Michael Bennet somehow traded to the Eagles. What the heck.

Kiwibrown

29 minutes ago, BABYLON 5 said:

Talking about rub some people the wrong way I didn't know people hated Michael Bennett that much lol Like I said I will take him in Oakland if he comes cheap but I won't offer him any long term deal 

I didn't either.  You'd think the guy was a murderer or was constantly breaking the law trying to harm people.

3 hours ago, BABYLON 5 said:

Talking about rub some people the wrong way I didn't know people hated Michael Bennett that much lol Like I said I will take him in Oakland if he comes cheap but I won't offer him any long term deal 

Everyone "liked" him a couple of years ago when the Seahawks were winning, he was racking up sacks, and things were good. Until more incidents started to pile up where his behavior couldn't be excused as "awww isn't that cute" anymore. 

8 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

How is he a POS?

Here's a good one. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-tirade-cancer-survivor

I also remember another incident with a reporter after the Seahawks Super Bowl loss where someone asked Bennett how shocking the loss was, and he was unnecessarily nasty by responding ""About as shocked as your wife when she saw your penis for the first time...because it's small". 

Was so hoping the reporter used a "well your mother liked it last night" crackback. Alas, it didn't happen. 

Bennett has always been a stupid clown, and screams and yells at reporters when things don't go his way. Or he starts fights on the field, and dives at people's knees. Didn't even know about the puppy incident. But of course Michael did that too. 

3 hours ago, showtime said:

I didn't either.  You'd think the guy was a murderer or was constantly breaking the law trying to harm people.

Abandons his own dog.
MULTIPLE instances of bitching out at the end of games because he's a sore loser.
Questions toughness of cancer survivor.
Demeaning treatment of reporters.
Lies about police brutality.
Compares himself to a slave when he's worth 22 million dollars.
Diving into the legs of a center during a kneel down to end the game.

He's either a crap human being or he's literally stupid and doesn't know any better. 

7 hours ago, jarren said:

Except Bennett isnt overpaid for what he brings, thats just silly. You should take a look at his salary and compare it to players around the leauge. We will not be able to find anyone who can bring what Bennett does for his salary. His deal is extremley team friendly. His 8.5 sacks last season would have been the 2nd most on the team behind Clayborn who had 9 and 6 of those came in one game. 

As for the better options. Ill give you Richardson who we cant afford but Murphy and Wilkerson?

First off Murphy cant play DT, hes had more than 4 sacks once in his career and is coming off an ACL injury. He isnt replacing Takk or Beasley at end on passing downs so where do you see him playing exactly? 

You want to talk about a toxic player? Wilkerson is just that. Signed his extension and then literally stopped trying and constantly showed up late to meetings or missed them all together. Jets released him so he wouldn't be a toxic influence around the young players. 

Ontop of that theres a really good chance both Wilkerson and Murphy get paid more than Bennett does. 

We're losing alot of players on the dline, so far Shelby, Poe and Clayborn most likley follow. We don't have alot of money to spend in FA and its going to be hard able to fill up the dline with talented players through the draft considering our other needs. 

Bennett makes sense from a talent, production, need and cap perspective. Another nice thing about acquiring Bennett is we will most likley be able to keep the incoming 3rd or 4th round pick for Poe instead of using that similar amount of money on a FA and losing that pick.

Lastly as for all this locker room distraction stuff. Other than that one report saying the Seahawks want to "quiet down the locker room" that came out a few days ago, has there ever been a mention of Bennett being a distraction? Not one player or coach has said Bennett, or any player has been an issue in the locker room. If you have proof, please offer it up.

you already cited the proof for me, hes available cause he cant shut up. smart players/coaches wont talk about teammates hopefully ever and certainly while theyre still teammates.

Bennett cant play full time inside either but weve seen time and time again around teh league ends rushing from inside on pass downs. either murphy or takk can do it enough.im not gonna debate on if those two are better, you asked who was and i gave reasonable options. Murphy would be a player on the way up, these are the players you want to take advantage of, no guys going down being paid like theyre still in their prime.

youre next point makes no sense, we have a need and not a lot of money so lets trade for a guy that will not only cost a pick but will be 15.5 mil cap hot over the next two years? we dont have to sign a guy that cost even half as much as him amd can likely add more than half the production he would. they would cancel out your next point that doesnt make sense of losing whatever pick poe brings back. Ignoring that wed have to give one up for bennett, as i already said we dont have to sign a high dollar guy. unfortunately theres a few guys leaving and those could be cancelled out instead.

Bennett does really make sense from a cap perspective, lets just scratch that one off the list right now. He does fit a need, but so do a lot of other guys, and his talent is on the wane. as i already said, guy is a pos, costs too much, and just isnt worth it imo.

7 hours ago, BABPITT said:

I will take Richardson over him because of his age but once you said " overpaid & lockerroom distraction" you lost me there because wilkerson was overpaid and then quit on his team soon as he got his money barely showed up for meetings and was a lockerroom distraction and i heard Richardson was a problem to in the lockerroom.Murphy had one good year if you ask me ,so i can't see where any of them are clearly better then Bennett

neitehr wilkerson or richardson have shown the repeated on field antics of bennett and really even the off field stuff af generally being an ahole.Wilkerson was overpaid and got lazy, which is why hes looking at a shorter term deal at lower money, theres really no  questioning his talent. saying murphy had one good year is pretty silly. hes improved each of the three years hes played, this is generally seen as a good thing. you want guys on the rise, not the other end of it, agree?

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you already cited the proof for me, hes available cause he cant shut up. smart players/coaches wont talk about teammates hopefully ever and certainly while theyre still teammates.

Bennett cant play full time inside either but weve seen time and time again around teh league ends rushing from inside on pass downs. either murphy or takk can do it enough.im not gonna debate on if those two are better, you asked who was and i gave reasonable options. Murphy would be a player on the way up, these are the players you want to take advantage of, no guys going down being paid like theyre still in their prime.

youre next point makes no sense, we have a need and not a lot of money so lets trade for a guy that will not only cost a pick but will be 15.5 mil cap hot over the next two years? we dont have to sign a guy that cost even half as much as him amd can likely add more than half the production he would. they would cancel out your next point that doesnt make sense of losing whatever pick poe brings back. Ignoring that wed have to give one up for bennett, as i already said we dont have to sign a high dollar guy. unfortunately theres a few guys leaving and those could be cancelled out instead.

Bennett does really make sense from a cap perspective, lets just scratch that one off the list right now. He does fit a need, but so do a lot of other guys, and his talent is on the wane. as i already said, guy is a pos, costs too much, and just isnt worth it imo.

There's one report from Ian Rappaport saying the Seahawks want to quiet down the locker. Ians been pretty hit or miss over the years with the Seahawks. There isnt a single mention of any locker room issues by any Seattle Seahawks beat reporter. Greg Bell whos the most plugged in Seahawks beat reporter hasnt mentioned anything about it either which is pretty telling. 

As for possibly playing DT. Takk weighs 250 and Murphy weighs 255. They aren't rushing from the DT spot. The DEs who kick inside on DQ teams weigh at least 270. And no Wilkerson and Murphy arent clearly better options like you stated. Especially when you consider the salary both of them will receive being FAs, fit (Murphy), and the on field competitiveness (Wilkerson) that DQ always stresses. 

As for the cap hit. You know if traded Bennetts cap hit isnt what it is right now, right? That number will go down to about 5.5 mil in the first year. You're telling me that isnt great value on a DE/DT who just put up 8.5 sacks, for a cap strapped team who has a need on the dline? I have yet to come across a single Seahawks fan on any board who says he isnt great value for what he provides. Also who's this player you can sign for 2.75 million that can add more than half of what Bennett provides? Im interested curious. 

And you keep saying hes declining but is he really? He just put up 8.5 sacks which is tied for the second most in a season for him. Those sacks would have been good for second most on the team behind Clayborn whos all but gone this off-season. 

So like I said from a fit, cap, need and talent POV Bennett makes so much sense. But we'll see what happens. I have a feeling DQ gets it done.

7 minutes ago, jarren said:

There's one report from Ian Rappaport saying the Seahawks want to quiet down the locker. Ians been pretty hit or miss over the years with the Seahawks. There isnt a single mention of any locker room issues by any Seattle Seahawks beat reporter. Greg Bell whos the most plugged in Seahawks beat reporter hasnt mentioned anything about it either which is pretty telling. 

As for possibly playing DT. Takk weighs 250 and Murphy weighs 255. They aren't rushing from the DT spot. The DEs who kick inside on DQ teams weigh at least 270. And no Wilkerson and Murphy arent clearly better options like you stated. Especially when you consider the salary both of them will receive being FAs, fit (Murphy), and the on field competitiveness (Wilkerson) that DQ always stresses. 

As for the cap hit. You know if traded Bennetts cap hit isnt what it is right now, right? That number will go down to about 5.5 mil in the first year. You're telling me that isnt great value on a DE/DT who just put up 8.5 sacks, for a cap strapped team who has a need on the dline? I have yet to come across a single Seahawks fan on any board who says he isnt great value for what he provides. Also who's this player you can sign for 2.75 million that can add more than half of what Bennett provides? Im interested curious. 

And you keep saying hes declining but is he really? He just put up 8.5 sacks which is tied for the second most in a season for him. Those sacks would have been good for second most on the team behind Clayborn whos all but gone this off-season. 

So like I said from a fit, cap, need and talent POV Bennett makes so much sense. But we'll see what happens. I have a feeling DQ gets it done.

yea, im going with rappaport, you know cause he gets paid to do this, along with bennets repeated actions we've all seen and the numerous papers using rappoprt as a legit source. 

PLease list any and all examples of Quinn kicking guys inside to rush on pass downs and their weights. Is it a sample size of 1? 2? 7? Why cant a guy rush at 260 from DT occasionally on pass downs, please break that down as well. Again, im not debating who you feel is better, those are reasonable options. 

I imagine youre talking about the roster bonus Bennett is due, why would seattle wait to pay that then trade him? theyre obviously going to want something done before the 18th so they dont have to eat 3 mil, so we'll just go with what his cap hit actually is, thats 8.

and yes, he is declining.Hes dealt with injuries the last couple years, will be 33, had 2 sacks in the 2nd half last year and 5 total in 2016. You calim him being a lockerrom issue is bs, why are the seahawks looking to drop him? Beasleys moving back to end and takk is coming off a really good rookie year those are the guys who should be getting the majority of the snaps. Clayborn isnt a huge loss, half his sacks came in one game which kinda shows how flawed only looking at season totals is.

So like i said, doesnt really fit the cap, hes older and on the slide, and hes oen of many guys that could fit. Quinn doesnt have final say over draft, fa or trades so not sure why he would get it done, it would be td.

21 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yea, im going with rappaport, you know cause he gets paid to do this, along with bennets repeated actions we've all seen and the numerous papers using rappoprt as a legit source. 

PLease list any and all examples of Quinn kicking guys inside to rush on pass downs and their weights. Is it a sample size of 1? 2? 7? Why cant a guy rush at 260 from DT occasionally on pass downs, please break that down as well. Again, im not debating who you feel is better, those are reasonable options. 

I imagine youre talking about the roster bonus Bennett is due, why would seattle wait to pay that then trade him? theyre obviously going to want something done before the 18th so they dont have to eat 3 mil, so we'll just go with what his cap hit actually is, thats 8.

and yes, he is declining.Hes dealt with injuries the last couple years, will be 33, had 2 sacks in the 2nd half last year and 5 total in 2016. You calim him being a lockerrom issue is bs, why are the seahawks looking to drop him? Beasleys moving back to end and takk is coming off a really good rookie year those are the guys who should be getting the majority of the snaps. Clayborn isnt a huge loss, half his sacks came in one game which kinda shows how flawed only looking at season totals is.

So like i said, doesnt really fit the cap, hes older and on the slide, and hes oen of many guys that could fit. Quinn doesnt have final say over draft, fa or trades so not sure why he would get it done, it would be td.

Yeah, because the beat reporters who are also way more connected to the team than Ian Rappaport, aren't getting paid. 

You can research all the guys Quinn has used at both DE and DT yourself going back to his days in Seattle. None of them are under 270. Last year for example Quinn used Clayborn, Crawford, Upshaw, and Shelby at both DE and DT. All of them are over 270. And I thinks its pretty obvious as to why guys under 260 are rarely used as inside pass rushers, even on obvious passing downs.  

I went and did the math and Bennett is due $6.65M, $7M, and $8.5M if the Seahawks trade him before March 18. In 2018, Bennett would be due $1.65M in base salary, plus a $4M roster bonus due on March 18 and $1 million in per game roster bonuses. You're telling me that isn't awesome value? Even at what hes being paid now his contract is still awesome. This isnt even debatable. You seem to have very little understanding of salaries around the league. I suggest you do some research. 

As to why the Seahawks are looking to trade him. Who knows? Mabey they want to recoup some draft picks and get younger. I wont argue that the Seahawks may want a bit of a culture change but that doesn't mean Bennett is some big locker room distraction. Again other than one vague statement by Rappaport there's been no evidence linking Bennett to any locker room issues.

You're also missing how Bennett, Takk and Beasley can all coexist and play alot of snaps. Sure Beasley is moving back to end but hes not someone you want on the field on rushing plays. Bennett can provide snaps at DE on rushing downs and DT on passing downs. Hes an extremely versatile and valuable piece on have in a defense like ours. With the loss of both Shelby and Clayborn were in need of that DT\DE hybrid. Also I already touched on Clayborns sack total a few post ago. While he isn't a huge loss hes still a valuable piece to our dline due to his versatility and a loss that will sting if not replaced.

Bennett fills a sizable need at a bargain for what he provides. To say he doesn't fit our cap is just dumb. Whats out there for 3.3 million that is better value than Bennett at 6.65? Please list these players?

Ignoring the vast amounts of salt in here from people who have various agendas, Bennett is still a highly-productive player at his age, especially at stopping the run. Atlanta would probably be a great fit for him on a short deal, and I think so would Oakland (though I'm not familiar with their interior defenders, which may be more the point). He's still too quick for interior OL and he blows up run plays with consistency. I think if you pair him with a Vic Beasley or Khalil Mack you'd see more of the same production you got when Cliff Avril was healthy for the Seahawks.

Archived