2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Tim Settle is a 330-pounder. Him not posting great numbers is understandable. Key not doing it is a problem with all of the other red flags in his background. Nobody doubts his talent, but I'm not taking a chance on his character.

At 238 that vert is so damning when combined with his other drill numbers - all nowhere near elite.   I could see him fall into Rd3 TBH with so many amazing performances from other EDGE guys.   His off the field history (which at least he addressed well apparently in interviews) about desire / motivation were enough to raise Q now the  doubts are going to explode.   

If he had no other concerns I could see him stem the fall but man I dunno.  It wasn’t like he was seen as a clean candidate before.  

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

On a side note, I’ve never been so impressed with combine numbers as I have been this year, at least based on my initial expectations.

Id have never guessed so many of these guys were as freaky as they are.

You support my claim to why I say the combine matters, because you are somewhat of a believer.

4 minutes ago, Shylo3716 said:

You support my claim to why I say the combine matters, because you are somewhat of a believer.

Of course it matters, they wouldn’t do it if it didn’t, but what it means and how much it means varies depending on the player and position.

For example there is nothing a QB is going to show me in shorts and a tee shirt that is going to move the needle even a bit.

For other positions, such as DE, OLB, etc where athleticism is key, testing well is important.

Folks have a habit of taking the significance too far though.  I’m not going to forget about 3-4 years of actual game film just because a guy is a freak.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course it matters, they wouldn’t do it if it didn’t, but what it means and how much it means varies depending on the player and position.

For example there is nothing a QB is going to show me in shorts and a tee shirt that is going to move the needle even a bit.

For other positions, such as DE, OLB, etc where athleticism is key, testing well is important.

Folks have a habit of taking the significance too far though.  I’m not going to forget about 3-4 years of actual game film just because a guy is a freak.

Plus positions where it’s hard to see the individual’s athleticism and one on one ability either due to the nature of the position or what the team’s scheme requires from the player, the Combine certainly helps shed more light.  

Still it’s just a tool and part of the equation, not the whole equation. 

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Not concerned. His other numbers were way superior those guys, and his hand usage is relatively advanced. He's explosive and technical. He'll do just fine.

I honestly cannot say I have been too surprised by any testing to happen so far. I am absolutely mind-blown when I see people say "I didn't think Mike Gesicki was this athletic." It really makes me wonder how much people actually claim to watch.

Sam Hubbard with elite testing numbers probably the only one where you say you don't see that on tape a ton. 

11 minutes ago, reamer said:

Not concerned. His other numbers were way superior those guys, and his hand usage is relatively advanced. He's explosive and technical. He'll do just fine.

Agreed, I think it just concretes the answer to the ‘how he wins’ discussion. Chubb can dominate the edge with explosion, technique and power, which is what you see on film. The testing just shows there probably isn’t a trove of unexplored flexible athleticism to tap into, which might affect how some teams who run certain schemes view him.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

haha Tony Brown was pissed at dude for stopping his run after a great start

No idea why he stopped him. It was a good start. Then he goes and runs a 4.37 with a terrible start. The 2nd attempt was the one that should've been blown dead, his left foot dragged and he almost stepped left off of the track. 

This may be a silly question, but do the combine 40 times go on a command (whistle or verbal) or are they athletes first movement?

I know the person at the start can declare a need for a restart for various reasons.

Archived