Ramsey, although played very average most of the season and caused a lot of headache with his mouth is still one of the best up and coming CBs in the game. Bouye was even less effective than Ramsey was and they don't have much at CB besides those two. That defense I believe was also near the bottom of the league in sacks and now they are going to get rid of their best cover guy? And their only 1st rounder whos hit in how many years? Sure Fournette was successful his rookie year but is already butting heads with management as well and couldn't even stay on the field this year, when he did, he didn't look like anything special. 

The value may be fair @Forge, but there's an extremely small probability either team pulls the trigger on those trades, especially with them weighing in our favor for proven production in the NFL. I'd say it's more likely we add OBJ and even with that one I think the probability is difficult to see.

I'm not convinced the AB thing is dead in the water for any team wanting to make that trade. Doubtful? Yes. Personally, I think this whole thing blows over by the time the new league year starts and everything is all good. I don't think it's dead in the water though. Just depends on their return. . The 21 million is gone regardless of whether they keep him or not. They don't lose anything more monetarily by trading him (and they can spread the hit if they trade him after june, though that would require me to re-work my trade lol), so it actually has no adverse impact on what they can do to improve the team financially. They have to replace Brown, not an easy task, but if you believe even remotely in the Ewing theory, not necessarily impossible to improve the team while losing a superstar. So it depends on how sick of him they are, how much of an issue he is in the locker room, etc. Remember, this isn't the first incident but rather just the latest in a rather long line of incidents for him. At some point, enough is enough, especially when the guy is 31 years old and possibly has been usurped as the #1 receiver on the team. You really don't need two receviers such as JSS and Brown to win in this league. 

Ramsey, meanwhile, would be a trade that would be hard for the Jags to explain. BUt that appears to very much be another locker room in dysfunction, and they aren't going anywhere without a quarterback. I'm honestly not sure that Fournette is even there next year, and that's a guy that was the #4 pick 2 years ago for them (Personally I think the voided guarantees were more a warning shot across the bow rather than a sign of things to come).They are currently over the cap right now, and they are either going to have to sign a marginal quarterback to a longer deal to lower the first year cap hit (which means tying them to said marginal quarterback for 2-3 years), or they are going to have to cut quite a few people from their starting lineup, and at that point, what's the reasoning for signing the vet quarterback because you just closed your window? He's another guy that has caused some tensions, the rumors were they were already looking at potential trades (true or not, we don't know), and etc etc. 

Again, I agree that both of these trades are highly unlikely. And nigh impossible for one team to acquire both (though how awesome would it be at that price? LOL), but yeah, I don't know, I don't think that it's totally impossible either ends up moved in the end. 

But come on, I should be a GM, right? Everything I said totally makes sense and is a great way to improve the 49ers. If @y2lamanaki and I ever get the podcast up and running, get our names out there, who knows, it could happen. I mean, Mayock is a GM now. Lynch is a GM. In 2040, we could be GMing the London Kerfluffle of the NFL!

• Like 1

Just as long as you guys let me be a scout in some fashion you have my full support and I appreciate all the effort put into these hypothetical trades haha. Would absolutely love to add those stars and talent to our roster though. For now, I'll take Earl Thomas, Za'Darius Smith/Shaquil Barrett, Jordan Hicks, Tyrell Williams/Chris Conley and an OG/C in FA and Bosa/Allen in the draft.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not convinced the AB thing is dead in the water for any team wanting to make that trade. Doubtful? Yes. Personally, I think this whole thing blows over by the time the new league year starts and everything is all good. I don't think it's dead in the water though. Just depends on their return. . The 21 million is gone regardless of whether they keep him or not. They don't lose anything more monetarily by trading him (and they can spread the hit if they trade him after june, though that would require me to re-work my trade lol), so it actually has no adverse impact on what they can do to improve the team financially. They have to replace Brown, not an easy task, but if you believe even remotely in the Ewing theory, not necessarily impossible to improve the team while losing a superstar. So it depends on how sick of him they are, how much of an issue he is in the locker room, etc. Remember, this isn't the first incident but rather just the latest in a rather long line of incidents for him. At some point, enough is enough, especially when the guy is 31 years old and possibly has been usurped as the #1 receiver on the team. You really don't need two receviers such as JSS and Brown to win in this league. 

Ramsey, meanwhile, would be a trade that would be hard for the Jags to explain. BUt that appears to very much be another locker room in dysfunction, and they aren't going anywhere without a quarterback. I'm honestly not sure that Fournette is even there next year, and that's a guy that was the #4 pick 2 years ago for them (Personally I think the voided guarantees were more a warning shot across the bow rather than a sign of things to come).They are currently over the cap right now, and they are either going to have to sign a marginal quarterback to a longer deal to lower the first year cap hit (which means tying them to said marginal quarterback for 2-3 years), or they are going to have to cut quite a few people from their starting lineup, and at that point, what's the reasoning for signing the vet quarterback because you just closed your window? He's another guy that has caused some tensions, the rumors were they were already looking at potential trades (true or not, we don't know), and etc etc. 

Again, I agree that both of these trades are highly unlikely. And nigh impossible for one team to acquire both (though how awesome would it be at that price? LOL), but yeah, I don't know, I don't think that it's totally impossible either ends up moved in the end. 

But come on, I should be a GM, right? Everything I said totally makes sense and is a great way to improve the 49ers. If @y2lamanaki and I ever get the podcast up and running, get our names out there, who knows, it could happen. I mean, Mayock is a GM now. Lynch is a GM. In 2040, we could be GMing the London Kerfluffle of the NFL!

I agree if anything it would have to be post june 1st. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-matt-breida-clocked-fastest-ball-carrier-2018-nfl-season

"That's according to NFL Next Gen Stats, which measured the 49ers running back as reaching a top speed of 22.09 miles per hour. Breida reached that speed on a 33-yard carry against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Nov. 25, and it was the fastest measured speed among players carrying the ball on offense, defense, or special teams."

It's the little things that make you happy in a failed season.  lol

• Like 2