2018 NFL Combine (measurements in OP)

goldfishwars

36 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think he ever left that discussion. I think draftniks undervalue him while NFL GM's are going to love him. He's going in the top 10 regardless of what he runs.

Agreed on James.

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ok and I'm taking the dude that locked down everyone he faced with tight man to man coverage skills, is more physical, and doesn't allow any space between he and the receiver. If you love zone coverage, go with Jackson or a multitude of other big corners that can catch. Zone is easy...and easily picked apart. Man cover corners like Ward don't come along often and when they do, they make things extremely difficult for passing games. Concepts beat elite zone coverage. Nothing beats elite man coverage.

Well, great QB and WR play beat elite man coverage.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree. I hate Yiadom. Everybody talks about him, but he's kinda like a slower rich man's Trumaine Johnson.

So you love Yiadom? Because Trumaine is a top 15 CB on the NFL, and you just called him a rich man's version of Tru.

Just now, jrry32 said:

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ok and I'm taking the dude that locked down everyone he faced with tight man to man coverage skills, is more physical, and doesn't allow any space between he and the receiver. If you love zone coverage, go with Jackson or a multitude of other big corners that can catch. Zone is easy...and easily picked apart. Man cover corners like Ward don't come along often and when they do, they make things extremely difficult for passing games. Concepts beat elite zone coverage. Nothing beats elite man coverage.

Well, great QB and WR play beat elite man coverage.

If the QB throws the ball with unbelievable precision, he can beat man. When a WR is blanketed by great coverage, it's very rare that completions occur. You can blanket a WR in zone and it doesn't matter. There will be someone else open conceptually regardless of how well you did your job in zone. 100% of NFL QB's would rather face a great zone cover team than a great man coverage team I'm willing to bet.

Just now, jrry32 said:
18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree. I hate Yiadom. Everybody talks about him, but he's kinda like a slower rich man's Trumaine Johnson.

So you love Yiadom? Because Trumaine is a top 15 CB on the NFL, and you just called him a rich man's version of Tru.

I've never seen Yiadom play actually. Like a full sit down and scout him. I was just being a ****** and said the exact opposite of what another poster said because I'm so snarky and cool.

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Josh

Can't imagine him falling very far. The lowest I could see him going is Arizona (barring an ARI trade up for a QB). He's a very good player, but he's not leaping Denzel Ward as a prospect.

Since Chicago plays a ton of zone, I guess they could justify taking him at #8 but that'd be a mistake to me. Ward is a good zone player too, he's just not nearly as big as Jackson.

The reason Ward>>>>>>Jackson is because Ward craps all over Jackson in terms of footwork, athleticism, and man coverage ability.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Can't imagine him falling very far. The lowest I could see him going is Arizona (barring an ARI trade up for a QB). He's a very good player, but he's not leaping Denzel Ward as a prospect.

Since Chicago plays a ton of zone, I guess they could justify taking him at #8 but that'd be a mistake to me. Ward is a good zone player too, he's just not nearly as big as Jackson.

The reason Ward>>>>>>Jackson is because Ward craps all over Jackson in terms of footwork, athleticism, and man coverage ability.

Ward actually has really good instincts in the zone but absolutely not the length, Jackson in the zone especially with a team like the Bears, he could a Peanut Tillman type of corner.

51 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He shut down everyone he faced but how often was that the opponents top guy?  Go back to the tape against Indiana from this year. Simmie Cobb was a one man show out there and OSU only switched Ward onto him for part of one drive. On that one drive Cobb was targeted 3 times, had 1 catch for ~12 yards and a touchdown. 

After that drive Ward went back over to the other side and OSU switched to doubling Cobb. It makes me wonder why OSU wasn’t willing to give Ward more time 1 on 1 versus him. 

Just now, winitall said:

He shut down everyone he faced but how often was that the opponents top guy?  Go back to the tape against Indiana from this year. Simmie Cobb was a one man show out there and OSU only switched Ward onto him for part of one drive. On that one drive Cobb was targeted 3 times, had 1 catch for ~12 yards and a touchdown. 

After that drive Ward went back over to the other side and OSU switched to doubling Cobb. It makes me wonder why OSU wasn’t willing to give Ward more time 1 on 1 versus him. 

I live in Cleveland and watched every OSU game this season except maybe 1-2. I don't remember any game outside of that one where he didn't cover the opposition's best outside WR. He locked down some very good players this year. Cobbs was a giant and putting a small corner on him seemed like a bad idea. Turns out the only way OSU was able to slow him down was to put Ward on him eventually.

I'm not concerned. Ohio State didn't try to hide Denzel Ward.

Archived