Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

I don't know why it's so laughable.  The Jaguars haven't had a good QB since... Brunell? 

Bad coaches lead to bad quarterbacks.  Bortles has had three consecutive 3,600 passing yard seasons.  He had 35 touchdowns and 4,400 yards passing in his second year.  With some really bad coaches, he managed some respectable seasons with bad, bad, bad teams.  His first year with Coughlin and the current staff he cut his interception total down to 13.  He didn't throw a single interception or lose a fumble in three playoff games.  He completed 64% of his passes for 293 yards with a touchdown against the Patriots and lost to them by 4 points in a game with some very suspicious officiating. 

Everybody laughing at me is still seeming to forget how rare it is for even okay quarterbacks to hit the open market.  Kirk Cousins has never had a 30 TD season in spite of having a better OL and better targets than Bortles and he just got paid 90 million dollars. 

Bortles - 2/3 in playoff games. 
Cousins - 4/19 against teams with a winning record, 0 playoff wins, better head coach. 

So yeah.  Again.  Not seeing what's so funny.  Sorry I'm not attached to the hive mind Rodgers worship here.  Even if Bortles was the worst QB to ever play the game, what he said is true.  You want to win Championships?  You have to make some sacrifices in the contract department. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't know why it's so laughable.  The Jaguars haven't had a good QB since... Brunell? 

Bad coaches lead to bad quarterbacks.  Bortles has had three consecutive 3,600 passing yard seasons.  He had 35 touchdowns and 4,400 yards passing in his second year.  With some really bad coaches, he managed some respectable seasons with bad, bad, bad teams.  His first year with Coughlin and the current staff he cut his interception total down to 13.  He didn't throw a single interception or lose a fumble in three playoff games.  He completed 64% of his passes for 293 yards with a touchdown against the Patriots and lost to them by 4 points in a game with some very suspicious officiating. 

Everybody laughing at me is still seeming to forget how rare it is for even okay quarterbacks to hit the open market.  Kirk Cousins has never had a 30 TD season in spite of having a better OL and better targets than Bortles and he just got paid 90 million dollars. 

Bortles - 2/3 in playoff games. 
Cousins - 4/19 against teams with a winning record, 0 playoff wins, better head coach. 

So yeah.  Again.  Not seeing what's so funny.  Sorry I'm not attached to the hive mind Rodgers worship here.  Even if Bortles was the worst QB to ever play the game, what he said is true.  You want to win Championships?  You have to make some sacrifices in the contract department. 

I agree with what he said for sure. I just don't think he is in a position where he is taking a big discount. 

Just now, JBURGE said:

I agree with what he said for sure. I just don't think he is in a position where he is taking a big discount. 

Big discount probably not, but again, based on the history of the NFL and quarterbacks hitting free agency, he probably definitely took a discount of a few million compared to what he could have gotten if he went to free agency.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:
3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Big discount probably not, but again, based on the history of the NFL and quarterbacks hitting free agency, he probably definitely took a discount of a few million compared to what he could have gotten if he went to free agency.

With his AAV of $18mm, which is about the same as Bradford and Keenum got, I kinda have a hard time seeing him get a lot more than that. But still, even if he could have gotten a few million more, he is saving the Jags a few million, or maybe 10%. Brady is making $20m a year, and there are teams that would pay him $35m I'm sure. That's just what I'm talking about. Rodgers agreeing to a $28 or $30m deal would be him taking a Bortles like discount. 

If Bortles was going to get paid $30m somewhere, then good for Blake taking the team discount. But in reality he can say Brady is a selfless as he wants, because he's right, but let's not pretend like he is making a similar sacrifice

Ohh also another 'rule' I just discovered no team has won a Super Bowl while paying a WR more than 9.2% of the cap. And a bonus 'rule' no team has won a Super Bowl while paying their TE 8.3% of the cap. It's so unfair we just talk only about the amount of cap consumed at the QB position which is restricting a team from having a competitive roster. 

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Ohh also another 'rule' I just discovered no team has won a Super Bowl while paying a WR more than 9.2% of the cap. And a bonus 'rule' no team has won a Super Bowl while paying their TE 8.3% of the cap. It's so unfair we just talk only about the amount of cap consumed at the QB position which is restricting a team from having a competitive roster. 

It's getting ''bout that time when we put these percentages and data points away and simply figure out which teams we're gonna kick....... :)

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's getting ''bout that time when we put these percentages and data points away and simply figure out which teams we're gonna kick....... :)

We'll beat whatever teams aren't paying any one player too high percentage of the cap.

What are the rules on putting post-retirement money into a contract? Or even a wink-nod agreement for it. I know Favre was offered something like 40 mil to stay retired and be an ambassador of some sort. 

Why cant we give Rodgers 5/75, fully guaranteed and then have it written into the deal that upon retirement he gets another deal of 10/125 to do x number of appearances per year. Basically gives him 200 million guaranteed, or more if he plays out the 5 years and goes another season or 2. Hell, make it 5/100 with continuous team options for 25/yr after that. All fully guaranteed. 

12 hours ago, Norm said:

We'll beat whatever teams aren't paying any one player too high percentage of the cap.

There ya go. Theres a nice season long project for you.

Track our W's-L's and cite the highest player % and position for the opposing team. Useful, real world data eh?

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Been saying this for a while, including on the radio. This is a 100% media driven story. There’s NO reason to fear losing Rodgers. CBA has us in way too good of position with the Franchise Tag. When you ha e the best player, you don’t fear using it on him. We could tag him for two years and get a bargain. So as bad of a look as that’d be, Rodgers and his agent should know that in reality, we don’t ha e to do a damn thing. 

53 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Been saying this for a while, including on the radio. This is a 100% media driven story. There’s NO reason to fear losing Rodgers. CBA has us in way too good of position with the Franchise Tag. When you ha e the best player, you don’t fear using it on him. We could tag him for two years and get a bargain. So as bad of a look as that’d be, Rodgers and his agent should know that in reality, we don’t ha e to do a damn thing. 

With the ability to screw him over with the franchise tags, there is no worry about losing him physically.  There is worry about losing him mentally and alienating him or the team though.  I think if the plan is to screw over our QB we can kiss any chance of winning a Super Bowl in the near future good bye.  I don't see any team winning a Super Bowl with a lame duck QB.  We need Aaron to worry about winning not his long term security in the NFL.  Just my 2 cents.  I don't see the franchise tags ever happening do to the damage it would do to the players opinion of the front office.  

Archived