Michael Bennet somehow traded to the Eagles. What the heck.

Kiwibrown

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

When is the last time a team was built as much through trades and free agency as the Eagles are that saw success like they did this past season? Kind of crazy. That aren't many franchise players that were drafted by them. Cox, Graham, Wentz, Lane Johnson, Ertz and who else?

Vaitai, Kelce, Hicks, Kendricks, Mills, Agholor, Barnett... etc. Eagles have done well in the draft to build this team. Lets not just discredit that. 

2 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Vaitai, Kelce, Hicks, Kendricks, Mills, Agholor, Barnett... etc. Eagles have done well in the draft to build this team. Lets not just discredit that. 

Eagles have done an outstanding job in their choices/ratio regarding what talent they draft, who they keep and who the bring in (and for what price).

Only iffy one to me was Vinny Curry’s contract. But even he was important to their success this season, so..

12 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Yea majority of our team has been drafted (and many of our backups as well). Howie has done a good job supplementing them with trades and FA, but lets not act like this team was built through FA. 

7 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

Eagles have done an outstanding job in their choices/ratio regarding what talent they draft, who they keep and who the bring in (and for what price).

Only iffy one to me was Vinny Curry’s contract. But even he was important to their success this season, so..

Yeah I never liked the Curry contract to be honest, and that is why he is going to be be traded or cut soon. He's a good rotational player and helped a lot last year, but with Bennet coming into the team, there is no need for him anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Eagles fans were begging to jettison a lot of those guys this time last year. If anything, it speaks more to your coaching staff for being able to get the most out of those guys than the front office for drafting them. And those guys aren't in the same universe as the franchise guys I mentioned above, except for Kelce. 

You hear all the time that you need to build through the draft. I think the Eagles are challenging that philosophy by creating a Super Bowl winning team through free agency and trades. 

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Eagles fans were begging to jettison a lot of those guys this time last year. If anything, it speaks more to your coaching staff for being able to get the most out of those guys than the front office for drafting them. And those guys aren't in the same universe as the franchise guys I mentioned above, except for Kelce. 

You hear all the time that you need to build through the draft. I think the Eagles are challenging that philosophy by creating a Super Bowl winning team through free agency and trades. 

Lol you expect the whole team to be "Franchise guys" like the ones you mentioned??? I hope that's a joke. 

This team is build with good depth, and that's what we showed last year. We have a lot of good players that we have drafted that can start for a lot of teams, but are backups here. Yes we have made some trades, but not for "Franchise guys" that are cornerstones of this team. A lot of the guys that this team is build around is drafted and groomed by the coaching staff. 

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

How many franchise players do you expect one team to have?

Arguably our top 6 performers from the past year (Wentz, Cox, Lane, Graham, Ertz, Kelce) all came through the draft. Many more players (Vaitai, Hicks, Kendricks, Mills, Curry, Agoholor, Clement, Burton, Hollins, Allen, Barnett, heck even Foles originally) played key roles throughout the year and were also drafted by us. 

Adding Long, Jeffrey, Smith, Jerrnigan, Brooks, and Wiesnewski all helped and paid dividends. And to be honest, I don't care how we win and would be fine if it was all free agents. But I simply do not think that is the case here. 

My point was that the Eagles have built their roster on the back of more trades and free agency deals than a lot of teams and have broken the trend to find success while doing that. Then someone used backup/marginal players to justify that the Eagles drafted well, which I never disputed. Not sure why Eagles fans are getting defensive about this. Are you arguing my point that the Eagles built their team through free agency and the draft? Because this is an objective figure that can be backed up.

I could be wrong about my assertion. I'd love to see the numbers of NFL average for starters playing for the the team that drafted them and where each team ranks. I looked but the most recent data I found is 2015, when the Eagles had 22, average was 27, low was 19 and high was 37. I also found this about the 2016 season, which has the Eagles drafting 10 starters in 23 selections, same as the Giants (who drafted so poorly recently that the FO was blown up).

cauldron.com/which-nfl-teams-actually-build-through-the-draft-do-they-win-more-1482d977f8fe

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/04/how_each_nfl_team_has_-_or_has.html

Don't take this as an indictment of the Eagles or as a negative thing. Jesus christ you just won the super bowl. Whatever you're doing is working. 

If someone can find more recent data and prove me wrong, awesome.

This Bennett trade is another trade robbery for Roseman. 

Howie is amazing. Eagles are just getting better and better. It will be interesting to see how they play this upcoming season. Anything less than 13 wins will be seen as a failure. People already screaming REPEAT! 

If anything, Howie Roseman has undone the curse of Vince Young’s dubious “Dream Team” proclamation years back as an Eagle. I remember the old theory that “teams aren’t built through free agency” used to be relevant, ha. 

Archived