Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Same dude who said we were in the running for Allen Robinson..sometimes you have to wonder how folks like this still have a job.

Given how many people know that JLC is a joke, I'm a little surprised he has a job. I really think he just throws random stuff against the wall, has bad sources, etc. 

I will give him credit for being the first that I'm aware of indicating that Herbert was going back to school. 

It's really weird. Supposedly, he was a solid beat reporter when he was doing that, but since he's gone national, it's just very clear that he's outgunned compared to the others and doesn't have nearly the accuracy history and likely lacks the sources of the other guys. I'd say that he'd need a bit more time to build up a reliable network, but he's been a national writer for years now, and he's still the same hack national writer he's been since the start. It's not getting better, to be honest. 

• Like 1

On the subject of improving through free agency, Frank Clark (yes he of the hated Hawks) is a free agent this year.  We could take a run at him.  At least he is a proven commodity.  Do I think for one minute Seattle would let him go - no, but if the financial offer offer was good enough he might jump ship.  Or maybe take a shot at Brandon Copeland of the Jets.  We have to manage our cap pretty tightly and get as much as possible out of it, and I don't see giving AB or OBJ a shedload of money for the appalling attitude they bring to be very smart.  Neither of those guys, no matter how talented they are, strike me as the type of team players Shanahan would want on the squad with the amount of potential aggravation they would bring.  Besides, if we don't improve our pass protection it won't matter who is running the routes if the QB is lying on his back.

If we are going to throw money at free agents I believe it would be best done on defense.  Dee Ford of KC is a UFA this year.  Very underrated player.

If we can't land Earl Thomas (very unlikely I suspect), then Tyrann Matthieu is also a UFA, as is Landon Collins (think I've mentioned him before) - he's a great player who just needs to be on a more disciplined team.

And there's a youngish guy Bryce Callahan currently with the Bears who could provide much needed depth at corner.

Edited by uk9erfan

I’m thinking most of the “available” FA edge players are either locked up or franchised by their current teams in clouding Ford and Clark as both those players are their teams best pass rusher now. I think we can find some depth at the edge spots in FA with some older guys like Clay Matthews or some younger, possibly up and comers who showed well when given the chance with their old teams like Za’Darrius Smith and Shaquil Barrett, specifically the latter who I believe possesses the ability to play both LEO and SAM. 

Personally I wouldn’t even both with Ansah who’s going to cost more and hasn’t really done anything besides spend time with the trainers in a couple years and is 30 or around there.

14 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I’m thinking most of the “available” FA edge players are either locked up or franchised by their current teams in clouding Ford and Clark as both those players are their teams best pass rusher now. I think we can find some depth at the edge spots in FA with some older guys like Clay Matthews or some younger, possibly up and comers who showed well when given the chance with their old teams like Za’Darrius Smith and Shaquil Barrett, specifically the latter who I believe possesses the ability to play both LEO and SAM. 

Personally I wouldn’t even both with Ansah who’s going to cost more and hasn’t really done anything besides spend time with the trainers in a couple years and is 30 or around there.

Yes you're right Ansah has turned 30 and would want a smalll fortune.  We can not take massive hits to our cap on just one or two players - look at the luck we had with McKinnon and Jimmy G - massive salaries and a total of 3 games played between them.  Lynch has to be as smart as possible and get as much value for money as our roster is so shallow.

And yes Smith would be great, but I don't see the Ravens letting him slip - he could be one of their building blocks for years to come. 

Agree with you about Matthews but he's 33 years old.

Edited by uk9erfan

A player you left off your FA target list is Adrian Amos at FS from the Bears. With Eddie Jackson emerging in Chicago I think they may try to move on with Jackson and somebody lined up next to him and not have two high priced safeties but Amos is very underrated. 

I doubt the Giants would let go of their best defensive player in Collins but the Texans might let Mathieu walk since Reid has shown to be the real deal and need to sign Clowney as well as find some OL in FA. 

I still think if Richard leaves Dallas to coach somewhere else we become the favorites to land ET. Plays his hold team twice a year, reunites with Sherman and would play in the same system. Oh, and could make hella money. 

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I still think if Richard leaves Dallas to coach somewhere else we become the favorites to land ET. Plays his hold team twice a year, reunites with Sherman and would play in the same system. Oh, and could make hella money.

Very valid points, and oh how I hope you're right :).

11 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

The only concern I have with is both Amos and Callahan - are they both products of playing with really, really good defensive players around them, or are they really good in their own right?

Amos has been an above average or better player for a couple years now, I think since his rookie year for the most part when he had to start because of injuries. 

Callahan I just heard about this year but I don’t follow the Bears that closely. I also thought he was more of their slot CB.

24 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Amos has been an above average or better player for a couple years now, I think since his rookie year for the most part when he had to start because of injuries. 

Callahan I just heard about this year but I don’t follow the Bears that closely. I also thought he was more of their slot CB.

I think Amos has been a little more up and down than that, but he's been really good for the better part of the last two years. 2 years ago he was benched, and last year they went out and signed Demps so that they didn't have to start Amos - he was on the bench until Demps got hurt in week 3 or 4 or whatever it was. Granted, once he got the job back he was awesome, and has now been really good for about the last almost 2 years. But there was a hiccup in there. You can make the argument on whether or not his play continues without Eddie Jackson and the rest of that bears defense next to him - particularly jackson. I think that's a valid concern, but honestly, my biggest issue is that h'es never struck me as a play maker. That may be more or less an old opinion of him, truthfully I don't know. Maybe he's getting better in that regard. But I just really want someone who makes plays back there. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Amos has been a little more up and down than that, but he's been really good for the better part of the last two years. 2 years ago he was benched, and last year they went out and signed Demps so that they didn't have to start Amos - he was on the bench until Demps got hurt in week 3 or 4 or whatever it was. Granted, once he got the job back he was awesome, and has now been really good for about the last almost 2 years. But there was a hiccup in there. You can make the argument on whether or not his play continues without Eddie Jackson and the rest of that bears defense next to him - particularly jackson. I think that's a valid concern, but honestly, my biggest issue is that h'es never struck me as a play maker. That may be more or less an old opinion of him, truthfully I don't know. Maybe he's getting better in that regard. But I just really want someone who makes plays back there. 

I seem to remember something like that as well @Forge in regards to his career progression but everything I’ve read or found on him for the past two years sounds like he is an up and comer. Physical, good in coverage, active in all stages of the game and a smart player. Found a PFF stat where through week 10 of this year him and Derwin James led the NFL in yardage per reception and finished out the season graded at 82 point something, #8 in the NFL at safety. As far as play making goes he’s had 18 PBUs (9 this past season which was the top if not near the top in the NFL for safeties), 3 INTs (2 this past season), 2 FF, 3 FR, 14 TFLs and 2 sacks so he’s not unfamiliar with the mythical turnover and would seem he’s in position to be able to capatalize when the opportunity presents itself which should lead to more TOs in the future.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kittle 2nd team all pro

Should get the first team all pro nod from PFF (I think they largely just go by their rankings)

The only reason Kelce got 1st team and Kittle got 2nd team is their team's records. Looking at the context of their stats and the fact that Kittle broken an all-time record, Kittle, without a doubt, deserves 1st team. 

PFF has been on Kittle's junk all season and loving everything he does even down to his blocking. I know PFF is flawed, but I really appreciate how detailed their ratings are and I love how they look past the mainstream bs and hype for some guys. It's not a popularity vote with them.

19 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The only reason Kelce got 1st team and Kittle got 2nd team is their team's records. Looking at the context of their stats and the fact that Kittle broken an all-time record, Kittle, without a doubt, deserves 1st team. 

PFF has been on Kittle's junk all season and loving everything he does even down to his blocking. I know PFF is flawed, but I really appreciate how detailed their ratings are and I love how they look past the mainstream bs and hype for some guys. It's not a popularity vote with them.

Think the TD numbers play a big part too. Kittle only has 5 compared to Kelce's 10. Kelce and Kittle both had incredible seasons and both really deserve 1st team but since there is only one spot you have to choose and i think both have just as strong a argument.