Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

None of it is known to be true, its just a bunch of innuendo and speculation among the agent community and their media partners

The Packers don't talk publicly about ongoing negotiations and Rodgers and his agent have nothing to gain by leaking that alleged info (with no sources cited)

Pretty sure AR wants to win more Titles and he certainly understands his role in getting there - both on the field and in balancing his cap hit

R-E-L-A-X

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Give the guy an escalator clause that always pays him $1 more than the highest paid QB.

All that does is allow other teams to screw GB in terms of cap situation.  Imagine if Rodgers had that contract currently....SF could have just crippled GB for the 2018 season

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

All I'm gonna say on the injuries is that Aaron's play style makes him more prone to injuries than other quarterbacks in the 33-40 territory.  It's another reason he shouldn't be considered for anything other than the most money ever.  He doesn't deserve a cap-tied contract or any kind of groundbreaking deal (personnel decisions, cap percentage, etc.).  I think anybody who doesn't hate me could agree that his play style DOES make him more prone to injury than others, and that is something that has to be taken into account.

You're right but also citing a catch 22. The Packers are going to go to Aaron and say "we're not paying you as much because the chances you take that others QBs don't make you a bigger risk for injury." Aaron comes right back and says "I deserve more than those QBs because I make plays that other QBs won't by taking those calculated risks."

You want Aaron to play that way but you don't want to pay him because he plays that way.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You want Aaron to play that way but you don't want to pay him because he plays that way.

Speak for yourself.  I don't want Aaron to play that way.  If he stopped trying to turn every play into 20 yards and instead ran an actual offense, we'd be better than we've been the past 4 years. 

I do not like his play style.  It won't age well, and if he doesn't start changing it soon, neither will he. 

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Speak for yourself.  I don't want Aaron to play that way.  If he stopped trying to turn every play into 20 yards and instead ran an actual offense, we'd be better than we've been the past 4 years. 

I do not like his play style.  It won't age well, and if he doesn't start changing it soon, neither will he. 

Safe to say you're alone. If he was actually dangerous in his decision making I'd agree. However the ability to keep a play alive, buy another 5 seconds and still be able to tuck it for 3 yards or throw it away is unbelievably rare. He's the poker player that has a ton of chips in the pot but doesn't feel he has to go all in if he's not going to win the hand. So rare. How many QBs do you see that feel because they bought 7 seconds of time have to come away with a big play?

The big chunks plus the scrambles outweigh the 4 yard dump to Montgomery by a landslide to me.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You’re eleventy pages into the argument and there’s no football in sight for a few weeks, so I get it.  But, c’mon, man.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You are right HZ.  I place the blame squarely on Edgar Bennett who was inept as an OC.  If you are unable to scheme your opponent well then left with sandlot football.  With Philbin back in the fold hopefully we'll get back to a true west coast offense.  Pass in rhythm and scheme receivers open.  It's great that Aaron can improvise but that shouldn't be every fricken play.  Bennett sucked period.  I do think it was completely boneheaded for MM to make him offensive coordinator.  Hopefully things will change this year.  Looking for a much more explosive offense however we are really really young at WR.  Worst group coming into the season that I can ever remember.  It is going to take some time to get the young rooks up to speed.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

You are right HZ.  I place the blame squarely on Edgar Bennett who was inept as an OC.  If you are unable to scheme your opponent well then left with sandlot football.  With Philbin back in the fold hopefully we'll get back to a true west coast offense.  Pass in rhythm and scheme receivers open.  It's great that Aaron can improvise but that shouldn't be every fricken play.  Bennett sucked period.  I do think it was completely boneheaded for MM to make him offensive coordinator.  Hopefully things will change this year.  Looking for a much more explosive offense however we are really really young at WR.  Worst group coming into the season that I can ever remember.  It is going to take some time to get the young rooks up to speed.  

I'm not sure how much of that (if any) was Bennett's fault, as the offensive scheme is devised by a group of coaches, with McCarthy in charge. But I've hated all of that sandlot football for the past two years. And exchanging Bennett for Philbin sounds very good to me. 

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Safe to say you're alone. If he was actually dangerous in his decision making I'd agree. However the ability to keep a play alive, buy another 5 seconds and still be able to tuck it for 3 yards or throw it away is unbelievably rare. He's the poker player that has a ton of chips in the pot but doesn't feel he has to go all in if he's not going to win the hand. So rare. How many QBs do you see that feel because they bought 7 seconds of time have to come away with a big play?

The big chunks plus the scrambles outweigh the 4 yard dump to Montgomery by a landslide to me.

Put me in the camp of Rodgers needing to adjust his playstyle to ensure his longevity.  Taking the dump off should be used more as a weapon in the offense.

Is that more a function of MM preaching big plays or Rodgers being greedy?

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Put me in the camp of Rodgers needing to adjust his playstyle to ensure his longevity.  Taking the dump off should be used more as a weapon in the offense.

We've seen this dynamic in action and its consequences not too long ago.

His name is Tony Romo.....and he calls a good game....from the broadcast booth.

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

Is that more a function of MM preaching big plays or Rodgers being greedy?

It's a function of him being the greatest physical talent at QB in our generation.

We'll cross this bridge when he's 38, for now, keep on keeping on Aaron. I don't see any increased risk with him getting hit outside the pocket unless someone gets cheap on him like Barr. Usually he's leaving there to avoid a hit anyway.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

We've seen this dynamic in action and its consequences not too long ago.

His name is Tony Romo.....and he calls a good game....from the broadcast booth.

It's also called Tom Brady and the most successful QB career of all time

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Put me in the camp of Rodgers needing to adjust his playstyle to ensure his longevity. 

The game always evolves - for Rodgers and those who aim to shut him down. Early in his career, DCs threw blitzes at the young QB. But Rodgers adjusted and made them pay dearly. Then DC's went to more of a coverage aspect- just hem him in and don't let him leave the pocket. But Rodgers adjusted and learned how to move deftly up and back in the pocket to buy more time. And now the DCs have adjusted one more time and while they still want to hem in in, they're sending delayed blitzes from speedy LBs and corners. Rodgers will have to adjust again, as the cat and mouse continues.

But I don't think I'd saddle him with any declarations about how to play, I'd just give him options and let one of the smartest and quick-witted QBs to ever play the game work it out. When the Eagles implored McNabb to run less, it was a drain on his mental decision-making between what his instincts were and what the coaches were begging him to do. He struggled as a result of it

Rodgers surely ain't McNabb - but I wanna let Aaron play his game without worrying unnecessarily about injury risk. He'll figure it out, he doesn't want to get injured just as much as we don't want him to get injured.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The game always evolves - for Rodgers and those who aim to shut him down. Early in his career, DCs threw blitzes at the young QB. But Rodgers adjusted and made them pay dearly. Then DC's went to more of a coverage aspect- just hem him in and don't let him leave the pocket. But Rodgers adjusted and learned how to move deftly up and back in the pocket to buy more time. And now the DCs have adjusted one more time and while they still want to hem in in, they're sending delayed blitzes from speedy LBs and corners. Rodgers will have to adjust again, as the cat and mouse continues.

But I don't think I'd saddle him with any declarations about how to play, I'd just give him options and let one of the smartest and quick-witted QBs to ever play the game work it out. When the Eagles implored McNabb to run less, it was a drain on his mental decision-making between what his instincts were and what the coaches were begging him to do. He struggled as a result of it

Rodgers surely ain't McNabb - but I wanna let Aaron play his game without worrying unnecessarily about injury risk. He'll figure it out, he doesn't want to get injured just as much as we don't want him to get injured.

Agreed. I don't think Rodgers is any more of an injury risk than most QBs anyway. In ten years as a starter, he's missed two half-seasons with broken collarbones, and aside from that he's only missed one game due to injury, which was for a concussion. That doesn't seem excessive to me. QBs who aren't mobile get injured too. 

Archived