Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, BigD88 said:

4 years?  Don't you mean 12?

He's definitely a gold member in the "Chris Leak" impact...guys who had a promising freshman season and then never got better, and who everyone else feels like was in college for a decade.

Others include:

*Aaron Craft (OSU Basketball)

*Cyrus Jones, who was a DB at Alabama for 17 years

...the list goes on.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's definitely a gold member in the "Chris Leak" impact...guys who had a promising freshman season and then never got better, and who everyone else feels like was in college for a decade.

Others include:

*Aaron Craft (OSU Basketball)

*Cyrus Jones, who was a DB at Alabama for 17 years

...the list goes on.

I've wanted to draft Skai Moore since 2005.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

I've wanted to draft Skai Moore since 2005.

I legit LOL'd.

The above club is an absolute thing BTW. A coaching buddy of mine sat down one day and made a list of about 15-20 names. Dontre Wilson was OBVIOUSLY on the list at the time.

19 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Agents play a major role in the draft process, much bigger than the draft community realizes

Not to mention that unless the player is majorly amenable to just signing whatever is put in front of him in good faith, a lack of understanding of the contracting process or of dealing with contracts and their structure in general could severely slow the signing process as they gain that familiarity and comfort.  And when you're talking about QB's in particular, team's want them in the building and on the practice field ASAP.

Also, as I'm sure you were alluding to in your post, agents usually front a fair amount of money for their clients that is used in the draft process to pay trainers/coaches and other such stuffs (on-field as well as interview).  Agents, and more importantly agencies, also have whole staffs working for them, that's more people to do the minutia work like coordinating and scheduling flights/hotels for private workouts and the like.

I think when looking at why there may be the concern, it's also a case of not just familiarity (all teams have relationships in some capacity with all talent agencies), but also of specifically who Lamar has representing him if not an agent.  His mother has been steering his football career since he was 8.  Now I'm not saying that she is or even if she is that it automatically makes it a bad thing, but Felicia Jones' situation gives off a massive odor of Show Parent (the parent who was an performer/singer/actor or in this case athlete herself who never quite made it or got their big break so they're bound and determined to steer their child to getting that break they didn't by hook or crook).

Worthwhile read on her: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17949555/louisville-cardinals-quarterback-lamar-jackson-first-trainer-was-mother

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I legit LOL'd.

The above club is an absolute thing BTW. A coaching buddy of mine sat down one day and made a list of about 15-20 names. Dontre Wilson was OBVIOUSLY on the list at the time.

Jess Settles at Iowa (bb) was legit playing for Iowa before my freshman year of hs and played his last game 2 years after i graduated.  He had 3 senior seasons.  For. Real.

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You don't have to: Robert Griffin III.

You don't have to: Peyton and Eli Manning.

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

It’s pretty unusual, the majority of team meetings and interviews flow through agents. Right now, teams have to deal with Lamar and his mother.

Sounds like a smart kid to me. Why let an agent take 10% when your rookie salary is set by a scale?

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

Not to mention that unless the player is majorly amenable to just signing whatever is put in front of him in good faith, a lack of understanding of the contracting process or of dealing with contracts and their structure in general could severely slow the signing process as they gain that familiarity and comfort.  And when you're talking about QB's in particular, team's want them in the building and on the practice field ASAP.

Also, as I'm sure you were alluding to in your post, agents usually front a fair amount of money for their clients that is used in the draft process to pay trainers/coaches and other such stuffs (on-field as well as interview).  Agents, and more importantly agencies, also have whole staffs working for them, that's more people to do the minutia work like coordinating and scheduling flights/hotels for private workouts and the like.

I think when looking at why there may be the concern, it's also a case of not just familiarity (all teams have relationships in some capacity with all talent agencies), but also of specifically who Lamar has representing him if not an agent.  His mother has been steering his football career since he was 8.  Now I'm not saying that she is or even if she is that it automatically makes it a bad thing, but Felicia Jones' situation gives off a massive odor of Show Parent (the parent who was an performer/singer/actor or in this case athlete herself who never quite made it or got their big break so they're bound and determined to steer their child to getting that break they didn't by hook or crook).

Worthwhile read on her: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17949555/louisville-cardinals-quarterback-lamar-jackson-first-trainer-was-mother

Just a hire a lawyer for a set fee. You pay the lawyer a few thousands bucks to help you deal with the contract, and you don't pay an agent hundreds of thousands to millions of bucks to do nothing.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Can't tell if disingenuous or legit can't tell the difference between Archie Manning and Felicia.

It's 100% legitimate. Archie controlled the draft process for both brothers as their parent. You don't know Felicia. You don't know her capabilities. So let's not assume that Archie was capable while she is not. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's 100% legitimate. Archie controlled the draft process for both brothers as their parent. You don't know Felicia. You don't know her capabilities. So let's not assume that Archie was capable while she is not. 

One played the position and did the job his sons were going to be drafted to do. It's safe to assume Archie Manning is much more qualified to advise his sons on football decisions than Felicia is to advise hers.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

One played the position and did the job his sons were going to be drafted to do. It's safe to assume Archie Manning is much more qualified to advise his sons on football decisions than Felicia is to advise hers.

Ridiculous. You can't claim that it's a problem if the parent is involved and then start making exceptions for successful players. You either have an issue with parents "meddling," or you don't. 

How great would it be if Felicia seduced Roger Goodell and got him to cut all kinds of shady deals to benefit Lamar. That dopey no soul look on Roger's face as he's explaining why all the money from fines is going towards the 'Felicia's Friends' charitable foundation.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Ridiculous. You can't claim that it's a problem if the parent is involved and then start making exceptions for successful players. You either have an issue with parents "meddling," or you don't. 

You're intentionally misrepresenting my original claim and creating a strict binary where there's not one. My original claim:

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You also have to consider how family over-involvement tends to be a bad thing for both player and team.

Your exception when public family meddling wasn't an explicit problem happens to involve a father who was a starting quarterback in the NFL. If you can't see the significance of that distinction, then there's no need to discuss further.

By the way I was and am against Archie meddling as much as he did in Eli's pre-draft process.

Archived