Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

25 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I did forget Keenum. I will admit he was an interesting option given the success he had this year but you can't say you'd easily take the other 2 because their injured past or current status is too tough. Also there is no chance we can get Rosen or Darnold plus probably Mayfield too given they all likely go way higher than our 1st/2nd and next 1st or 2nd would cost

Bortles played better in the post season than Keenum. I don't think much separates these two honestly, may as well keep who you're familiar with. I hope that the Vikes don't give a similar contract to Keenum, would be a mistake.

12 hours ago, Malik said:

Why not just exercise the 5 year option instead of extending him if you're still looking for a QB? In fact, why not just let him test free agency and then try to sign him for a deal. Do they really think another team would have bid heavily on Bortles?

That's a risky game to play though. I mean we could come out empty-handed all together or be forced to draft/trade up for someone or go with some guy even worse than Bortles

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

Thread should be used as an example of why fans aren't running the show. The Jaguars were unlikely to land Cousins and they have the 29th draft pick. Meaning they will get non of the named QB's like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Jackson. So even if they draft a QB it will be just as much a reach as seeing if Blake can continue to develop. People need to chill. What did you want, not hold onto Blake and bet the farm on a reach? At least you know you can make the AFCCG and have a shot with Blake if you keep things intact. 

This...so much this. Bet the farm on a rookie or role with someone that should improve and helped get us to the AFCCG already. I really dont think all this back and forth going on in here is so much about that we just love Blake and think we got some incredible steal with this contract or that he will be a Top-10 QB this year but we aren't getting Cousins or Brees. I bet they did their due diligence with Cousins/Brees to see what it might take and decided it either wasn't worth it or he was never going to come here. The other guys except for Keenum who has his own questions aren't exactly these slam dunk upgrades that some make them out to be either. 

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Funny that some are trying to spin this as “well he’s only making 7.5M more guaranteed, but now over a 2/3 year period instead of 1”, as if the other money in the 54M won’t count against the cap if Bortles is on the roster. 

That said, I get their move. They’re not in position to draft an immediate, likely upgrade. Cousins is obviously a huge step forward but he’ll cost more than he’s probably worth and you’ll also be on the hook for more seasons with him. I imagine they want the flexibility to keep/extend some a lot of the players on their roster.

Bortles is...well, Bortles. But he showed that he was able to string together some of his ability last season. I guess they hope he can do it more consistently then. 

My one gripe is that I would’ve looked to Keenum/Foles instead (even Bridgewater I’d have wanted more), but they’re playing the safe card here and are essentially saying that, even worst case scenario, we’ll ride with our bleh QB and let this defense carry us. They got to the AFCCG with the defense, run game, and the inconsistency of Blake. Don’t blame them for wanting another shot before making a major switch.

Bridgewater is too risky but i am curious to see what Keenum gets and what Foles costs in a trade/extension. Minnesota will obviously keep 1 or 2 of those QBs though right?

In the last twelve weeks of the season, minus fake punts and Bortles rushing yards, the run game averaged 3.3 YPC. So we can throw out that the Jags run game carried Bortles this past season.

At one point he was throwing to 3 rookie WR’s and playing the best ball of his career.

Being in Hackett’s system another year will only help Blake.

They should bring A-Rob back, they will upgrade the TE position and the O-Line this off-season. They’re going to continue to build around him and give him the best chances to succeed.

Only 26.5 guaranteed is cheap.....

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

20 of the 26.5 is guaranteed year 1. 

So if they were to move on after next year, they’d only have to eat 6.5.

Not sure how 20M can be guaranteed in year one if the year one cap hit is only 10M.

I do think that 26.5M overall guaranteed is getting off pretty cheap for a 3 year QB contract. 

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Right and we have Josh Lambo....soooooo we're good right? 

?  

Before resigning him I would have liked to see them go after Cousins/McCarron.  It isn't like they couldn’t resign him next week.  I understand they are making sure they at least have something in place, but would have liked to see them try another route first.

Archived