Life after Joe Thomas

CBrownsman

I have been saying for quite a while that Thomas' return is no sure thing and a new LT might have to be drafted. Unfortunately, I hope he returns for at least one more season, because this draft is very weak at LT's and if he thinks we might win in 2019, he might add a year or 2 before retiring, at least maybe???

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

It also might make sense to trade up to the end of the first round and grab a future left tackle even if Joe doesn't retire. That 5th year option will give us an additional 4 years with that player after this year. Most of us expect Joe to retire by the end of this season, so it's not like that rookie will be waiting very long to play. One year of seasoning may be just what is needed.

If  the browns have another craptastic season, he retires. If the browns show promise, I could see him staying longer 

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If  the browns have another craptastic season, he retires. If the browns show promise, I could see him staying longer 

I could easily see him retire if the Browns don't sign a good FA QB.  

I could see if play 3 more years if we did sign a FA QB and actually made the playoffs this year.  

23 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

I could easily see him retire if the Browns don't sign a good FA QB.  

I could see if play 3 more years if we did sign a FA QB and actually made the playoffs this year.  

Idk, his knees are apparently shot.

At some point you have to wonder when the pain isn’t worth it any more. He’s already rich and has earned his gold jacket. 

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk, his knees are apparently shot.

At some point you have to wonder when the pain isn’t worth it any more. He’s already rich and has earned his gold jacket. 

he sure doesnt play like his knees are shot tho

Any chance that Shon Coleman could eventually take over for JT? I know a lot of people seem to be split on him as a RT, but I thought he played admirably for a first year starter who was considered very raw entering the league. I think he probably has the athleticism needed to play on the left side. Then again, they might be better just keeping him at RT where they know he can play.

I don't anticipate the OT classes ever getting much stronger either because offensive lineman are coaches like garbage at the college level anymore. Offensive lineman are coming into the league miles behind compared to what they used to and even the good ones struggle for the first year or two. If the Browns think they are going to land a day 1 starter they won't like what happens on Sundays.

If we have a year left then the time to draft is now. The time to draft was actually last year or even the year before. If other teams would even be dumb enough to let it happen I would try trading for a younger vet needing a new contract(ewan, Fisher ect) before drafting a LT high.

41 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I don't anticipate the OT classes ever getting much stronger either because offensive lineman are coaches like garbage at the college level anymore. Offensive lineman are coming into the league miles behind compared to what they used to and even the good ones struggle for the first year or two. If the Browns think they are going to land a day 1 starter they won't like what happens on Sundays.

Yessir.

Now’s the time to draft a 2019 starter.

Tyrell Crosby is a guy I would like to see us consider. Braden Smith I think has a lot of upside and can be had probably late round 2 early round 3. If we do decide to upgrade from Tretter at C, I like James Daniels a lot. 

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Any chance that Shon Coleman could eventually take over for JT? I know a lot of people seem to be split on him as a RT, but I thought he played admirably for a first year starter who was considered very raw entering the league. I think he probably has the athleticism needed to play on the left side. Then again, they might be better just keeping him at RT where they know he can play.

I personally think that Coleman is a RT all day and not a LT. He's a pretty good run blocker but isn't LT material in pass protection. I think Coleman was very average as a starter this year, which isn't overly hateful for a 2nd year guy in today's college game, especially one coming from Auburn, who may as well run the WING T from the shotgun (Buck, Trap, Counter, Waggle). I'm fine giving him this year at RT and seeing what happens.

That said, if we draft a future STUD LT, then I'd be fine with him starting at RT and then moving there next year/the year after.

10 hours ago, DawgX said:

Probably not,doesn't have the feet.  If JT does come back, I would love to take Desmond Harrison or Brian O'Neil with pick #65. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Orlando Brown in with a 5th or 6th round pick to try to develop as a RT as well.

Archived