Richard Sherman Agrees to a 3 Year Deal

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As long as he is close to being his old self, we probably got the best value from any CB signing. I don't like going after Shead even though he has experience in the scheme. Why not someone like Desir instead? Not like he is going to be too expensive. 

I dont see much difference between Shead and Desir and probably Shead is the better player. Desir has really done nothing since coming in the league while Shead has improved every year until he got injured in the play-offs in 2016 and just was able to return at the end of last season. 

I liked what he said about trying to tip the pass to the saftey "we talk about it, if you're flying in don't hit me, because I'll tip it to you" 

Aaaaaannnnnndddddd I was typing that out I had flashbacks to the 2013 nfccg. Goddamn lol

The craziest part about this signing to me is that we are on the receiving end of a rivals player. How many times have we seen a Niner become a raider or Seahawk or a giant become a dodger? it doesn't happen the other way around very often but it feels like a lot of our players end up on those teams. Can anyone else name a player that crossed over onto our side? 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I liked what he said about trying to tip the pass to the saftey "we talk about it, if you're flying in don't hit me, because I'll tip it to you" 

Aaaaaannnnnndddddd I was typing that out I had flashbacks to the 2013 nfccg. Goddamn lol

The craziest part about this signing to me is that we are on the receiving end of a rivals player. How many times have we seen a Niner become a raider or Seahawk or a giant become a dodger? it doesn't happen the other way around very often but it feels like a lot of our players end up on those teams. Can anyone else name a player that crossed over onto our side? 

Off the top of my head Ken Norton w/the Cowboys, Isaac Bruce with the Rams, and Scrabble with the Raiders. But I hear what you're saying and maybe it's bc we always have so many great players... maybe we set a limit to like 5 from here on out, that'll teach em a lesson :P

4 hours ago, the-catch said:

Off the top of my head Ken Norton w/the Cowboys, Isaac Bruce with the Rams, and Scrabble with the Raiders. But I hear what you're saying and maybe it's bc we always have so many great players... maybe we set a limit to like 5 from here on out, that'll teach em a lesson :P

Yeah, Ken Norton was my first thought, as well, though that team had some others who defected from other NFC rivals. Rickey Jackson (New Orleans), Deion (Atlanta), Tim McDonald  (Cardinals) and Richard Dent (Bears), though Dent was hurt for most of the year and didn't make much of an impact. This was back when the Saints and Falcons were still in the NFC West, and the Jackson and Sanders defections were pretty serious, with the Falcons even playing the theme song to the Mickey Mouse club for Deion when the 49ers visited them that season.

Been a long time, tho.

48 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Yeah, Ken Norton was my first thought, as well, though that team had some others who defected from other NFC rivals. Rickey Jackson (New Orleans), Deion (Atlanta), Tim McDonald  (Cardinals) and Richard Dent (Bears), though Dent was hurt for most of the year and didn't make much of an impact. This was back when the Saints and Falcons were still in the NFC West, and the Jackson and Sanders defections were pretty serious, with the Falcons even playing the theme song to the Mickey Mouse club for Deion when the 49ers visited them that season.

Been a long time, tho.

Why the Mickey mouse club song?

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

Why the Mickey mouse club song?

Somebody in the Falcons organization had called the Deion signing a "Mickey Mouse move" at the time it happened, if I recall correctly. Playing the song was just continuing the joke, I guess. Falcons fans were really bitter about Sanders leaving for San Francisco.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:31 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

As long as he is close to being his old self, we probably got the best value from any CB signing. I don't like going after Shead even though he has experience in the scheme. Why not someone like Desir instead? Not like he is going to be too expensive. 

With Shead signing in Det, have to imagine that Desir is now on the radar at the very least. Not sure if we will take a shot - we had the chance last year and bypassed him, but I can't imagine that we are done with the cornerback spot. Sherman could definitely be a great get, but the FO has to admit that it comes with risk and doesn't necessarily fix the issue. A third cornerback would be good to have anyway since the cupboard is pretty barren, and someone who could start if Sherman isn't ready to go for whatever reason would probably be a good thing. 

And here's my required shout out for Ross Cockrell lol

1 hour ago, Forge said:

With Shead signing in Det, have to imagine that Desir is now on the radar at the very least. Not sure if we will take a shot - we had the chance last year and bypassed him, but I can't imagine that we are done with the cornerback spot. Sherman could definitely be a great get, but the FO has to admit that it comes with risk and doesn't necessarily fix the issue. A third cornerback would be good to have anyway since the cupboard is pretty barren, and someone who could start if Sherman isn't ready to go for whatever reason would probably be a good thing. 

And here's my required shout out for Ross Cockrell lol

I think a corner will be among our first 3 picks. I see no reason why we wouldn't. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I think a corner will be among our first 3 picks. I see no reason why we wouldn't. 

I agree. I know that people don't know about the Ward fit, but that still makes sense to me. He's sticky in man coverage, has experience in zone and man, and he's just a damn good corner. We do seem to be very intent on finding the best fits for our schemes, so I'm thinking Oliver could be a target in round 2, even if it requires a trade up. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I agree. I know that people don't know about the Ward fit, but that still makes sense to me. He's sticky in man coverage, has experience in zone and man, and he's just a damn good corner. We do seem to be very intent on finding the best fits for our schemes, so I'm thinking Oliver could be a target in round 2, even if it requires a trade up. 

Yeah, Lynch has been pretty rigid on sticking to scheme fits, but Ward is the sort of guy I'd personally make an exception for. Measuring in at ~5'11" helped. Oliver and Carlton Davis should be hanging somewhere in that early mid second round range unless things get corner crazy. I prefer Oliver (even as an Auburn alum) and I think that the coaching staff will agree, but I think there'll be options where we pick.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'd love Oliver in the 2nd if he fell to our pick.  Not crazy about trading up unless I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's way better than anyone that would be left to at our scheduled pick. Or even at some other position in the second and take one in the third.

Archived