Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

I'm not upset about this. I'm assuming that the third year will only actually happen if Bortles is a competent quarterback, but tying them up at QB with Bortles for the next couple years while they still have plenty of cap space and talented players on rookie deals makes me happy. Too much talent on the roster to be drafting early enough to get a top QB and, by the time they can move on from Bortles, they're going to have enough homegrown players up for extensions that it may be tough to sign a free agent QB if another solid one ever becomes available.

With that said, it's obviously not impossible that Bortles can be Trent Dilfer long enough for that defense to carry them to a ring.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

And I will point back to my post on the first page. Way too much overreaction going on in this thread. They were stuck with Bortles for this season regardless - all they are essentially doing is trying to lessen the cap load by spreading it out some. 

Just now, Forge said:

And I will point back to my post on the first page. Way too much overreaction going on in this thread. They were stuck with Bortles for this season regardless - all they are essentially doing is trying to lessen the cap load by spreading it out some. 

It's Blake Bortles. Whenever his name is mentioned this happens. Same ole, same ole.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I'm not upset about this. I'm assuming that the third year will only actually happen if Bortles is a competent quarterback, but tying them up at QB with Bortles for the next couple years while they still have plenty of cap space and talented players on rookie deals makes me happy. Too much talent on the roster to be drafting early enough to get a top QB and, by the time they can move on from Bortles, they're going to have enough homegrown players up for extensions that it may be tough to sign a free agent QB if another solid one ever becomes available.

With that said, it's obviously not impossible that Bortles can be Trent Dilfer long enough for that defense to carry them to a ring.

its not impossible For him to turn into a good QB just like Alex smith did. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

its not impossible For him to turn into a good QB just like Alex smith did. 

It's definitely not impossible for him to turn into an Alex Smith type of quarterback. But, as a Titans fan, I'd rather take that chance than see Kirk Cousins in Jacksonville.

In defense of the Jaguars, they were EXTREMELY unlikely to land Cousins, and none of the other free agent QBs are necessarily NOTABLE upgrades over Bortles (maybe Bradford, but you cant trust him to stay healthy at all).

That being said, I think the Jags should perhaps attempt to draft a QB early, if for no other reason than to push Bortles the same way the Chargers did with Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers back in 2004.      I sure as hell wouldnt move forward with complete trust in Brotles.   You have to find a way to push him and have a backup plan.    The team around him is too good to just blindly trust him because he played well at times last year.

Archived