2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

32 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Yeah they use a stop watch but if the times of the runs are really that far off then the average is going to be the only one that matters because one of them could easily be an outlier.

But the 40 itself is mostly a test of "how fast can you be under ideal conditions" (indoors, good footing straight line, no pads, etc.) so I don't think "throwing out outliers" is appropriate.

If multiple people have him at around a given number for one run, he ran about that fast at least once.  Whatever inconsistencies in a guy's game are things best left for tape evals.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Not even close. If Sweat was completely healthy he wouldn't be getting top 10 buzz. He's too inconsistent when he's on the field and appears disinterested and lazy too often. Most DL take plays off, but he's either terrible or lazier than most of the DE's that go in the first few rounds. He's going to get bumped into the 2nd round right now based on pure upside, but he's been a disappointment on the field for Florida State. There were games where he was completely invisible against trash OT's.

I watch Sweat and I see Aaron Lynch.  The good and the bad.  The problem is the bad outweighs the good for me.

Just now, The LBC said:

VDE... LVE... This is why I generally hate using acronyms, because I always screw them up.

haha I hate them too, was just curious, I haven't really been following so I wasn't even positive if you were talking about a linebacker. He is a beast though, he just needs to work on his pass rush moves. 

10 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Harold Landry 6.88 3-cone ?

Taven Bryan 7.12 3-cone ?

Landry also put up a 4.19 shuttle and 36' vert and 9'11 broad.   Jesus murphy.

As a contrast, Key put up a 4.25 shuttle (really good), 31' vert, 9'9 broad, and a 7.16 3-cone.  Nothing to sneeze at, but Landry certainly made the case he's clearly a better athlete than Key.   

Meanwhile, Chubb puts up a 36' vert, 10'1 broad, 4.41 shuttle and 7.37 3-cone.  Only the 3-cone is somewhat disappointing.  Overall he put up Clowney numbers.   Dear lord.

Davenport was no slouch either, putting up a 33.5 vert, 10'4 broad, 4.43 shuttle and 7.20 3-cone.   Given he's the most raw of the 4, I expect he'll be ahead of Key now, but behind Landry.

Given that Chubb was the consensus top guy, he keeps that for sure with his Clowney performance.   Landry certainly can make a case for being #2, while I think now the Q becomes if teams take Davenport over Key or vice-versa.   And of course where Sweat fits in (but fairly concerning medical issues, I don't think he's in the convo higher than #5 EDGE).

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Landry also put up a 4.19 shuttle and 36' vert and 9'11 broad.   Jesus murphy.

As a contrast, Key put up a 4.25 shuttle (really good), 31' vert, 9'9 broad, and a 7.16 3-cone.  Nothing to sneeze at, but Landry certainly made the case he's clearly a better athlete than Key.   

Meanwhile, Chubb puts up a 36' vert, 10'1 broad, 4.41 shuttle and 7.37 3-cone.  Only the 3-cone is somewhat disappointing.  Overall he put up Clowney numbers.   Dear lord.

And I wouldn't worry about Chubb's "less-than-preferable" 3-cone because, like Clowney, he's shown he can cross the blocker's face effectively' so whether it shows up on the stopwatch or not, he's shown he translates the necessary athleticism to the field where and when it counts.  Handwork can mitigate a lot more than people want to give it credit for edge guys.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

And I wouldn't worry about Chubb's "less-than-preferable" 3-cone because, like Clowney, he's shown he can cross the blocker's face effectively' so whether it shows up on the stopwatch or not, he's shown he translates the necessary athleticism to the field where and when it counts.  Handwork can mitigate a lot more than people want to give it credit for edge guys.

Yeah, the 3-cone isn't as definitive for EDGE/DL, for sure.  I have to admit I'm shocked we're seeing this from him - Chubb's film didn't hint at this level of athleticism, nothing to sneeze at, but the Shaq Lawson / Derek Barnett / Chris Long comps he was getting were clearly off.  He belongs in the upper tier convo of athleticism, which changes his stock considerably.

47 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I disagree. He's well put together, strong at the POA, does well against the run, and he does provide pass rush ability. He's a much better athlete then what he's put on tape. I think he's a top 40 pick no matter what. If his medicals check out he's a fine top 32 choice whether it's 4-3 DE or 3-4 RLB

EDIT: Miami biases.

Yep. So biased that I have Derwin James as the #4 rated player in this class. So biased that in my last mock for my brownies, I had us taking Derwin James, Tarvarus McFadden, and Matthew Thomas along with 0 Miami players.

I don't care where you went to school if you're good. Josh Sweat hasn't put it together in college yet. He hasn't even put together a dominating performance in any game in his college career. But now he's a top 32 pick because he ran well? Who didn't think he was going to time well? Before today nobody had him going in the 1st round. Magically now he's a top 32 choice though. Cool.

Archived