Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

21 minutes ago, Ataal said:

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/21/nick-mullens-leads-nfl-in-passing-yards-since-week-13/?fbclid=IwAR3oFHVAXy7lAdvlImkh44PvjK815YOh-9S4HwqzBf2PRr9sPE2zc5uatm4

"Despite playing the Seattle Seahawks twice and the Denver Broncos in that three-week span, Mullens has thrown for more yards than any other NFL quarterback. Mullens has posted 1,021 yards since Week 13. Tom Brady is second at 948 yards, and Patrick Mahomes is third with 915 yards."

Pretty sure Kittle is a big reason for that, but I thought this was interesting.  

Shanahan is a master at work. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Forge said:

He really is

I called him a magician, he gets the defense's eyes looking one way then the ball goes the other way. Just like a magician who makes something disappear then reappear in the endzone. Lol

This is the reason why we need to be defense heavy this draft, our offense can and will score points with inferior talent, as long as the OL can continue to play well. 

• Like 5

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/122237-deforest-buckner-defends-robert-saleh-been-falling-sword/

"Going throughout the season, the season hasn't been going the way we wanted it to," Buckner said on the "Fitz & Brooks" show. "Saleh has been getting a lot of adversity being the [defensive] coordinator, getting a lot of heat. He's been falling on that sword for us, backing the defense up."

Thought this was a good read.  Does this change anyone's opinion of Saleh?

Edited by Ataal
Saved too quickly.

41 minutes ago, Ataal said:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/122237-deforest-buckner-defends-robert-saleh-been-falling-sword/

"Going throughout the season, the season hasn't been going the way we wanted it to," Buckner said on the "Fitz & Brooks" show. "Saleh has been getting a lot of adversity being the [defensive] coordinator, getting a lot of heat. He's been falling on that sword for us, backing the defense up."

I mean our defense the last three games has been very solid. The guys definitely play hard for Saleh but we have way too many breakdowns and Saleh is too stubborn to adjust. But at this point it should be accepted that he will be returning as our DC. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean our defense the last three games has been very solid. The guys definitely play hard for Saleh but we have way too many breakdowns and Saleh is too stubborn to adjust. But at this point it should be accepted that he will be returning as our DC. 

Can't disagree with that.  I have been pretty hard on Saleh, as others have.  And, maybe Buckner is just saying what he's supposed to say to the public.

I'm not opposed to seeing what he can do with a more talented roster.  Assuming we can get an edge rusher and fill other holes, of course.  

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

He's not the first. Sherman has come to salehs defense several times as well, laying the blame on the defense. As fans, we should also see when the defense is to blame. Like the undisciplined play Colbert made against the cards. He should have had the deep zone, freelanced because he thought Fitz was getting the pass, and boom, 75 yard Kirk TD. 

Saleh is flawed, also young. He can get better. His scheme is simple and basic, that is actually supposed to be the appeal. I do have issues with game planning, lack of adjustments, his rotations and placements, but not everything is his fault, that's for sure. I'm also one who doesn't put the lack of progression off some guys on him either. I've accepted he will be back, but its not the worst thing ever, I think. Maybe it'll work much better when we have that edge, or just some better players overall. Lots of youth and lack of discipline

At this point we are hoping for progression from all of our young guys, Saleh included. I think this season was pretty hard on everyone in the building, and I think/hope there will be a lot of self reflection in the off-season. 

Thinking back to our dominant defenses, I wish we had Patrick Willis on our roster right now. He was such a force in the middle and he was just such an amazing individual off the field as well. 

We should bring him in as a coach of some kind, if he is willing 

At this point we are hoping for progression from all of our young guys, Saleh included. I think this season was pretty hard on everyone in the building, and I think/hope there will be a lot of self reflection in the off-season. 

Thinking back to our dominant defenses, I wish we had Patrick Willis on our roster right now. He was such a force in the middle and he was just such an amazing individual off the field as well. 

We should bring him in as a coach of some kind, if he is willing 

It looks like tight end Travis Kelce decided to extend his holiday spirit to at least one player outside the Kansas City Chiefs locker room.

Kelce gave the quarterbacks and tight ends on the Chiefs roster Versace robes for Christmas, which carry a retail cost of well over $500. He apparently shipped something a bit more unique to San Francisco 49ers tight end George Kittle -- an autographed game jersey complete with a personalized message.

Pretty cool for him to randomly do that

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

As we all expected. I'm neither surprised, or disappointed. I get it. I do agree with Shanny that there may be a good defensive coordinator in there (Saleh is young and inexperienced), and I don't mind giving him a shot with a superior roster. Hopefully he learns some things (please stop playing with a 7 yard cushion on 3rd and 4, thanks), but his career thus far has largely been up and down, not bad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

As we all expected. I'm neither surprised, or disappointed. I get it. I do agree with Shanny that there may be a good defensive coordinator in there (Saleh is young and inexperienced), and I don't mind giving him a shot with a superior roster. Hopefully he learns some things (please stop playing with a 7 yard cushion on 3rd and 4, thanks), but his career thus far has largely been up and down, not bad. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in an experienced position coach who could unofficially be a co-DC. For the time being, I feel like our best defensive coach is Richard Sherman.

• Like 1